PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu the "gateway distro"?

SomeGuyDude
November 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Just an idle question here.

Ubuntu's probably the most attractive version of Linux for a newbie, in my opinion. You could argue that this one or that one, all by itself, is simpler to use, but the community here is just unbelievable and that's what makes the difference. Even if some things take a little more work, there's more people to help you through it.

So I can't help but wonder: does that make Linux the "gateway" distro? Helping people pop their Linux cherry and then, giving them the confidence that they can indeed change their OS, helping them go and try another?

Personally, I'm all curious to try out DreamLinux or Mandriva (I'm pretty sure I took a whack at Mandrake YEARS ago but it ended terribly), but I can't figure out why aside from the fact that I loved making the switch to Ubuntu so much, I need that "rush" again. :lolflag:

This isn't to decry Ubuntu in any way, just to wonder if its ease of use and great community make it an ideal launching point for people who might want to try the more advanced stuff but haven't ever ventured beyond Windows.

Dimitriid
November 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM
It is at the moment. I feel however, that the balance between stability and features needs to be re-balanced so to speak ( i.e. Compiz was fine as an opt in feature, as a "default on" feature and with compiz-fusion however its just asking for trouble and can ultimately alienate newcomers rather than attracting them )

igknighted
November 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM
It is at the moment. I feel however, that the balance between stability and features needs to be re-balanced so to speak ( i.e. Compiz was fine as an opt in feature, as a "default on" feature and with compiz-fusion however its just asking for trouble and can ultimately alienate newcomers rather than attracting them )

I sort of feel the opposite... that newcomers will be attracted to the rather gimicky nature of C-F (although perhaps not the rest of the default theme :)), but experienced users are more likely to get annoyed by it. Everyone loves C-F/Beryl when they first see it, but it the true geeks that despise it.

SomeGuyDude
November 15th, 2007, 08:23 AM

You know I didn't even realize Compiz was "default". I installed it right on top of things and never knew about it until I read it in here a few days ago.

Hey, a side question...

I also wonder if, as Ubuntu rises in popularity, people will start drifting away from it simply because it's popular. Obviously there's a contingent of Linux users who use their computers the way most people use their CD collections, and use their Linux installations as a way to break away from the pack.

If suddenly half the planet is on Ubuntu, how many people will switch to another one just to avoid being "one of the millions", like all of the fans of various bands do when they get too popular?

SomeGuyDude
November 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I sort of feel the opposite... that newcomers will be attracted to the rather gimicky nature of C-F (although perhaps not the rest of the default theme :)), but experienced users are more likely to get annoyed by it. Everyone loves C-F/Beryl when they first see it, but it the true geeks that despise it.

I'm not sure I'd agree, there. After all, "true geeks" are the ones who make their PCs look like Tie Fighters and have completely customized themes so their desktops look like FBI terminals. Can't imagine why they wouldn't appreciate some eye candy.

Besides, it makes the desktop feel like an actual desktop instead of pictures. I don't use too many of the effects, but having the "wobbly windows" and "dodge on focus", for example, gives the windows a feel of being solid objects, something that makes using the computer downright nifty.

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
actually I feel there are other distributions are better for beginners then Ubuntu, the ones that stand out are Mepis and PClinux.
I feel that from a windows user perspective (and yes I can still reflect on this) that ubuntu might be a tad intimidating when concerning it not loading things like windows codecs or flash by default. I know there are reasons for it, no need for a lecture there but perhaps the newcomer can get a better feeling if we directly tell them how to install proprietary software and such that they need, like big links to tutorials that show people how to install apps like automatix or similar
Granted, Ubuntu is easy once people get used to it and I feel ubuntu is one of the easiest distros out there, but we might need more on the documentation front.

disturbed1
November 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't say it's for n00bs, first timers, old hands, or any other specific group. If it happens to mesh with you, then so be it.

I went from RedHat 6.x to Suse ?.? to Mandrake 7.2, to Slackware. I stayed with Slackware/Vector Linux for a couple of years until official GNOME support was dropped. At that time Ubuntu Warty was in beta, so I dipped back and forth between Debian and Ubuntu. I'm a huge believer in GNOME, and don't agree with Troltech's licensing terms, so anything KDE/QT is 100% out of the question. Given Ubuntu's direct involvement with GNOME, there really isn't any other choice I could logically make. After Warty went final, my main PCs have always been Ubuntu and Ubuntu only, no dual boot mess.

I do keep a couple of spare PCs lying around to distro hop on. But nothing besides Debian and Ubuntu has ever migrated past those onto our main PCs.

