PDA

View Full Version : Any Xubuntu Users Here?

hockeyfighter09
November 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Just wondering how many of you use just xubuntu on your computer? This is the one of the three ubuntus i hear the least about. Also why do you uses xubuntu over the other ones. Just curious.:guitar:

kripkenstein
November 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I use it, simply because on Gutsy I found Ubuntu (that is GNOME) takes too much memory. I have 512 MB, and on GNOME I kept seeing 100-200MB of swap being used, after a day or so.

On Xubuntu Xfce takes a lot less memory. There are a lot of missing small features, but it is so much more responsive that it's worth it for me.

andhar
November 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I also use it, I run it on an 800mhz PIII , I was surprised how fast it was since I dont remember 800mhz but it was VERY responsive and didn't use too much of the systems low memory.

the only thing I miss is , native network browsing like in nautilus , thunar doesnt have it. but a solid OS nonetheliess.

smartboyathome
November 15th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I used to use it, but then I switched over to Linux Mint XFCE edition. :)

Polygon
November 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM
im using it on my 400 mhz 376mb computer, and its runs well, espeically with kazahaskae (or however you spell it) as the primary browser

Sporkman
November 15th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I'm using it on my old Gateway Solo 9300 laptop, w/ PII & 196 megs of ram.

raptros-v76
November 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
yeah, i use xubuntu on my laptop. laptop has a small screen, (but is a fairly powerful machine, and is a tablet). the reason i use xfce is because i use terminal based programs, such as screen because it is awesome, vim for same reason. i usually ssh into my desktop, and reattach the screen session there which has a mail client running, weechat, finch, etc and is faster than using something like vnc. xubuntu gives me everything i need to do: use firefox, use a multi tabbed terminal (so i can have a local screen session and a remote one) and gets started and logged in faster (useful because i have to go between classes all the time.) finally, it doesnt use as much battery power for reasons slightly beyond my comprhension.

zeDuffMan
November 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I use it. I used Ubuntu up until a few days after 7.10 was released, but now they've added even more bloat which I have no need for (Compiz mainly) I decided to switch to something designed to run smoothly on slower machines. Like kripkenstein I have 512MB of RAM and Gnome finds great ways of eating it up quickly; Xfce on the other hand uses half as much RAM at bootup and minimises how much is used as you open new programs. For me it does everything I used Gnome for so I can't see any negatives in using Xubuntu over Ubuntu...

I also really like the default theme :P

some_random_noob
December 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Woooooo! We're rebels :D

I just installed the latest Xubuntu because it's low spec and I don't need anything better.

I can't even view the date (Only the time!). It seems to be missing a few features here and there. Not that I really need them.

alohanema
December 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I am using Ubuntu, how can I install Xubuntu, and replace the Ubuntu?
Please help me :confused:

John.Michael.Kane
December 15th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I am using Ubuntu, how can I install Xubuntu, and replace the Ubuntu?
Please help me :confused:

These may help.
Installing Xfce on Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu)

Getting Back to a Pure XFCE on Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce)

Credit to aysiu for the links.

smartboyathome
December 15th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Use this (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu) guide and then use this one (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce).

EDIT: Oops, someone already posted these. Sorry.

alohanema
December 15th, 2007, 04:18 AM
thanks

tehkain
December 15th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I am a xfce user on all my PCs that require GUIs. Oddly I run xubuntu on a quad core desktop so its not a resource issue. Tho I really like the low cpu cost as it makes multi tasking very simple. I am downloading revision and compiling them almost 24-7 in the background and xfce allows me to not even notice. I use emacs as my editor, IDE, irc client, music player, and Jabber client so all the other application included in gnome were of no use to me. So I have come to find XFCE and its 'to the point' mentality very very nice even on big system and even better on my mobile environments.

santiagoward2000
December 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Hi!
I started using Xubuntu just because I wanted to try a LiveCD on my laptop (it was my first Linux experience) but with 192mb RAM Ubuntu was just too slow.
When I did, I just loved it. Personally, I like Xfce better than Gnome or KDE. I tried them on my desktop later, but somehow I just didn't like them...

rye_
December 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
For me xfce and gnome are neck and neck. KDE I find too elaborate.

For me thunar is a real selling point of xfce, the experience of (virtually) no delay when accessing files is very satisfying.

NonPermissive
December 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
There should be a "xubuntu-desktop" package in synaptic.
EDIT: Oh crap, I was late.

Achetar
December 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I Xubuntu! I like XFCE4 better than GNOME or KDE. I originally installed it because I had downloaded 7.04 (the latest at the time) for a different computer and then my HD crashed. I didn't feel like reinstalling 6.10 then doing a 3 hour upgrade, so I installed Xubuntu. And I discovered I like XFCE4 better than GNOME or KDE. If only it had more eye-candy... (KDE doesn't like my hardware, its not their fault) Thunar RULES!!!

ugm6hr
December 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
For me thunar is a real selling point of xfce, the experience of (virtually) no delay when accessing files is very satisfying.

I agree. Having made the transition the other way (Xubuntu7.04 to Ubuntu7.10) following an inability to download Xubuntu Gutsy (and a RAM upgrade), I found I actually liked those extra touches in Gnome. Nautilus is good because it is able to browse Networks as default, but I do miss the speed and customization capacity of thunar....

I still have Xubuntu on my older laptop though...

gn2
December 15th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I can't even view the date (Only the time)

You can customise the clock to show the date in various formats and you can have am/pm or 24hr clock.

I use Xubuntu 7.04 because it's clean and simple and efficient.

XFCE is definitely my preferred environment.
I love the right click for the system menu option and have it customised with a Home (Thunar) shortcut at the top.

daverich
December 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
yup i'm using xubuntu pretty much all the time.

