PDA

View Full Version : CD should not default as a repos.

kd7swh
November 16th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Who here hates having the ubuntu cd in the repos. by default as much as I do?

diskotek
November 16th, 2007, 12:19 PM
is it about hating to put ubuntu in cd-rom when installing anything?
just uncheck it on "software sources" if you mention it :)

AndyCooll
November 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Obviously you need the CD to do the install. I'd quite like it if at the end of the install it didn't keep this as the default repo (or that's how it seems to me).

Having said that, as has been mentioned, it's no great hardship to manually amend the repositories. This could potentially be more of a problem for newbies who may get the idea that the only way to install software is with the CD always in the drive.

:cool:

K.Mandla
November 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
It's useful early in the life of a release, since it can be quicker to access the CD than the repositories for new software.

But after a while the stuff on the CD becomes outdated, and you end up going to the repos anyway.

If you don't like being asked for the CD, you could mount the ISO to a phony drive and get the best of both worlds. (I think. I haven't actually done this ... but it sounds like a good idea! :p )

kd7swh
November 17th, 2007, 01:37 AM
I remove the CD from my sources on all my installs. (My internet connection is faster than my CD-ROM)

APTonCD is nice, and I like being able to use CD as repos. but as a default I think it gets messy.

LaRoza
November 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM
For people who don't have the internet, it is quite useful. It is easier to remove than to add for a new user.

p_quarles
November 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I remove the CD from my sources on all my installs. (My internet connection is faster than my CD-ROM)

APTonCD is nice, and I like being able to use CD as repos. but as a default I think it gets messy.
I always disable it as well, but like K.Mandla pointed out, the CD-ROM drive (while it my be slower than your net connection) is faster than the repository servers when they're under strain from a new release. Having it as the default adds some basic functionality to brand new installations. Not to mention for dial-up and internet-deprived persons.

yatt
November 17th, 2007, 03:00 AM
For people who don't have the internet, it is quite useful. It is easier to remove than to add for a new user.
No its not. To install software from an Ubuntu CD, you stick it in your CD drive, and it will ask you if you would like to install software from it.

To remove it as a source, you have to open Software Sources then remove it.

-grubby
November 17th, 2007, 03:04 AM
what are you talking about? that never happens to me. It happens on Debian though..