PDA

View Full Version : Your next (open) mobile, what platform?

KhaaL
November 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I'm curious on peoples mobile habits here. Since I got my SE t610 my mobile habits never was the same really. It had a calendar, java support, wapping and a bunch of other cool features. since a while ago I have what I call my precious, a K750i. I can check gmail from it, browse maps, it got a mp3 player (but not ogg, grrr!) a calendar and a nifty note function.

But I will switch away from SE because it's simply not open. I want my mobiles full functionality instead of having to pay for a new one to get software upgrades and some extra hardware functionality. Besides, I want a mobile that I can syncronize fully with my system (which I can't currently). But now I'm torn between the android and openmoko platforms. And I think I will go with android for the wider support and adoption.

Anyone else reasoning like me?

Rhubarb
November 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Ooooh yeah, I'll be getting my openmoko phone soon. Mainly because FIC encourage you to tinker with their mobile phone hardware as well the software (exposed I2C bus, jtag connector).

Kowalski_GT-R
November 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I'm deeply interested in these things, but personally I think open mobile platforms are at an early stage.

I'm fine with a crappy gprs mobile, and waiting for Ubuntu Mobile to come out and see how it fares: it will be fun afterwards...:)

drsaamah
November 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
wait... is that a joke? Is there such thing as a ubuntu mobile platform in the works? Because that would be flippin amazing!

KhaaL
November 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
It's in the works AFAIK, but I don't know what platforms it supports (I don't think it can be installed on Neo1973?)

Kareema
January 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm waiting for the Neo Freerunner (GTA02). Openmoko has started its development platform over a year ago and I have followed the progress for some months now. It's all I expect from a truly free environment and the phone has all the features I actually need. Don't know how "free" the Android platform will be...

KhaaL
January 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I've also found out about Freerunner and decided to save my money for it :)

Found some cool youtube videos of openmoko in action, check them out here (http://youtube.com/profile?user=mokoNinja) and here (http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BAB67B38A0C609EE).