After years and years of hand editing config files, compiling a custom kernel just to add the tulip driver, spending a few days compiling Gentoo and LFS which lead to nothing but a waste of time compared to binary distros. {b]HAVING[/b] to use lynks to browse a FAQ, or MUTT and PINE to read a mailing list because things are broke, It's kind of nice having a distro that cares and caters to it's users.

Ubuntu fits well for both the new users and the experienced users. There is nothing keeping me from compiling my own programs/kernel, nor editing any config file the way I want. Yet to have a fully useable system, no one typically has to do that.

To be honest, if Fedora or another distro with a large user base used debian packages instead of RPM, I'd be there in a heart beat. If Slackware had official support from Slackware for GNOME, I'd still be there :)

FG123
November 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Absolute rubbish. I'm a true geek and I appreciate the ability to zoom the desktop, change transparency of windows, scale the windows, etc, all using Compiz.

Geeks don't have to confine themselves with dull boring environments if there's better stuff out there. Disable the pointless stuff like window wobbles if you want, but there's a lot of actual functionality packaged into Fusion that I don't want to give up.

jrusso2
November 15th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure I'd agree, there. After all, "true geeks" are the ones who make their PCs look like Tie Fighters and have completely customized themes so their desktops look like FBI terminals. Can't imagine why they wouldn't appreciate some eye candy.

Besides, it makes the desktop feel like an actual desktop instead of pictures. I don't use too many of the effects, but having the "wobbly windows" and "dodge on focus", for example, gives the windows a feel of being solid objects, something that makes using the computer downright nifty.

The geekiest guys I know use blackbox, openbox or rat poison for a very minimal desktop.

They don't go in much for flash.

igknighted
November 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Absolute rubbish. I'm a true geek and I appreciate the ability to zoom the desktop, change transparency of windows, scale the windows, etc, all using Compiz.

Geeks don't have to confine themselves with dull boring environments if there's better stuff out there. Disable the pointless stuff like window wobbles if you want, but there's a lot of actual functionality packaged into Fusion that I don't want to give up.

I never said ALL, but look around and read some posts and look at who hates C-F... it's the flux/e17/openbox crowd... not the "new user" group. They flood the beginner talk forum w/ "how can I make it do _____" posts. So yes, us geeks love to customize. But many also cling to the extra milliseconds of response time, or the simplicity of a WM, or many other things. And they are much more vocal about their displeasure than a new user.

Besides, new user's gripes with C-F are usually with it being hard to set up. But now that Ubuntu has it activated by default, the user-config error is gone, and Ubuntu wont turn it on unless the system is capable. This should lead to less user-error to discourage them.

EDIT: Off topic, but your mentioning of plugins you enjoy reminds me of my fav... the atlantis plugin. I keep the cube at about 70% opaqueness so I can see the fish/whales/sharks swimming around inside, it always makes me smile :D

klange
November 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM

I have to agree with this - I was actually trying to explain the concept of having a more natural and realistic feel to a friend a few days ago.
Plus, awesome eye candy is a great thing for showing off.

Personally, I'm not looking to make my laptop the fastest PC on the block - as long as I can do my coding at a reasonable speed, I'll be fine, and when the extra eye candy doesn't slow things down much (hell, my laptop tends to be slower running without Compiz on! ), it makes the experience all the better.

-grubby
November 15th, 2007, 11:24 PM
The geekiest guys I know use blackbox, openbox or rat poison for a very minimal desktop.

They don't go in much for flash.

the geekiest people I know use pure CLI

alwiap
November 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I have tinkered with other distros in my blossoming linux hobby, but I feel at home with ubuntu. myself being not the most technically proficient, but not afraid to mess around with the system; i think ubuntu hits the happy medium between someone who HAS to have things the way they want it, and someone who uses the machine primarily for teh interwebs and a couple apps.

sure, people laugh at eye candy like wobbly windows in compiz, but hey, i think it looks cool, sue me! :) everyone is so much different and I think that ubuntu can cater to everyone's differences in OS preferences a lot better than anything I've ever used, that's why I'm using it :)

samjh
November 16th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I don't this Ubuntu is for complete newbies.

Ubuntu is a good distro for experienced computer users or otherwise technology-savvy people who want to move from Windows to a Linux distro.

However the fact that Ubuntu does not install popular proprietary codecs and native graphics drivers by default, makes it tricky for complete newbies whose only experience with computers is typing up simple documents and browsing news websites.

Distros like Linspire and Xandros are better than Ubuntu, IMHO. They mix Ubuntu's out-of-the-box usability with the ability to access proprietary media formats. Price is simply not an issue, considering that a full version of Windows is many times more expensive than any home Linux distro.

