PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, do any of you read alot?

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM
Figure , heck...It was my BDay today and a bunch of my friends hit my book top 10 and got me all the hardcover editions they could find. So I figure Ill start my Book top 10. What about you guys?

This is going to be a little scarey, im sure.

1. Midnight at the Well of Souls - Jeffery Chalker
2. A Plague of Demons - Keith Laumer
3. HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
4. Exiles at the Well of Souls -- Jeffery Chalker
5. The Right Hand of Dextra - David J Lake
6. The Dosadi Experiment -- Frank Herbert
7. Childhood's End -- Arthur C. Clarke
8. Taltos and Jeherg -- Steven Brust
9. Any Book written by RA Salvatore.
10. The Voyage of the Space Beagle - AE Van Vogt

It is noted that 1,2,4,5,6,7,and 10 all appear in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials. It is also noted that 10 was the basis for which Ridley Scott developed the idea of the Alien film. Dosadi was one of Herberts non-Dune series books, and argueably my favorite.

Right hand of the Dextra easily the weirdst of those 10.

N'Jal
August 31st, 2005, 03:58 PM
The Well Of Echos Quartet: - Ian Irvine
The Noble Dead trilogy: - Barb & J. C. Hendee

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 04:41 PM
Figure , heck...It was my BDay today and a bunch of my friends hit my book top 10 and got me all the hardcover editions they could find. So I figure Ill start my Book top 10. What about you guys?

This is going to be a little scarey, im sure.

1. Midnight at the Well of Souls - Jeffery Chalker
2. A Plague of Demons - Keith Laumer
3. HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
4. Exiles at the Well of Souls -- Jeffery Chalker
5. The Right Hand of Dextra - David J Lake
6. The Dosadi Experiment -- Frank Herbert
7. Childhood's End -- Arthur C. Clarke
8. Taltos and Jeherg -- Steven Brust
9. Any Book written by RA Salvatore.
10. The Voyage of the Space Beagle - AE Van Vogt

It is noted that 1,2,4,5,6,7,and 10 all appear in Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials. It is also noted that 10 was the basis for which Ridley Scott developed the idea of the Alien film. Dosadi was one of Herberts non-Dune series books, and argueably my favorite.

Right hand of the Dextra easily the weirdst of those 10.

I am too lazy to read all them books. I will just wait for the movies to come out.

:razz: (I want my MTV)

weasel fierce
August 31st, 2005, 05:21 PM
Not nearly enough.

Im a massive fan of Jack Vance (Dying earth in particular), as well as Heinlein., David Eddings (not the most amazing writer ever, but thoroughly entertaining), HP Lovecraft and some random stuff.

matthew
August 31st, 2005, 05:30 PM
I am always reading. I read a TON of non-fiction, usually having to do with sociology/culture/language/religion. I've traveled to 5 different continents and speak several languages so these are obviously some of my greatest loves.

I also enjoy classic literature as well as current fiction if it is well written and the occasional sci-fi/fantasy. Sorry, no titles today, I would have to look 'em up. Off the top of my head, I enjoyed everything I have read by Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Chaim Potok. I recall liking the Hitchiker's series by Douglas Adams, the Dune series, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, at one point when I was younger I had read at least 50 of Isaac Asimov's books, and the funniest thing I have read in a while was Gullible's Travels by Cash Peters.

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 06:41 PM
Not nearly enough.

Im a massive fan of Jack Vance (Dying earth in particular), as well as Heinlein., David Eddings (not the most amazing writer ever, but thoroughly entertaining), HP Lovecraft and some random stuff.

Vance's The Pnume and The Dirdir are both favorites of mine.

TristanMike
August 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM
I love Brave New World by Aldos Huxley, I couldn't put it down til I finished it. I also enjoyed Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (who's teaming up with the Henson company to do Mirrormask). And before I moved out of Toronto, my friend gave me The Chrysalids and Day of the Trifids (that was getting really interesting but I seem to have misplaced it :-( ) by John Wyndham. I think that my favorite would have to be To Kill A Mockingbird though.

