PDA

View Full Version : Best laptop for Ubuntu

Nermin
November 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure if this place is right for this thread. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I am an Ubuntu newbie... A good start:)
I want to buy a new laptop and would like to know which is best for Ubuntu 7.10. I heard that some things don't work on Ubuntu, driver problems, etc etc etc...
So, what do you suggest??? Price should be around 1000$-1200$ or 1000€.

Siph0n
November 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
There is no best laptop, but you might want to go with something that has an nvidia chipset, instead of ATI.... I hear they work better with linux! :) Also an atheros chipset for the wireless part, or there are a few more that I know work really well with linux, i just forget the names.

Nermin
November 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
ok, thanks

Still, could you suggest one that would work without driver problems? Intel Core Duo if possible, with a decent graphic card.

Dimitriid
November 14th, 2007, 10:39 PM
For that price which is quite comfortable I'd go with:

www.dell.com/open

or

www.system76.com

Normally I don't recommend these cause the price tag - hardware features ratio is not the best but in your case you can configure a pretty decent system and have it working with guaranteed, Linux friendly hardware.

SomeGuyDude
November 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
My HP dv6000 (specifically a 6244us) has, in terms of the OS working with the hardware, been flawless. Even the little media control buttons above the keyboard work.

It's an Intel Core 2 Duo T5200, the graphics driver I -believe- is one of those Intel shared memory dealies, and I don't know what kind of wireless comes in it. All I know is that everything worked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6244us-Notebook_W0QQitemZ270149398570QQihZ017QQcategoryZ1 40067QQcmdZViewItem

That's it, though I wouldn't suggest buying it from Random Company on eBay.

Dimitriid
November 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM
some dv600, 9000 and compaq models recently had a BIOS update so if you get one and the Broadcom wireless seems bad no matter what you try its the same for even vista users.

In fact for the time being avoid:
Broadcom based wireless cards
ATI based video cards ( yep, its still just promises of better driver support as of this day )

Those are the big two for a newbie that are most likely hard to troubleshoot.

silent1643
November 15th, 2007, 12:23 AM
take a look at your options (http://www.littleubuntu.com/blog/index.php?tag=preinstalled-ubuntu)if you want a pre-installed ubuntu machine
system 76 is a good choice

Nermin
November 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thank you guys! I like the system 76 laptops.
Thanks again!

mips
November 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Thinkpad. you can't go wrong there.