SomeGuyDude
November 16th, 2007, 02:57 AM
To clarify, I don't mean it's the "easiest". However, it's attractiveness, its ease, and the fact that the community is top notch I think combine to make it the most workable for most people who want to try Linux out. Hell I had Xandros before Ubuntu and it was the community that made me stay.

DjBones
November 16th, 2007, 04:51 AM
i think that the portion of the linux community that would be concerned with 'not conforming' to the same popular distro, probably doesn't use ubuntu in the first place.
they would probably be using slack/gentoo/arch/bsd.. or any of the other countless lighter unix-like source-based distro's.
(stereotypically the type of people that are more likely to use ratpoisen/wmii/jwm/flux and are power CLI people lol)

yatt
November 16th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Ubuntu lead me to Debian. Debian may be much more difficult to get going, but I find I do less maintenance on it. I seemed to have allot of serious, but not crucial problems with Ubuntu that are not big enough to turn me off Linux, but certainly Ubuntu. However, nothing could really match the Debian packaging system, and IMHO there were only two good .deb distros, so I moved from one to the other.

However, before I was able to reasonably setup a Debian system, I stuck to Ubuntu with periods of distro hopping. I still use Ubuntu as my repair CD, and as my suggestion to prospective newbs.

rfruth
November 16th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Kubuntu does it for me :KS

inversekinetix
November 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
i've had ubuntu for 3 weeks, my first linux experience. its really good, a few major pains trying to do simple things and a lot of being looked down on by experienced users. Overall I like it a lot, compiz is great for multitasking (had multiple desktops on windows but not nearly as nice) the command line is a really steep learning curve because most of the time people just tell you waht to copy and paste without explaining what it means/does.

I kind of feel sorry for windows now. I have XP set up like a dream、runs as fast as ubuntu, but for the last 3 weeks I have only booted it 2 or 3 times. I have wine working for some windows apps but have to turn back to windows proper for things like MAME, even though there is a linux version getting help is a joke, like wine was, nothing but bad attitude on the irc channels.

Ubuntu has pretty decent free support if you keep at it, but for the applications I find it lacking, the OS is one thing but if people can't get help with the apps they want to use they'll drop the OS in a second I think. Thats just my opinion. App support is not what it needs to be.

Espreon
November 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM
On the contrary 4 me I was interested in Puppy and DSL as a Linux n00b.

andrew.46
November 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Hi,

Couldn't agree with you more:

Ubuntu's probably the most attractive version of Linux for a newbie, in my opinion. You could argue that this one or that one, all by itself, is simpler to use, but the community here is just unbelievable and that's what makes the difference. Even if some things take a little more work, there's more people to help you through it.

So I can't help but wonder: does that make Linux the "gateway" distro? Helping people pop their Linux cherry and then, giving them the confidence that they can indeed change their OS, helping them go and try another?

I popped my cherry with Dapper Drake and after a long slow apprenticeship I have settled with Slackware. So yes, I agree completely with the idea of a 'gateway' distro. Now if only the Slackware guys were a little more friendly ....

Andrew

kopinux
November 21st, 2007, 01:56 AM
Ubuntu; Linux for Human Beings.

andrew.46
November 21st, 2007, 02:35 AM
Hi:

Ubuntu; Linux for Human Beings.

Hmmm.... yes that is the slogan and marketing catch-cry. It is part of a slick marketing campaign that is I believe not the best aspect of Ubuntu.

Andrew

gn2
November 21st, 2007, 03:07 AM
Here's why Ubuntu is so popular: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

Sadly Ubuntu is far from the best distro for first time users and is a little bit rough round the edges, so it's a good thing that this forum is so helpful.

PCLinuxOS is much easier to configure with GUI tools for everything,
Linux Mint is also a good choice for new users.

AusIV4
November 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM
I started using Ubuntu with Breezy Badger about 2 years ago. At the time, my intent was to get my feet wet in the waters of Linux, and I figured after a while I'd move on to a more "advanced" distro.

I used dapper for a while, and even switched my laptop over to Ubuntu, making a rather complete switch to Linux.

Then edgy came out. I had such a terrible time upgrading, I tried to use that opportunity to switch to something else. I tried Slackware and Gentoo and Open SuSE, but nothing seemed to work. My desktop stuck with Dapper up until feisty, and my laptop dual booted Windows and edgy.

When I bought a System76 Gazelle, I decided I was sticking with Ubuntu for the long haul. There may be a few things that could be improved about Ubuntu, but I've found it to be the most accessible operating system around.

