PDA

View Full Version : Just installed ubuntu 7.10, like kubuntu more...

cacycleworks
November 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'm switching my company from windows to all open source apps and started using kubuntu on my laptop. Have been using it for 6+ months and am really happy.

I recently decided to reinstall the OS on my home laptop and thought rather than kubuntu, i'd try ubuntu to check out the eye candy. This is a 2 year old sony 32 bit core duo laptop.

Some initial observations:
- normal installer cd required full boot to the OS before installing. I really wanted to get the typical CLI install because I can install ubuntu in my sleep.
- got the alt cd...
- everything started up ok only wireless didn't work. Turns out I needed to google to find out how to get on the net to find the cheat to trick nm-applet into using wireless. This is weird to me because kubuntu worked out of box without any tricks needed.

To me, that ubuntu is considered very friendly and it needed some advanced CLI is not a good thing. Hopefully, someone who can influence change for the better can take note of this observation.

Fwiw, I did this: http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu-linux.html

Oh, and had to google again to know that I had to launch gnome-keyring-manager to save the password. Again, kubuntu has this covered.

Loving the eye candy!

I'll give ubuntu a real good try. I would just turn back and go to kubuntu, but I want to put in the effort to see if ubuntu can make me happy. :)

deepwave
November 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Wow! I am glad you enjoy using Kubuntu more. And I am quite surprised that the alternate Ubuntu install gave you so much trouble. Normally I find that Ubuntu is a bit easier to set up than Kubuntu since it most of the Canonical devs work on Ubuntu exclusively. And I find that Kubuntu is usually a version behind in terms of features. But I end up using Kubuntu myself because I prefer KDE over Gnome.

cacycleworks
November 20th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, and I just upgraded my work laptop to gutsy kubuntu. That was quite the leap for me, as it was a BEAR to install fiesty on it. Of course, I made life hard by insisting on amd64 install on my shiny new dell d620 with intel core duo.

Everything but sound worked right off. The only "tweak" I needed was to do the same pci=assign-busses on boot. I almost can't believe there was nothing to do to make 1440x900 resolution or any sillyness for wireless either. (might look into the sound but i don't really care)

I spent more time trying to figure out why my LAMP install for development needed so much tweaking, but I got it.

Overall, putting /home on its own partition has been so amazing. I can reinstall the OS in anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours now. And the 3 hours would now be 30 minutes, now that I'm documenting my tweaks. ;)