The only things that I dont like are the clock wont show up my Evolution calender on a click - which Gnome will.

that's about it though,- it's alot cleaner than gnome and KDE.

That said I use gnome and KDE apps alot.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Tharkun
December 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Just wondering how many of you use just xubuntu on your computer? This is the one of the three ubuntus i hear the least about. Also why do you uses xubuntu over the other ones. Just curious.:guitar:

I use version 7.10 and why is because it is a pretty old PC.

Scott-271
December 16th, 2007, 06:39 AM
I use it because I'm a huge Xfce fan!

I got hooked on it from another distro, and when I got to Xubuntu - I was hooked. I love the simplicity of it, and will customize any DE to get it Xfce-like.

Every computer I have running has Xfce on it except my windows partion. I mainly run much older, recycled(usually from the town dump) computers, and Gnome/KDE/Live cd's doesn't really work; Xfce though....just like peas and carrots....

wolfen69
December 16th, 2007, 07:42 AM
i did a command line install of gutsy,(no GUI) and added the XFCE4 desktop. it leaves you with an even simpler "Xubuntu" install. you can then add only the packages you want. it runs great too.

roachk71
December 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I love the increased performance of XFCE over GNOME, along with more efficient resource usage.

One of the (unfixed) problems in GNOME is that hard-disk thrashing Nautilus bug. No such problem in Thunar.

HermanAB
December 16th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I have given up with Gnome and KDE since they both have horribly slow window managers. I use either IceWM or Xfce on all my Linux boxen. However, I do use Konqueror quite often as a file manager due to its good set of ioslaves. There are probably one or two Gnome things I use once in a while, but I can't remember what.

schauerlich
December 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM
To install the xfce desktop environment:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

astromech
December 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I has downloaded the alternate cd a few months ago for my old PII @ 300mhz Laptop but it took about 2 hours to install and when it was finally ready it was horribly slow and didn't work right. I've got 160mb of ram in there .I figured it would work better than that .So the other day I decided to zap Win XP for good so I installed zenwalk and it erased the MBR that had my suse partition( I'm thinking it's because I used the xfs Filesystem perhaps ???) So then I could not get my dsl to work with zen. I said I'm screwed ! Still wanting an XFCE desktop I installed Xubuntu 7.04 and decided to take over the entire drive .

This is the best thing I ever did for my computer! .I'm tired of dual booting so if I want something different I can just use Knoppix or other live cd.

Now why do I love Xubuntu ? It's a straightforward no B.S. fast, efficient environment for Ubuntu.I will not waste any more time with complicated menus There's just ONE and that's perfect ! There's not a whole bunch of programs I'll never use.Firefox is the web browser unlike Kubuntu. It looks good and uncluttered.I didn't want an OS to take up all my time. I'd rather focus on what I want to do .

In other words Xubuntu lets me get to the point . I love it !:cool:

Paqman
December 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
For complicated reasons, i'm running Ubuntu in a VM at the mo, so I went for Xubuntu because it's more lightweight. I'm impressed actually, the difference in functionality between Gnome and XFCE is pretty minimal IMO. About the only thing I miss is a good dock.

gn2
December 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
About the only thing I miss is a good dock.

Just customise the look and behaviour of one of the panels?

Or try Sam Linux.

Paqman
December 16th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Just customise the look and behaviour of one of the panels?

Exactly what i'm doing :)

Polygon
December 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
until i can actually have complete control over where i can put panel items in xfce...ill be a gnome user.

gn2
December 16th, 2007, 07:07 PM
until i can actually have complete control over where i can put panel items in xfce...ill be a gnome user.

Perhaps now's the time to switch, all items in an XFCE panel can easily be moved.

What is it you have difficulty with moving?

crimesaucer
December 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I used xubuntu 6.06 - xubuntu 7.04, I loved it. I used Beryl and Compiz Fusion and it was still fast and light on the resources, then recently I switched to Archlinux 2007.08-2 with xfce4 and it is even faster.

I dropped the compiz fusion for now, and am loving the xfwm4 compositing for shadows and transparency. Plus, the recent xfce4 update to 4.4.2 feels even more stable and just as fast.

I've tried Gnome with metacity, Gnome with metacity-svn compositing, Gnome with Compiz Fusion, xfce4 with Compiz Fusion, xfce4 and xfwm4....

... and I found xfce4 with xfwm4 is the best feeling desktop experience of them all. You still have compositing, and the resources are super light, I never end up in my Swap file anymore, all my xfce4 apps like thunar and mousepad open instantly when clicked, so does AbiWord.

foxy123
December 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I use Xubutu because I like XFCE and dislike Gnome. I was using Ubuntu with XFCE installed for a while (well, from Hoary to Dapper) and switched to Xubuntu with Feisty as I decided to give it a try. Also my HD on the laptop is not very big so I did not wanted all these Gnome libraries I have never used.

iamclueless
December 21st, 2007, 02:39 AM
Hello Xubuntu users

Been running Xubuntu for less than a week. i really like it because the comp feels like new once again (PIII 667, 384 RAM - will be maxing it to 768).

