PDA

View Full Version : GUI display during Ubuntu boot?

ajmas
August 31st, 2005, 07:06 PM
One thing that I have noticed in most Linux distributions is that they still start up in text mode and list everything that it is doing before finally getting to the login screen, even if the login screen is GUI based. Given that Ubuntu seems to be targeting the "average Joe" type user, it would be nice if we could actually replace that with a GUI display, like in MS-Windows or MacOS X. The display could either be as vague a MS-Windows, or a bit more informative like MacOS X.

Small things like this are the sort of polish that most non-tech heads appreciate.

I am not sure what it would take, but given that there are already GUI based boot managers, I can't see this as being impossible.

Brunellus
August 31st, 2005, 07:11 PM
One thing that I have noticed in most Linux distributions is that they still start up in text mode and list everything that it is doing before finally getting to the login screen, even if the login screen is GUI based. Given that Ubuntu seems to be targeting the "average Joe" type user, it would be nice if we could actually replace that with a GUI display, like in MS-Windows or MacOS X. The display could either be as vague a MS-Windows, or a bit more informative like MacOS X.

Small things like this are the sort of polish that most non-tech heads appreciate.

I am not sure what it would take, but given that there are already GUI based boot managers, I can't see this as being impossible.
1) This is already in the works for the next version. If you're brave, you can run breezy.

2) read my sig

ajmas
August 31st, 2005, 07:19 PM
Good to know. I'll give Breezy a go.

BTW Someone just sent me this: http://www.bootsplash.org/ (might be useful for anyone who wants a graphical boot screen now without waiting for Breezy).

Brunellus
August 31st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Good to know. I'll give Breezy a go.

BTW Someone just sent me this: http://www.bootsplash.org/ (might be useful for anyone who wants a graphical boot screen now without waiting for Breezy).
there are still non-trivial problems with Breezy, I am given to understand, though...like the X server (if the warnings on #ubuntu are to be believed). So be advised.

ajmas
August 31st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to install it using my x86 emulator, so I don't feel I had too much to lose.