PDA

View Full Version : Feisty Fawn vs. Gutsy Gibbon

rundee_f
November 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
As i browse this forum, lots of people stated that Gutsy is a bit more buggy than Feisty,, I would like to know, which one is better release for all of who has used both release... and why? i guess u have experiences with it...

maduranga
November 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Feisty has been a good, stable linux distro to me. I did the job perfectly. But I have been using Gutsy since it was in its alpha state. And Gutsy is now released as the stable current release. And now I'm using it. I ddnt had any problem using Gutsy, specially after its stable release.

And Gutsy has some new cool features. One of my favorite is Compiz Fusion

FG123
November 14th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Gutsy. The threads talking about how "unstable" it is are getting tiring.

Takmadeus
November 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

True... dunno, but for me kubuntu gutsy has worked like a charm ;)

igknighted
November 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM
As i browse this forum, lots of people stated that Gutsy is a bit more buggy than Feisty,, I would like to know, which one is better release for all of who has used both release... and why? i guess u have experiences with it...

Gutsy has better hardware support (new kernel = support for new devices), better config tools and lots of newer packages (notably for me is pidgin is now available instead of gaim). New packages = untested packages, so there could be bugs that haven't been found yet.

Feisty is an older codebase with a few more bugs worked out, but you are missing out on the last 6 months of innovation (a lifetime in the free software world).

My answer then, is that Gutsy is better due to 6 months more progress and adding features. If an older and more stable codebase is what you want, go use Debian Etch. It's just as good, but pulls off the "stable codebase" thing better. Ubuntu is based on Debian Sid, so it tends to stay close to the cutting edge. It is about innovation. And because of this, I lean towards the newer, more feature-filled release as the better Ubuntu release.

Christmas
November 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Is it only about Ubuntu or Kubuntu too? Anyway, I did not try 7.04 so I guess I can't vote.

rundee_f
November 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
some people complain bout the Gutsy login time and so on though...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=595825

igknighted
November 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=595825

And Feisty couldn't be run on newer ATI cards as a liveCD (sorry can't find the link now, but it was stickied on top of beginners talk for a long time). Software has bugs, always. Its more of a given than death and taxes. That doesn't mean it isn't better, despite a few minor glitches that have simple work-arounds.

MNICY
November 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM
only problem ive had with Gutsy is update. I said "screw it", downloaded the CD and did a clean install. Worked like a charm :D

Once installed, Gutsy is far superior. I guess mostly because i use 64 bit, and flash works easily with firefox lol
But generly, Gutsy has no bugs that Feisty did not have, and there are a few that seem to be missing.
Would not go back to Feisty for anything
(even though fiesty was relased on April 19, which is my birthday. i laughed when i realised that when i had fesity installed)
edit:
my load / login times are the same in Gutsy as they were in feisty. super fast. about 50x faster then win XP and 1000000x faster then win Vista :D

WanderingKnight
November 14th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Disabling the splashscreen in your GRUB's menu.lst exceptionally increases booting time.

Tux Aubrey
November 14th, 2007, 07:26 AM

+1.

Does anyone else think some of these are trolls? I know mileage varies, but I've now installed, or upgraded to, Gutsy (Ubuntu and Xubuntu plus Fluxbuntu) on five different computers and each has been a dream. All have faster boot times than they did with Fiesty.

They are so good I'm in danger of loosing my command-line skills :)

My favorite new thing is the Gimp RC (despite a couple of minor bugs).

K.Mandla
November 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM
The merits and shortcomings of one release or another are frequent appearances in the cafe, and for that reason this thread is being redirected to Recurring Discussions.

Please fasten your seat belts, the captain has activated the no smoking sign. ... ;)

bruce89
November 15th, 2007, 12:55 AM
New versions of software improve in some areas, and get worse in others.

The merits and shortcomings of one release or another are frequent appearances in the cafe, and for that reason this thread is being redirected to Recurring Discussions.

A sure fire way of killing it.

Dragonbite
November 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
So far I've found Dapper to be the most stable of them, but I haven't gotten "down and dirty" with Gutsy yet (just clean-installed it last night, haven't had time to play with it yet).

rundee_f
November 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
me myself just received my Gutsy Ship 2 weeks ago and try to install it within this week.. to busy with my exams... T_T

Rhapsody
November 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'm liking Gutsy. I've still got some sound problems, and I can't install the restricted NVIDIA drivers without the refresh rate going loco, but it's good overall.

Nonno Bassotto
November 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Does anyone else think some of these are trolls? I know mileage varies, but I've now installed, or upgraded to, Gutsy (Ubuntu and Xubuntu plus Fluxbuntu) on five different computers and each has been a dream. All have faster boot times than they did with Fiesty.

No, they aren't. I have been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog. For me each release was better than the previous one, so I couldn't understand why people were complaining so much each time. This time it happened to me, so I feel free to complain.

Up 'till now I had the following problems with my Gutsy upgrade:

1. The resolution for my Intel video card was not correct anymore. Solution: install 915resolution
2. I lost my compiz settings. Solution: recreate them with patience.
3. Got the white border bug in Compiz. Solution: enlarge the shadows to 8.5 pixels.
4. Lost the sound preview. Solution: reinstall esound
5. Evince does not work inside Firefox anymore. No solution yet. A temporary solution is resizing Firefox to show the documents.
6. No sound in Skype after upgrade. Solution: reinstall esound and delete ~/.Skype
7. Login time increased from few seconds to 52 seconds. No solution yet.
8. The birthdays calendar in Evolution is now empty. No solution yet.
9. OpenOffice crashes when doing anything. Temporary workaround: remove openoffice.org-gtk
10. Jack doesn't start. No solution yet.

I have some reason to complain, do I? Apart from my single case, I think there are three main reasons why Gutsy is considered unstable.

First, they switched from Compiz to Compiz Fusion, which is a recent merge of Compiz and Beryl, so is buggier. Second, they are doing the change from ESD to PulseAudio. But PulseAudio isn't ready yet (you can't use some applications, like Skype, and even getting sound working in Flash is not obvious). So they screwed what was working of the sound architecture (I reinstalled ESD, but for example I have not been able to get sound directly through ALSA). Third, there is a bug with the GTK widgets in OpenOffice: if you use certain themes, OO will do nothing but crash.

And repeat with me "the login time is not the boot time". I agree that the boot is now faster, but the login time has considerably increased for many people.

I should consider a fresh install, but I don't have time for now, so I'm waiting for these bugs to be fixed.

gn2
November 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
My experience is mixed. I use two very different machines.
My laptop is a P3 500 with 192mb RAM, my desktop is Core 2 Duo E6300 with 1gb RAM.

Both were running Xubuntu 7.04. Upgraded the laptop, took ages to boot, very slow, wouldn't run more than one app at a time. Tried a clean install, no change.
Perfectly useable under 7.04, utterly useless with 7.10.

On the desktop, a totally different experience, no problems whatsoever upgrading to 7.10.

Overall, for me 7.04 is the better version.

rundee_f
November 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
oh no... after a few weeks considering to upgrade from Feisty to Gutsy, i decided to do a fresh install on Gutsy.. Afterwards, i found that my battery life reduces by 56%!!! noooooo!!!

this thread almost conclude that Gutsy is way ahead than Feisty,, dunno what happen to me... :(

help....