I will be doing a fresh install once i kinda know what im doing.

the goal for the computer is to just have a home machine for the parents - so something stable they dont have to worry about with bugs and updates. Email, browsing, word processing, some music but no need for a library, occassional CD burning, lots of digital camera use, occassional Palm synchs...

can you guys suggest appropriate apps?

this is what ive been thinking about so far

Browser - Firefox and Opera (probably just Opera as soon as the flash issue is sorted out permanently)
Word Process - Abiword and Open Office as defaulted by the install
Presentation - Open Office seems to be the only thing like powerpoint
PDF reader - xpdf
Camera and Photos - Digikam, GIMP, and GQview i guess (i cant seem to find the xfce picture viewer - Ristretto???)
Music - VLC or Amarok, Xfmedia maybe??
Video - VLC (just have VLC for both music and video makes sense)
Spreadsheet - Gnumeric
Disc Burning - Brasero... will need to try xfburn
Messaging - Pidgin
Palm - jpilot (im yet to make it work dammit)

ok please point out anything obvious that i might be overlooking. any suggestions on what to consider or what i shouldnt even bother with that ive listed?

thanks Xubuntu people

nat6138
December 21st, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, currently I have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Fluxbox installed on here.

But the one I use the most is Xubuntu, just because its fast, and I think it is a lot easier to use than like say Kubuntu.

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 03:23 AM
I use Xubuntu on my desktop computer. I don't really know why I use it; I think the only reason is that I had installed it on an old computer before and because my Compaq's fan was running a lot with Ubuntu, which took more power.

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM
this is what ive been thinking about so far

Browser - Firefox and Opera (probably just Opera as soon as the flash issue is sorted out permanently)
I suggest Firefox, because of the add-ons.

Music - VLC or Amarok, Xfmedia maybe??

No, definitely get Rhythmbox. It's simpler than Amarok and has a similar interface to iTunes.

If you want an even more lightweight browser, and if you don't care much about add-ons, you might look for Konquerer or Galeon.

astromech
December 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM

No, definitely get Rhythmbox. It's simpler than Amarok and has a similar interface to iTunes.

If you want an even more lightweight browser, and if you don't care much about add-ons, you might look for Konquerer or Galeon.

Ever try Dillo browser? I used it with Damn small Linux

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Um, no; as a matter of fact, I haven't. I enjoy trying out new apps, so I'll be sure to try it out. :)

Heard of it, though.

JeffoOfMetal
December 21st, 2007, 03:36 AM
Please forgive me; I made a mistake by double posting. :(

mwacky
December 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I like Xubuntu, especially for older systems, I have two Old Gateway Performance PC's:

550 mhz PIII, 384 mb ram: this one is dual boot with XP and Mythbuntu, which utilizes Xubuntu. Since I upgraded from ubuntu it has many of the old components of ubuntu so it doesn't run quite as slim as it could, of course trying to run tv applications on this is not perfect, but can watch tv at least.

500 mhz PIII, 384 mb ram, was running ubuntu on this one, it did fine. My experience of mythbuntu above inspired me to try out Xubuntu, so I dual booted and so far so good. Runs with a lot less ram usage than ubuntu and still has a nice, yet simple interface.

I've dabbled in fluxbuntu some, and although lighter weight it is probably more geared for super light systems (256 or less ram) and the fluxbox window manager is not as nice/simple as Xfce, so with the old Gateways I have I think Xubuntu is the better OS.

smartboyathome
December 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM

Addons are nice, but I don't use them much anymore. I would only recommend Firefox to those who want to tweak the heck out of their browsers. Otherwise I recommend Opera.

Polygon
December 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Perhaps now's the time to switch, all items in an XFCE panel can easily be moved.

What is it you have difficulty with moving?

no they cant.

i just compiled the latest stable release of xfce (4.4.2 i think? like a week ago) and i nearly tore my hair out trying to move stuff on the panel

i wanted to move the volume applet to the right of the panel. Simple right? wrong. It seems in xfce things on the panel can only be directly left or directly right of other panel items, and since the only thing on the top panel was the xfce menu and the palces menu, the volume applet was on the left side of the panel, and when i clicked move, it wouldent let me. I solved this by making a seperator and clicking 'expand' in its properties, but thats a dirty hack. Gnome allows you to freely move panel items wherever you want without the need to have it left/right of another panel item, why cant xfce incorporate this?

iamclueless
December 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Hi

Ok theoretically a lot of us are running Xubuntu because it performs quicker Ubuntu and Kubuntu. And based on my readings it is because of the Xfce desktop... but is it just me or am i not seeing a massive difference?

Xubuntu is running a bit quicker than XP on my desktop (PIII, 667, 384ram) -- boots up quicker and i can access drives faster. browsing (IE vs. Firefox) is about the same. I also played with Ubuntu and that ran just a tad quicker than XP if not similar

How do i make Xubuntu quicker? i read someplace that having the different libraries slow things down... can someone explain this to me? im interpreting this as you choice of applications you decide to add

btw im writing this email using the Puppy Linux live CD.... now this is FAST.... but im not expecting this from Xubuntu obviously :P

thanks

kadath
December 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hi

Ok theoretically a lot of us are running Xubuntu because it performs quicker Ubuntu and Kubuntu. And based on my readings it is because of the Xfce desktop... but is it just me or am i not seeing a massive difference?

Xubuntu is running a bit quicker than XP on my desktop (PIII, 667, 384ram) -- boots up quicker and i can access drives faster. browsing (IE vs. Firefox) is about the same. I also played with Ubuntu and that ran just a tad quicker than XP if not similar

How do i make Xubuntu quicker? i read someplace that having the different libraries slow things down... can someone explain this to me? im interpreting this as you choice of applications you decide to add

btw im writing this email using the Puppy Linux live CD.... now this is FAST.... but im not expecting this from Xubuntu obviously :P

thanks

It's because the Ubuntu base is bloated. It includes a lot of stuff (sometimes totally unnecessary stuff), and a lot of services/processes are run by default at start-up. It's sort of a necessary evil, so that Ubuntu will run on as many different hardware configurations as possible.

The only way to slim down Xubuntu is to get a handle of what your own hardware requires from Xubuntu, and then start cutting out whatever isn't needed. This is much like disabling services in Windows, uninstalling useless apps Windows comes with, or even using NLite to create a custom installation ISO.

