PDA

View Full Version : Arcade Standups........pre 90s

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 04:39 PM
What were your favorites?

For me, Tempest, Qix, Dig Dug, SpyHunter, 720, Joust, Space Fury, Omega Race, Digger, Moon Patrol, Major Havoc, Star Castle, Crystal Castles, Kung Fu, Qbert, Missle Command, Tetris, HardDrivin, Galaga, Space Invaders, Zaxxon, Pacman et al, Centepede et al, Tron, Commando, Keystone Cops, Robotron, Asteroids, Pong, and Defender.

Did I leave any out?

Honestly, Omega Race, Asteroids, Star Castle, Major Havoc, Battlezone, Tempest, and Space Fury stick out because they were Vector Wire Frame style games.

720, just because I loved hearin that , SKATE OR DIE sound, and the Music was cool.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 04:45 PM
Pac Man
Asteroids

I have great memories of listening to Ozzy, Motley Crue Shout at the Devil and playing these games. ( OMG, I just think I gave my age away!)

matthew
August 31st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Star Castle
Joust
Tempest
Missile Command
Donkey Kong
Asteroids
Defender (or Stargate)
Star Wars
Qix
Dig Dug
Galaga (sometimes Galaxian or even Space Invaders)
Centipede
Tron

I remember playing Pong when it was new...you remember how cool it was if you hit the ball either on the corner of your paddle or if you were able to hit it while moving your paddle? Whoa! The ball moved so fast! :)

What was that one called with the off-kilter shaped box where there were aliens whose bodies were mixed up and you had to get them rearranged properly? Wacko or something like that?

WirelessMike
August 31st, 2005, 04:58 PM
What about Frogger. I used to play Pole Position for hours. Punch Out was pretty cool. There were also those sports games with no joystick. You had to tap 2 buttons as fast as you could to get your speed up before a long jump/pole vault/discus throw/etc. I would use a pencil between my fingers so I could hit them as fast as possible without accidentally hitting them at the same time (that would slow you down). Donkey Kong was probably my favorite as a kid, although I loved 1941, also. There used to be some game I'd play that had the Beatles' "Lady Madonna" as the background theme... Wish I could remember what it was.

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 05:07 PM
The Olympic Game game.

Hammer throw always did me in, I could never do that right.

what about the Original WWF game, the one with Hogan, MachoMan, Honky Tonk and so forth.

The one where you had to wrestle Andre at the end , with the Million Dollar man.

Many many a quarter was spent there.

darrenadams
August 31st, 2005, 07:53 PM
The Olympic Game game.
Do you mean Track and Field? I loved that game! 9.79 in the 100 metres!

What about the Original WWF game, the one with Hogan, MachoMan, Honky Tonk and so forth.

The one where you had to wrestle Andre at the end , with the Million Dollar man.

Many many a quarter was spent there.

I think that was called WWF Superstars or something like that. Loved that game too. It was a sad day when that was removed from the local arcade (well, until they released the sequel to it anyway... :smile: )

darrenadams
August 31st, 2005, 07:55 PM
...There used to be some game I'd play that had the Beatles' "Lady Madonna" as the background theme... Wish I could remember what it was.

That was Bomb Jack (http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=B&game_id=7180). Everybody I knew that played that game was really good at it - except me, dammit :-x

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 08:14 PM
Yes, but I seem to remember the sequel was worse than the orginal.

Ill tell you one I really miss, dont ask me why, but

Capcom's Combatribes....a neo redux of Double Dragon.

Well that and PitFighter.

az
August 31st, 2005, 08:39 PM
Donkey Kong Jr. I even learned the trick that got you more lives....

Ms Pac Man rules!

Tron was pretty cool, too.

darrenadams
August 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Well, the sequel to WWF Superstars wasn't that bad. It had that Royal Rumble thing in it meaning your game could last anywhere between two seconds and five minutes which was fun (unless you only lasted a few seconds...)

As for Pit Fighter though - yeugh! Hated the stiff fighting system in the game. I reckon that after Gauntlet, things went downhill for Atari.

Finally, on the subject of games I've never heard of (Combat Tribes?), the one game that was really popular when I was growing up was a game by Tecmo (creators of the Dead or Alive series and Ninja Gaiden) called Rygar. Especially when the engineer fixed the rom so that you could join in on a game in mid-play and still have your credit available afterward!

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 09:21 PM
Hmmm.....

Bad Dudes , better game.

So was Robocop, at least the first one.

Side Scrolling action at its best, and who can forget Altered Beast.

Golden Axe?

TristanMike
August 31st, 2005, 09:43 PM
Side Scrolling action at its best, and who can forget Altered Beast. w00t w00t

macgyver2
August 31st, 2005, 10:41 PM
Pitfall! :grin:

matthew
August 31st, 2005, 10:50 PM
Loved the game. Was it ever an arcade standup, though?

az
September 1st, 2005, 01:44 AM

Raiders of the Lost ark on atari 2600! Now that kept me going for days!

(Off topic, I know!)

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 01:50 AM
Pac Man
Asteroids

I have great memories of listening to Ozzy, Motley Crue Shout at the Devil and playing these games. ( OMG, I just think I gave my age away!)

Good taste in music alert :D

The only arcade games ive played were the ones from the early 90s still at places :P

npaladin2000
September 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
Absolute musts:

Ikari Warriors
Victory Road (Ikari 2)
Baby Pac Man
Pacmania
Double Dragon 1 and 2
Heavy Barrel
Guerilla War