Dimitriid
November 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM
You know I didn't even realize Compiz was "default". I installed it right on top of things and never knew about it until I read it in here a few days ago.

Hey, a side question...

I also wonder if, as Ubuntu rises in popularity, people will start drifting away from it simply because it's popular. Obviously there's a contingent of Linux users who use their computers the way most people use their CD collections, and use their Linux installations as a way to break away from the pack.

If suddenly half the planet is on Ubuntu, how many people will switch to another one just to avoid being "one of the millions", like all of the fans of various bands do when they get too popular?

You'd notice if you had videocard and X problems which is only more likely with it sadly. As much as you want to "wow" a person, you gotta have a stable, working system. A crashing OS does more to damage ubuntu than a cube does to help it. I just don't think relying on somebody with a record as bad as ATI for drivers, and not only that but with early beta software as a component that can take down x is a good idea. Not on by default at least.

As a side answer...people don't seem to drift away from Microsoft or Apple no matter how popular it gets so no, I don't think the ammount of people leaving to other distros would be significant to the newbies coming on the front doors.

Dimitriid
November 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Here's why Ubuntu is so popular: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

Sadly Ubuntu is far from the best distro for first time users and is a little bit rough round the edges, so it's a good thing that this forum is so helpful.

PCLinuxOS is much easier to configure with GUI tools for everything,
Linux Mint is also a good choice for new users.

Id like to make a poll of how many people just downloaded their cd and how many people paid for it as opposed to how many people used that free cd thing.

My guess is that given the popularity, even Mark would have gone broke by now if he had to paid for so many free cds but thats just me.

oldb0y
November 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Well, to support the starter of this thread, Ubuntu is what won me over:)

gn2
November 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Id like to make a poll of how many people just downloaded their cd and how many people paid for it as opposed to how many people used that free cd thing.

The "free CD thing" enables people without a fast reliable internet connection to come to the party, making Ubuntu more inclusive than any other distro I know of.

It also generates a lot of interest, even if people end up downloading rather than getting it in the mail.

If only Shipit did the Xubuntu Alternate CD as an option there would be even more partygoers.

bigbrovar
November 21st, 2007, 01:50 PM
First of all i think the real reason people use an OS is because it works for them.. the only reason pple should stop using ubuntu should be because of its inferiourity when compared to other distros.. cus i dont get it.. why leave something that works all because its getting too popular..does popularity affect the performance of an OS.. oh I get it these pple left ******* in the first place bcus windows is popular..so if windows with all its rubbish just owned 1 percent of the PC market .. many of this pple would rush to it as the ideal OS... It doesnt make sense..

markp1989
November 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM
i did use ubuntu as my gateway to the linux world, its chalangin to use, at first, and the support is there to help people learn linux methods

i still use it on most of my hardware, am currently in the middle of teaching my self arch

sirdilznik
November 18th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Ubuntu is great as a "gateway distro" but it is a lot more than that. It's for all usesrs not just new users. I personally started with Slackware, tried Red Hat (Fedore didn't exist yet), went to Suse, moved to Gentoo, and finally (and very happily) arrived at (K)ubuntu.

Kernel Sanders
November 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Nope. Linux Mint is the best "gateway distro".

cmay
November 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
i used mandriva as the gateway. i had open-suse after that and then i got debian sarge. a month and i ugraded to etch and then i found ubuntu and i just used it since also whit other systems . i think the box-sets you can buy are the 'gateway-distro' if any of them are.

Valok
November 19th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Ubuntu is what got me started in the linux world! I'm planning on sticking with it until I get more familiar with it, and once I feel entirely comfortable, I'll probably give arch a go, that looks like fun.

Rokurosv
November 19th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I didn't want to use Ubuntu cause I felt it was the noob distro or the people's distro (stupid reasons I know). I had the CD lying in my bed and decided to install it. I've been trying it for a few days and it looks like a keeper. I don't see a normal user leaving it, AKA my brother/mother/father, but maybe users that want a more personal/custom system might go for a distro like Debian or Arch.

aysiu
November 19th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Mepis was my gateway Linux drug. I used it for one month and then switched to Ubuntu and stayed with Ubuntu for years afterward.

elmer_42
November 19th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Ubuntu was definitely my "gateway distro." I enjoyed it while I used it, but eventually I wanted to get my hands more dirty than they were with Ubuntu, so I went to Arch. Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu is a great Linux distribution, but it's not for me. That doesn't mean that it's not right for somebody else, though. The user friendliness and ease of use make it perfect for people who want their system to "just work."