This is the downside to creating an OS that's meant to run on millions of different hardware configurations. Eventually, the base install becomes bloated with all sorts of stuff you personally will never need.

Gargamella
December 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I use it because I like its look and its lower requirements

gn2
December 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
How do i make Xubuntu quicker?

In the XFCE Settings Manager, Settings and Startup> Advanced, untick the Launch Gnome and KDE services at start up.

Be careful what apps you use e.g. Abiword and Gnumeric open and run faster than Open Office.

Using Xubuntu 7.04 rather than 7.10 may also help.

iamclueless
December 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
In the XFCE Settings Manager, Settings and Startup> Advanced, untick the Launch Gnome and KDE services at start up.

Be careful what apps you use e.g. Abiword and Gnumeric open and run faster than Open Office.

Using Xubuntu 7.04 rather than 7.10 may also help.

thanks
KDE and Gnome never been ticked.
but i do have some applications that use them

what benefit will dropping down to 7.04 give?

im gonna take the Fluxbuntu live CD for a spin and compare

gn2
December 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
what benefit will dropping down to 7.04 give?

I found that it's just (much) quicker on my old laptop.

There have been a few similar posts on these forums.

jviscosi
December 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Just wondering how many of you use just xubuntu on your computer? This is the one of the three ubuntus i hear the least about. Also why do you uses xubuntu over the other ones. Just curious.

I "officially" have Xubuntu installed on my machine and I use XFCE off and on, but usually I run in Fluxbox or OpenBox. I do this mainly for performance reasons, but also because I feel like I have more control over my machine when running one of the WMs rather than a full desktop.

DJiNN
January 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm running Xubuntu 64 bit, on a Core 2 Duo lappie, and it's so fast it's amazing. Compared to Gnome or KDE (With all that bloat) it's a real lightweight distro with some heavy duty abilities. Great stuff. :)

Thunar Native Net Browsing is still a pain though, but you can get around that with this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=304131&highlight=Thunar+Native+Windows+Network+Browsing). :)

markp1989
January 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM
i use xubuntu on both of my laptops, because i find it better with the smaller screen, especially on my eee pc which only has a 7" screen.
and i like using it because it has a smaller memory foot print, and because both laptops have 512mb, and one of them has no swap partition (SSD) i prefer using it.
i use ubuntu on my desktop

Mark76
January 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
For complicated reasons, i'm running Ubuntu in a VM at the mo, so I went for Xubuntu because it's more lightweight. I'm impressed actually, the difference in functionality between Gnome and XFCE is pretty minimal IMO. About the only thing I miss is a good dock.
You could try Cairo Dock. Works with xfwm4, so no need to install Compiz-Fusion.

CCNA_student
January 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I also use Xubuntu.

aimran
January 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Loving Xubuntu! Minimise to desktop rocks my world! If only it showed previewed windows then my world would be complete.

Using XFCE with Wbar atm.

Dark Aspect
January 28th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I use Xubuntu on an older computer I have,I was actually going to put Debian on it but the CD did not want to boot off that computer for some reason.The same disc booted off other computers just fine.Seems more less like Ubuntu if you ask me,I am shocked though that Ubuntu Gutsy takes 320 mb out of ram wtf?7.04 didn't take such a ridiculous amount of ram.

An_Dynas
January 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I really like Xubuntu 7.10 on an older (Pent III) machine that I use, primarily, as a server. But after looking at these posts I'm considering trying out 7.04 for even more speed. Is there an easy way to go back a version?

Jay Jay
January 29th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I've been using Xubuntu for over a month now, I migrated from Kubuntu after being advised that my HP PIII 600mhz laptop would only ever struggle under that OS'. There's definitely a speed increase and greater efficiency in resource management with Xubuntu. Under Kubuntu 7.04 most of my 256mb RAM was used up before I even ran any programs...

On the downside I miss the KDE GUI and (in my experience) Xubuntu Gutsy seems riddled with endless problems, my sound constantly mutes (a few terminal commands fix this), bouts of random slowdown appear, some icons won't stay in the top panel and now the Applications Panel has vanished! lol

I'm going to reformat and give Xubuntu 7.04 a go instead as at least one poster on here has reported a better performance with that version...

jesusfreak107
January 29th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I use Xubuntu because the applications are a little faster than GNOME, and the internet runs about twice as fast, and my entire life is on the internet. I have a pathetic little computer that someone gave me. 700MHZ, 512 MB SDRAM(upgraded from 128), 60,20GB HDDs(upgraded from one 13.5GB), pathetic 8-year old integrated video card. with Xununtu, the graphics look like I am running a 128 MB PCI video card, the PC runs like I have a GB of RAM, and a 1.5GHZ processor. That is partly due to the fact that, with so much hard drive space (divided between Windows(40GB), Xubuntu(20GB), and Ubuntu(20GB), that I have 1GB of swap.) It runs ridiculously fast.

deeann
January 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM
This is my second box with Xubuntu.

dgoodma
January 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I had it on a spare laptop; because it was older and lower spec. I gave it to my daughter who is using it for Email and Web. I am not really sure that she knows it is Linux. cool:)

DJiNN
January 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Loving Xubuntu! Minimise to desktop rocks my world! If only it showed previewed windows then my world would be complete.

Using XFCE with Wbar atm.

Is Wbar in the repos? How difficult is it to set up? I love the look of it, but whenever i've tried other (Similar) apps, they've always been really difficult to get working properly. :) I'll go have a google for it now....

Dojan5
January 29th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I use it, simply because on Gutsy I found Ubuntu (that is GNOME) takes too much memory. I have 512 MB, and on GNOME I kept seeing 100-200MB of swap being used, after a day or so.

