PDA

View Full Version : Ok this is a little scary

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 03:35 PM
http://trustedsource.org/ips.php

Youll notice that the bottom of the list is a crap load of AOL servers. It is trustedsoruce dot orgs aim is to gather data on the behavior of senders across the Internet. In addition to the traditional techniques such as global email traffic patterns and volume, network characteristics and public blacklists and whitelists, TrustedSource is unique in that it includes timely, precise data from CipherTrust's extensive customer network.

Im curious as to how reliable this data is. Surely Ibsys.com cannot be responsible for the most number of email messages that cross the net. Still the comparisons made here are both staggering and befuddling in nature to me.

Kvark
August 31st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Uhh, if that is the IPs that sent the most emails the last 24 hours (How the heck would they know that???)... Wouldn't that mean those IPs are the currently worst spam bots on the net?

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Id have to assume thats true.

Already im modifying my SpamAssassin conf to weed out the odd non standard domains , Fivedavey and soonerpizza for example, immediately.

Still im curious how a company like trusted comes across this data.

Takis
August 31st, 2005, 11:37 PM
Still im curious how a company like trusted comes across this data.
Yeah I would think that'd be possibly a bit scarier - ah, the wonderful world of packet sniffing.
How many people actually use PGP or some other form of email encryption?