Stormy Eyes
August 31st, 2005, 07:37 PM
1. The Count of Monte Cristo -- Alexandre Dumas
2. The Fountainhead -- Ayn Rand
3. Wizard's First Rule -- Terry Goodkind
4. Time Enough for Love -- Robert Heinlein
5. Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson
6. To Reign in Hell -- Stephen Brust
7. Neuromancer -- William Gibson
8. Michael Moorcock's Elric novels (including the recent ones)
9. Human Action -- Ludwig von Mises
10. A Brief History of Time -- Stephen Hawking

Kapre
August 31st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Haven't finish the book that I'm reading but here is the ones that I've read and find interesting....

1. Angels & Demons
2. Da Vinci Code
3. Ties that Bind

rapasoft
August 31st, 2005, 07:44 PM
well, i just read Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and i saw film too...
i think it's pretty good book, were having lot of fun reading it...
i don't know other books in that list, but i don't think that I would like to read them... I am trying to read as many books as possible. most of them are easy-reading novels with entertaining story... i like foreign autors as well as slovakian...
i don't have top ten of MOST FAVOURITE books, i think all of them were good...

here's the list of last five books i've read:
1. štefan Žáry - Ktorýsi Deň Z Konca Leta (One day from the end of summer ... let's say)
2. Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
3. Nick Hornby - About A Boy
4. Mario Puzo - Godfather
5. Ray Bradbury - The Golden Apples Of The Sun

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2005, 07:55 PM
I also like reading, though I haven't read 10%of the books posted above..

I like fiction and non fiction. I also read Maltese books, but those will not interest you, I believe..

My favourite author has to be J.R.R. Tolkien, though before I saw the FOTR movie, I knew nothing about him except that he had written a very long book..after the movie, I read it from back to front in 2 days, and I have read the Silmarillion, Peoples of Middle Earth, most of Book of Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales, the Hobbit, etc...

Afterwards, I like Stephen King a lot. Dreamcatcher is one of my fav. books. The story just rolls along, but under it's happy-go-lucky nature...evil lurks...

Harry Potter was also good, but I seem to have outgrown it.

Oh, and it shames me, but my fav. author when I was a child was Enid Blyton.. not her fairy tale stories, but the ones about the Five Find outers...

Oh, and just to say it, my fav. Maltese book is "Taht Tliet Saltniet" (Under three Rulers) by Guze` Aquilina, which recounts Malta's passing under 3 rulers in the space of 3 years.. the Knights of St. John, the French, and the English. Very enjoyable reading, fact and fiction mixed together, a love story thrown in for good measure, and war in the background...I still read it...

Kimm
August 31st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Cant say I havea top ten, but here it goes...

1. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (... I know, but its way true)
2. The tale of the malorean
3. The tale of Belgariad.
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

1 and 2 are a total of 10 books, I think, so that make it 12...

TristanMike
August 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
By the way....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
Play some Pac-Man just for fun http://www.thepcmanwebsite.com/gcards/images/games/pacman_card.shtml :mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2005, 09:33 PM
Ouch, I forgot too...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit : so how old are u now?

Take a break and watch LOTR...
It's no secret you like it, the avatar shows all!!

bearbigears
August 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
rereading Moby ****- melville
Da Vinci code
American Freemasons: three centuries of building communities

somuchfortheafter
August 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Currently I am reading GEB(Godel, Escher, & Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid) which is an awesome book, A brief history of time is great, of course favorite book ever Count of MC. Dude is my role model in life :)

xequence
August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
Anything by Jeffrey Deaver. He is really really really good! He writes sort of crime/suspense books... Im not really sure what exactly the genre would be but there are alot of plot twists and turns in his books. Read "The Empty Chair" :)