On Xubuntu Xfce takes a lot less memory. There are a lot of missing small features, but it is so much more responsive that it's worth it for me.

Wow...
Thats weird...
I have a 800MhZ and 256 MB RAM and i find GNOME run perfectly...
Anyway, i used Xubuntu for a while. I still have it installed, but i think it is a bit. Hmm, too...
I dunno, it isnt as "fun" as GNOME..
I still use Xfce sometimes. But Mostly GNOME

kadath
January 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I use and enjoy Xubuntu for the most part, but it certainly isn't as lightweight as it could be. Zenwalk is quite a bit lighter, and doesn't sacrifice much ease of use for it, either. The only thing Xubuntu has going for it over Zenwalk is the wide availability of packages for Ubuntu, while you still need to compile quite a few things on Zenwalk (Slackware-based, so not really surprising).

It would be nice if the Xubuntu team started cutting out the fat.

chumkila
November 27th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I run Xubuntu because my laptop specs are low and didn't want to mess about with too many configurations, it worked perfectly even picking up my PCMCIA wireless card. Only issue I have is that I cannot log into Gmail or Post anything on these forums using Firefox 3. Haven't worked out why yet.

koleoptero
November 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.chunkypop.com/m_pictures/old_thread.jpg

Marvin666
November 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My first linux was xubuntu 9.04 because I heard It's much faster than gnome. I still run this same version. I don't think I've ever even used gnome or kde before...
Xfce for teh win!

jollysnowman
November 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
xubuntu + compiz :)

slumbergod
November 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yup. I tried Ubuntu and didn't like the sluggish feel of the interface. I installed Xubuntu Gutsy way back and loved it. Now I wouldn't use anything else. The Xfce environment has really been developed over the last couple of releases!

XubuRoxMySox
November 28th, 2009, 03:12 PM
After I got frustrated with LXDE (http://lxde.org)'s persistent bugginess I decided to try Xfce "a la Xubuntu." I think the developers of Xubuntu have heard and addressed concerns about "bloat" in earlier versions. Karmic Xubuntu absolutely flies on my poor older machine, and it's gorgeous!! What a well-kept and wonderful little secret :KSXubuntu:KS is! It has none of the bugginess of LXDE, and it runs as fast on my old Dell as Crunchbang does on my much newer laptop! Amaaaaazing.

Another plus: Xubuntu doesn't ship with nor default to PulseAudio. It uses ALSA and that's all it needs. And for those to whom it matters, Xubuntu does not ship with Mono or anything that depends on Mono.

It's a perfectly sweet, fast Linux for older hardware (not ancient, but like 5 or 6 years old), and my new "Main distro."

Screenshot shows how pretty you can make it

-Robin

deluxelab
December 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hi. Xfce is my favourite too...

I tried KDE/Gnome on various distros -also LXDE and Openbox/Crunchbang but nothing beats Xfce for me -perfect balance between performance and beauty :)

However, I run a standard Karmic install on which I have replaced ubuntu-desktop by xubuntu-desktop; out of all my trials that's what seems to work best (for me anyway).

Also no compiz effects etc.
I have a Core 2 Duo / 3GB so I am left with plenty of power which is what I need for graphics apps and the occasional VM session.

momrocker
December 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM
I use it, simply because my computer isnt exactly "up to snuff" for GNOME and i heard Xubuntu was less memory-stressful, so i just decided one day, "ehh, what the hey, ill try it out!" Much faster on my computer and much more reasonable.

kevCast
December 2nd, 2009, 06:20 AM
Too many GNOME deps IMO, but Xubuntu is still a solid option. However, Slackware and Xfce is so much nicer.

Aflack
December 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
i like how an almost 2 years dead thread gets bumped and everyone continues it like normal lol.

Sahkolihaa
December 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
I switched to Xubuntu when I found out it had no PulseAudio (it gives me issues with Second Life and my music/sounds where it keeps popping and crackling).

I love how simple and fast Xfce is - I do have it running with Compiz, but I still find my system is faster than GNome - and as I said, I like the simple design of it. It has all the important things I need to have my machine running and to communicate with others and to listen to my music, so it's perfect for my needs.

I'm also running it on quite a fast machine - AMD X2 4800+, 2GiB RAM, GeForce 9800GT, Audigy 2 ZS and it just flies - I'll still be using Xubuntu when I upgrade to a quad-core with 4GiB RAM.

t0p
December 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM
I realise I'm going to be in a minority here, but I absolutely dispute the notion that Xubuntu is "light weight" and faster than regular Gnome-based Ubuntu. When I installed Hardy on my desktop machine, I also installed xubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop out of curiosity. I didn't like kubuntu at all and quickly trashed it. But the modest specs of my computer (Pentium 4 with, at the time, 256 MB RAM) made me think I should seriously try out Xubuntu. But it really wasn't noticably faster than Gnome Ubuntu. If it had been faster, I could have put up with the reduced functionality of the Xfce desktop. But it was just as sluggish, so I returned to vanilla Ubuntu.

I've now got 1 GB of RAM on the machine, so the need for a light-weight desktop environment has passed. But I maintain that Xubuntu is not significantly faster. So there! :p

XubuRoxMySox
December 2nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
i like how an almost 2 years dead thread gets bumped and everyone continues it like normal lol.

Me too, but here's why I think this one happened; and it's just a theory because I never used Xubuntu before Karmic:

Xubuntu had gotten a reputation for being "not lightweight anymore" and "more resource-hungry than regular Ubuntu," "bloated, heavy, slow," etc. That's why I never bothered even trying it.

