PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster has lost their mind

Ride Jib
August 31st, 2005, 10:49 PM
So, last night my roommate and I head on down to Blockbuster to rent Forza for the ole' xbox. I get up to the counter and the guy rings me up, and notifies me I owe $8.00+tax. I ask him if I had forgetten to return something, or perhaps he rang me up twice. No. That is $8 for a video game rental.

I think I'll resort to other methods of playing this game, since I have one of those Xecuter's in my box.

Anyway, am I getting old or has Blockbuster lost their mind?

macgyver2
August 31st, 2005, 11:10 PM
So, last night my roommate and I head on down to Blockbuster to rent Forza for the ole' xbox. I get up to the counter and the guy rings me up, and notifies me I owe $8.00+tax. I ask him if I had forgetten to return something, or perhaps he rang me up twice. No. That is $8 for a video game rental.

I think I'll resort to other methods of playing this game, since I have one of those Xecuter's in my box.

Anyway, am I getting old or has Blockbuster lost their mind?
Dang, that's a bit crazy! I haven't rented from there for a long time. Maybe that's how they're covering that return-it-whenever-you-want-with-no-penalty thing?

Ride Jib
August 31st, 2005, 11:17 PM
Dang, that's a bit crazy! I haven't rented from there for a long time. Maybe that's how they're covering that return-it-whenever-you-want-with-no-penalty thing?

No, that's actually just a marketing scam. They also have a $1.25 "restocking fee" if you return it late.

trash
August 31st, 2005, 11:22 PM
Friends and I have boycotted them for years now, for their prices and policies regarding films.
There are way better places to rent from in most areas.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
I have moved on to Netflix. Maybe they have a game rental service for $18 a month.

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
That's just sick. I think the guy at the counter was trying to get some extra cash for the night on your account..

xequence
August 31st, 2005, 11:27 PM
8$ for one night rental? I dont remember how much it is around here...

You gotta wonder if its cheaper to buy a new PC and download the games then pay 80$ to buy a game and all...

Ride Jib
August 31st, 2005, 11:58 PM
That's just sick. I think the guy at the counter was trying to get some extra cash for the night on your account..

Nah, after hearing what he was saying, I took note of the large sign behind him listing all the prices.

I guess I should have clarified, they have a minimum of a 1 week rental. I don't want the thing for a week. I want it for 30 minutes.

He also told me they are trying to do away with game rentals completely.

bored2k
September 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM
Nah, after hearing what he was saying, I took note of the large sign behind him listing all the prices.

I guess I should have clarified, they have a minimum of a 1 week rental. I don't want the thing for a week. I want it for 30 minutes.

* Blockbuster -- uncheck *

I ain't going there, ever.

claydoh
September 1st, 2005, 12:13 AM
LOL that has definitely got to be one of the reasons why they charge the $8 [-X

MetalMusicAddict
September 1st, 2005, 12:39 AM
Netflix (http://www.netflix.com) and Gamefly (https://www.gamefly.com). The best. ;) I dont use Gamefly though. Netflix has been great for years. EVERYONE in the states should use it. :)

poofyhairguy
September 1st, 2005, 12:44 AM

And things like Netflix are trying to get rid of blockbuster completely!

WildTangent
September 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM
are they insane? thats a major part of their sales i would think... i dont know where id go for game rentals. block buster is really the only video and game rental place around here, quite frankly, all the other places suck. i dont mind the prices, as long as theres a good selection.

-Wild

byen
September 1st, 2005, 01:59 AM
ditto here, me and my roomies hate blockbuster! there was a time when they were the only video store in a 5 sq mile radius (yes..there are such places even now in detroit) and they charged 4.35/movie and 4.79/game for 2 nights! when my buddy griped abt it... a store employee, who was 'one of us'....told us that blockbuster lets their managers decide the prices based on their competition and market...and since they had none....they were chargin this high!!well...that was the end of that! All we wanna do is rent a movie, buy some pop and relax...and the though of being ripped off is the last thing we need while watchin a movie! Its sad..but oh well....now recently they opened a new family video and a hollywood video and life is all good. Blockbuster has a big sign outside sayin "reduced prices, no overages"-thanks,but no-thanks!