PDA

View Full Version : Singapore bans Microsoft's video game for sex scene

Sporkman
November 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071115/tc_nm/microsoft_singapore_ban_dc_2

Singapore bans Microsoft's video game for sex scene: paper

Thu Nov 15, 5:41 AM ET

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore has banned a Microsoft Corp video game which contains a scene showing a human woman and an alien woman kissing and caressing each other, a local newspaper reported on Thursday.

The Straits Times said "Mass Effect" -- a highly anticipated futuristic space adventure game from Microsoft -- was banned by Singapore's Media Development Authority.

In October, Singapore's parliament decided to keep a ban on sex between men, and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that the city-state should keep its conservative values and not allow special rights for homosexuals.

Singapore is the only country to have banned the game, so far, and it is the first Microsoft video game to be banned in the city-state, The Straits Times said.

The move has caused an outcry among local and international gamers who said the decision was too strict, the newspaper said.

The report said Singapore has in the past, banned at least two other video games -- Sony Corp's "God Of War 2," for nudity, and unlisted Top Cow Productions' "The Darkness," for excessive violence and religiously offensive expletives.

n3tfury
November 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
lol, China

mellowd
November 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
lol, China

What's China got to do with it? Singapore is a Republic.

D-EJ915
November 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
not really surprised, chewing gum is illegal there

Kingsley
November 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
*waits for some airhead to interpret this as the advancement of Ubuntu and demise of Microsoft*

CarpKing
November 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
not really surprised, chewing gum is illegal there

Unless it has "medicinal uses" (includes actual medical gum as well as Orbit).

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
*waits for some airhead to interpret this as the advancement of Ubuntu and demise of Microsoft*

Surprisingly I am gonna side with Microsoft on this one, really this kind of crap I really hate... come on its a friggin video game!
If Microsoft fights for this one I will be rooting for them, as the reasoning behind this ban is just stupid and rather homophobic...

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Microsoft is making a game?

mellowd
November 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Microsoft is making a game?

As far as I know Microsoft is just the publisher. Bioware is the developer

Paul820
November 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Governments are doing this too much if you ask me, i was waiting for manhunt2 but our government banned it. I am an adult, i decide what my limit is, not some silly old farts sat behind a desk that don't even use half of the technology we have now. It's really annoying :mad:

Phil Airtime
November 16th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I like the sound of that country.

n3tfury
November 16th, 2007, 03:44 AM
What's China got to do with it? Singapore is a Republic.

yeah, sometimes i just get them mixed up.

sp0onman
November 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
hehe they allow it in movies but not in games. as long as mass effect isn't banned in aus ill be happy, been waitin for this game for 2 years.

inversekinetix
November 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM
who cares, they run their country as they see fit.

TeaSwigger
November 16th, 2007, 07:23 AM
What great publicity for MicroSoft(tm).

Espreon
November 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
LOL! Singapore is like the Temple of Illegalities! But if Singapore was gonna ban things for the benefit of their people they should ban Micro$***.