The only reason I did was because LXDE (http://lxde.org) (very lightweight, very simple, newbie-friendly, but buggy as all get out, immature, not ready for prime time - but holding out great promise for the future) finally ticked me off enough to try an alternative, so when Karmic Xubuntu was released I gave it a shot.

I fully expected Xubuntu to be "slow, bloated, resource hungry, not lightweight." Wow was I wrong! Whatever it was that caused previous versions of Xubuntu to get that reputation are simply not around in this latest version. Xubuntu is closest to it's original intent and purpose, to run fast and low on lower-resourced computers. Sure there are many distros (and many Xfce ones) that are much more lightweight than Xubuntu. But on this old Dell Dimension with it's scant 512 of RAM, Xubuntu flies faster and farther than Ubuntu ever did.

So I'm kinda glad this old thread got revived. But there's nothing old about Xubuntu Karmic! It's completely brand new, and largely undiscovered because of the reputations of its slower, more bloated predecessors.

-Robin

99DC
December 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
It's xubuntu which got me interested in ubuntu. My sister's ancient laptop running xp ground to a halt after being bombarded with virii. After removal xp was still incredibly slow but she had lost the recovery disk and the laptop was too old for Toshiba to send a replacement.

It was quite a low spec but xubuntu ran fine on it. I then changed my current laptop from vista to ubuntu and have never looked back (apart from my printer not working)

deluxelab
December 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Too many GNOME deps IMO, but Xubuntu is still a solid option. However, Slackware and Xfce is so much nicer.
Yep. Slackware/Xfce is exactly where I want to go with my system.
Not that easy to setup though!

NormanFLinux
December 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
A complete desktop will require installing GNOME apps. You can also pull in KDE apps but be careful not to pull in KDE libraries. That will replace the default window manager with the KDE one.

Have fun!

Tibuda
December 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
A complete desktop will require installing GNOME apps.

What?

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think he meant that Xubuntu has some Gnome dependencies (it's use of gdm, the system monitor, the network manager).

One of the first things I do, actually is to remove some dependencies, by installing the Xfce task manager or the power manager. You can also give Wicd a shot)

kellemes
December 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Yep. Slackware/Xfce is exactly where I want to go with my system.
Not that easy to setup though!

Go Zenwalk (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zenwalk)
You'll have Slackware, ease of setup and just about the best XFCE implementation there is..

jollysnowman
December 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
A complete desktop will require installing GNOME apps. You can also pull in KDE apps but be careful not to pull in KDE libraries. That will replace the default window manager with the KDE one.

Have fun!

Not really. I use xdm, wicd, x-screensaver, xfce-power-manager, abiword, conky, and a few other things. The only GNOME app I have is Gedit.

Tibuda
December 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Not really. I use xdm, wicd, x-screensaver, xfce-power-manager, abiword, conky, and a few other things. The only GNOME app I have is Gedit.

and you could replace gedit with leafpad, mousepad, geany or gvim.

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, Gnome apps are not required, but Xubuntu comes with them included. You can remove them if you want.

BTW: How can you make xdm or wdm less butt-ugly? It's a minor nuisance for me, but I can't just well install it on other peoples' computers. I have to stick with gdm with them.

Simian Man
December 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
slim is the best login manager to use with Xfce. It was apparently removed from the Ubuntu repos though.

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Really? It's still in 9.04, I think.

Anyways, it's on Stemp's Xfce PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~stemp/+archive/xfce

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
It has nice themes, but the theme how to has me scratching my head.

bailout
December 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah, Gnome apps are not required, but Xubuntu comes with them included. You can remove them if you want.

If there are xfce alternatives why does xubuntu install the gnome ones? Is it unreliability or missing features? Is there a guide to installing it from a minimal install in a purer form without the gnome apps?

MC707
December 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM

I use it in my old '98 box (800mhz, 128MB in upgraded RAM). It is the fastest *buntu derivative, however it is nonetheless very, very slow in it. Too bad, I'd like to have *buntu in all my boxes...

sertse
December 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
My 2 cents is that if you're not a generally a DIY person, but want to experience a proper xfce experience, is to try the Fedora Xfce Spin.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

1. It's Fedora, and thus like Ubuntu has the backings, repos etc of a major distro
2. It sticks truer to the Xfce ideas of a desktop. The devs are active/friendly with the Xfce devs in IRC and mailing lists, (Though Debian/Gentoo/Lunar devs are also seen often, they are rather DIY esp the latter, no Xubuntu though) and it's a goal of the spin to advance Xfce whenever possible.

You see this by the decision to include Midori/Parole/Xfce-powermanager (I know xubuntu also has the latter) as defualts in this release, alongside firefox/totem, a a test to see if they would replace them completely in F13.

Praxicoide
December 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
If there are xfce alternatives why does xubuntu install the gnome ones? Is it unreliability or missing features?

It's both, depending. The gnome notification daemon and power manager are seen as more reliable (older), though the xfce ones have given me no problems. In the case with network-manager, system manager and others (listen media player), it might be because of features.

Xubuntu devs have stated that the distro is not about having everything Xfce, but having a good software. Though in my opinion, xfce has quickly proven itself to have excellent software.

EDIT:
From the Xubuntu Strategy Document (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/StrategyDocument?action=show&redirect=Xubuntu%2FSpecifications%2FIntrepid%2FStr ategyDocument#Mission%20Statement)

To meet our performance objectives, we must be very careful about the applications we seed/include with Xubuntu; we have to think objectively and may not be biased. Applications that make it into Xubuntu must be clearly rationalized and are in the spirit of Xubuntu. The Xubuntu council and Xubuntu developers will determine if a package is right for Xubuntu by measuring and comparing elements such as usability, usefulness, memory consumption, integration, maintainability, file size, stability, translations, maturity, upstream, performance, and user demand/interest. We will call this measurement "weight" and where a package/software is more heavy, the more undesirable it is in Xubuntu. Furthermore, when measuring if a package is right for Xubuntu, your decision will not be made based on your analysis of package alone but instead the collective target package and its dependencies.

and further down:

The merit and measured weight is more important then whether it's an official Xfce4 (side) project or not (excluding components listed in the prior core component section).

Is there a guide to installing it from a minimal install in a purer form without the gnome apps?

Sure, you can use an ubuntu minimal install and build just what you want. I find it easier than removing the stuff you don't want.

There are a lot of guides around on how to pull it off. The important part is what you decide to install.

for me its

xorg xfce4 xfce4-goodies slim midori alsa-base wicd

And build from there installing codecs and the apps you want.

jollysnowman
December 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
for me its

And build from there installing codecs and the apps you want.

I thought SLiM is out of the repositories?

Praxicoide
December 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Of course, sorry. It's just that I'm still on Jaunty. I was just told about this a page ago, but forgot about it.

Really? It's still in 9.04, I think.

Anyways, it's on Stemp's Xfce PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~stemp/+archive/xfce

So I guess you can either memorize the PPA and add it via nano, or type startx after installing the other packages and, from X, copy & paste it via mousepad. And then install SLiM (and maybe give Parole a try too ;) )

hockeyfighter09
December 3rd, 2009, 04:13 AM
My god....How did one of my ancient threads get revived? I remember starting this almost 2 years ago! :p Anyways, carry on people!

Sahkolihaa
December 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
My 2 cents is that if you're not a generally a DIY person, but want to experience a proper xfce experience, is to try the Fedora Xfce Spin.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/

1. It's Fedora, and thus like Ubuntu has the backings, repos etc of a major distro
2. It sticks truer to the Xfce ideas of a desktop. The devs are active/friendly with the Xfce devs in IRC and mailing lists, (Though Debian/Gentoo/Lunar devs are also seen often, they are rather DIY esp the latter, no Xubuntu though) and it's a goal of the spin to advance Xfce whenever possible.
That seems pointless to me - it uses PulseAudio, and all I get is crackling and popping because of it. :-|

bailout
December 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
for me its

Does slim allow choosing different sessions? I was thinking of installing openbox as well and being able to choose which to run. Aso I see that alsa-base is config files for alsa. Are those needed or do you have a special reason for installing them?

thanks

Simian Man
December 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
I agree that the Fedora Xfce spin is a great experience. It comes with a lot of apps that are either Xfce or generally light like Parole, xfburn, Midori (though Firefox is included too), Quod Libet, Claws Mail and so on. I personally replace some of these with more full-featured alternatives, but it's nice to see the defaults actually be reasonable for older hardware.

It also comes with a nice Xfwm4 port of Fedora's Nodoka theme which I was pleased to see.

That seems pointless to me - it uses PulseAudio, and all I get is crackling and popping because of it. :-|
Personally I find that Pulseaudio generally works better under Fedora than Ubuntu. If you have trouble with it, it can be removed though (please file a bug if there are problems!).

Does slim allow choosing different sessions? I was thinking of installing openbox as well and being able to choose which to run.

Yes slim does allow multiple sessions. You change the session by hitting F1.

Slug71
December 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu on my machine along with other distros and i use Xubuntu the most. I really like it.

I also setup a partition with a Crunchbang base and Xfce DE. I kept breaking it though trying to update it to Karmic standard or trying to remove the Gnome dependencies that were still present.

I would open Synaptic and type 'Gnome' and there would be quite a few stuff and i dont know why there has to be so much when Gnome itself isnt even present.

Doing a Karmic base with Xfce has even way more Gnome stuff.

All i really want from Gnome side is Packagekit-gnome, GDM and Network Manager. Yet it seems you cant have those present without dragging in a bunch of dependencies. You also cant uninstall certain programs without it removing stuff you dont want removed. The dependency hell thing can be really annoying.

I think im going to try a Lucid base now but not sure if i should use the Server install or Minimal.

Will probably just have to compile the software i want that tend to drag unnecessary dependencies.

Praxicoide
December 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Does slim allow choosing different sessions? I was thinking of installing openbox as well and being able to choose which to run. Aso I see that alsa-base is config files for alsa. Are those needed or do you have a special reason for installing them?

thanks

I don't know if they are needed, but I couldn't get sound without them on my laptop.

manilaph
December 4th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I have tried the Karmic Koala versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.

In my experience the fastest one was always consistently Xubuntu, then Ubuntu and Kubuntu being the slowest.

Some people say that there is no speed difference between Xubuntu and Ubuntu but I can readily feel that Xubuntu is faster in all aspects.

I also like the organization of "Applications" and "Places".

This latest Xubuntu release is simply the best.

By the way, I removed "usplash" and boot-up became much faster.

Cheers to the Xubuntu team.

sickhead
December 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
with a Dual Core AMD @ 2,4 GHz and 4GB Ram i don't have to stay with Xubuntu. but i love XFCE and i hate GNOME and KDE. i like minimalistic desktops. when i had to choose another desktop i would setup some OPENBOX+TINT+LXSESSION+NITROGEN..... desktop.

XubuRoxMySox
December 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
By the way, I removed "usplash" and boot-up became much faster.

You mean removed as in uninstalled? Or removed as in disabled?

Not that bootup is slow at all for me (in fact it's faster than ever in Xubuntu Karmic), just curious.

-Robin

jollysnowman
December 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
with a Dual Core AMD @ 2,4 GHz and 4GB Ram i don't have to stay with Xubuntu. but i love XFCE and i hate GNOME and KDE. i like minimalistic desktops. when i had to choose another desktop i would setup some OPENBOX+TINT+LXSESSION+NITROGEN..... desktop.

Have you heard of CrunchBang? It's exactly that.

(Or maybe that was a clever advertisement and I just fail lol)

stu500
December 8th, 2009, 02:59 AM
recent convert to xubuntu :P

My desktop
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9532/screenshotyy.th.png (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/screenshotyy.png/)

murderslastcrow
December 8th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I used it on my PS3, but switched to e17 a few minutes later.

I'm strongly considering using Xfce, since it can use Gnome2 applets, and that's the biggest thing I consider with Gnome usage. Also, if I can get the composited notifications working in Xubuntu I would totally switch (why not, you still get to use GTK).

Then again, when you could use enlightenment 17, Xfce seems a tad redundant unless you need an overly consistent UI. Still, I think Gnome 3 should just be Gnome but faster. XD Then add some features.

Xfce is a great environment. Considering its compatibility, I'm surprised at how small its footprint can be.

PacSci
December 8th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'm running Xubuntu on two of my computers, Arch + Xfce on my server, and my dad also runs Xubuntu on his laptop.

The main thing I like about it is that it strikes a good balance between the overbearing simplicity of GNOME and the overbearing option-havingness (and general overbearingness) of KDE - you can customize a lot of stuff, but it doesn't really get in your way as much. It's also a lot simpler in terms of architecture, and pulling down a single package from Xfce doesn't pull down the whole dang desktop environment (i.e. xfce4-panel vs. gnome-panel).

Another thing I like about it is that on my fairly slow (for today - 1.8 GHz) laptop, it uses less resources that Ubuntu or Kubuntu would.

vrkalak
December 8th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I love the Xfce desktop. I have several distros, all with Xfce.

I mainly, use my Xubuntu 9.10 or Debian (testing) -Xfce
Also, on my main PC is LinuxMint-7 Xfce CE and Fedora12-Xfce

I have downloaded #!Crunchbang but I don't really like the OpenBox DE.
And LinuxMint-8 with Xfce over a Gnome base. I downloaded the Xfce4 Meta-package from the Ubuntu repositories.

I like the speed and simplicity of Xfce. It can do things that Gnome can't.

XubuRoxMySox
December 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Two questions haunt me...

How is Xubuntu supposed to be pronounced? Is it ZOO-BUNT-TOO (X pronounced as Z as in Xylophone or Xerox or something) or EX-U-BUN-TOO...

I just call it "my desktop OS."

And how is Xfce vocalized? Ex-eff-ess or what?

Meh. I just call it "my favorite d.e."

-Robin

jollysnowman
December 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Two questions haunt me...

How is Xubuntu supposed to be pronounced? Is it ZOO-BUNT-TOO (X pronounced as Z as in Xylophone or Xerox or something) or EX-U-BUN-TOO...

I just call it "my desktop OS."

And how is Xfce vocalized? Ex-eff-ess or what?

Meh. I just call it "my favorite d.e."

-Robin

I pronounce it "zooboontoo". I feel like if it were X-Ubuntu, the U would be capitalized.

And Xfce is just letters.... so x-f-c-e.

NormanFLinux
December 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Neither LXDE nor XFCE have enough stand-alone applications to make for a complete self-contained operating system. So to get a full-featured system, GNOME applications usually have to be installed. Its not "pure" but you still get a lightweight OS along with all the apps most frequently used on it.

Praxicoide
December 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I pronounce it "shoobuntu" as if it were in Portuguese.

chessnerd
December 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I use Ubuntu now, but when I first installed Linux I used Xubuntu (hence my profile picture) and I really liked it. It was fast, reliable, and powerful. Not many people like Xfce, but I feel like it's a solid DE. I like the mentality associated with it as well. Smaller is better and, without a doubt, fast is good.

I am probably going to go back to Xubuntu on my desktop over Christmas break to help boost the speed on it. Ubuntu works okay, but I can feel it slowing down as I use it. Xubuntu would breathe new life into the old system.

And, just throwing this out there, Xubuntu has a much better color scheme than Ubuntu.

MC707
December 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I use Ubuntu now, but when I first installed Linux I used Xubuntu (hence my profile picture) and I really liked it. It was fast, reliable, and powerful. Not many people like Xfce, but I feel like it's a solid DE. I like the mentality associated with it as well. Smaller is better and, without a doubt, fast is good.

I am probably going to go back to Xubuntu on my desktop over Christmas break to help boost the speed on it. Ubuntu works okay, but I can feel it slowing down as I use it. Xubuntu would breathe new life into the old system.

And, just throwing this out there, Xubuntu has a much better color scheme than Ubuntu.

I might do that as well. My Karmic experience in the last few weeks has been a little less than hopeless. The worst problem: suspend problems. Yet again, I get those damned suspend problems. However, now I have traced a pattern... first, if I have ANY application open that has a window (ie. Firefox, Transmission, etc.), then the computer will not give display input after suspend. Second, if I suspend after closing ALL previously mentioned applications, the computer will give display input. However, opening other applications like Firefox, closing them all and suspending for a second (or third time for that matter) will result in no display input. So, hopefully Xubuntu won't have these problems.

Heh, if I get rid of this laziness I got, I might post this problem (yet again) in launchpad.

Marvin666
December 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I pronounce it "zooboontoo". I feel like if it were X-Ubuntu, the U would be capitalized.

And Xfce is just letters.... so x-f-c-e.
Seconded.

manilaph
December 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
You mean removed as in uninstalled? Or removed as in disabled?

Not that bootup is slow at all for me (in fact it's faster than ever in Xubuntu Karmic), just curious.

-Robin

sudo apt-get remove usplash