PDA

View Full Version : Google OS

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 04:32 AM
GoogleOS
What it might be: A rich browser-based, Web-enabled application platform that runs on any computing platform and starts to compete with traditional operating systems (such as, well, Microsoft Windows). Evidence it's in the works: Nothing specific, but the more well-rounded and sophisticated Google's suite of Web-based tools becomes, the more sense it makes. Read more about it: Blogger Jason Kottke outlines what GoogleOS could be. (It's a long but rewarding read; I think Kottke's latched onto the most plausible scenario in which Windows' dominance might see serious erosion.)

From Pc World.com

Do you people think this is in the works and what is your thoughts about it.

drizek
August 31st, 2005, 04:55 AM
From Pc World.com

Do you people think this is in the works and what is your thoughts about it.
all this google crap is starting to remind me of apple and how they keep things "hush-hush" :roll: and then release subpar products and everyone wants to get a copy like theres no tomorrow. and hten you have sites like marrumors.com and appleinsider and other crap like that. these people need to get a life.

honestly, i dont give a ****. if google does release an os, it will have one or two gimmicky features, it will be used by geeks all over the place, and it will suck hard compared to linux or even windows.

macgyver2
August 31st, 2005, 05:06 AM
That article actually kinda irked me. What it labels an OS isn't an OS at all! Calling the thing that was outlined an OS is, in my mind, like calling Gnome an OS.

As for if I think it could happen...well it's definitely possible. I have no idea if it's in the works or not.

But it wouldn't be an OS!

papangul
August 31st, 2005, 06:19 AM
Actually the phd's at google may be on a misssion to turn browsers into some alternative to operating systems. If office applications can be replaced with web interfaces like gmail and google maps, then think of the potential. The google suite of web applications can be used in wide range of devices, from internet enabled TV sets to $100 laptops!

rolfotto
August 31st, 2005, 07:01 AM
Here is Kottke's origal web log on this:
http://www.kottke.org/04/04/google-operating-system

It's true, this isn't really a new OS as I understand (Google would be stupid to reinvent the wheel, not to mention all the problems like driver suppport) but just a fancy line of thinking (hype) that basicially seems to be heading down the well-trodden web services alley.

I think this is just another resurfacing of the age old "dumb terminals - smart servers" idea. The question is -- now that home computers are so fast - why relegate it to a dumb terminal when the server on the other end isn't likely to be much more powerful - and definitely not orders of a magnitude more powerful.

The answer would be simplicity and to have a central location for my information - the same reasons why I used yahoo and now gmail for my email. It was simpler as in I didn't have to set up anything, or upkeep anything like a spam filter. It all automatically done for me. Plus I can sign in anywhere.

But past email, I don't have a need for it. And now that notebook sales have exceeded desktop sales - the second factor of anywhere accesible central location of data might have just been taken care of by the next generation of sneakernet:P

I'd love to have Google prove me wrong though and surprise me with something new.

primeirocrime
September 21st, 2005, 02:39 PM
http://grooan.com/futurefeeds/index.php?p=15

it has some screenshots

mind you it's in the Italian language.

papangul
September 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
"Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft": http://news.com.com/Google+builds+an+empire+to+rival+Microsoft/2100-1032_3-5875433.html

skoal
September 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
http://grooan.com/futurefeeds/index.php?p=15

Looks good. I wouldn't mind just having an OS dedicated to online access. I wouldn't need them to provide me a whole sweet of stuff like word processing, game platform, etc. Either way, the embedded market looks like a prime candidate for this market...

\\//_

BWF89
September 22nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't want an OS deticated to online access. What if I had a laptop that only connected to the internet through my houses wireless router? How would I do anything with my laptop I spend hundreds of dollars on if I was taking it different places?

skoal
September 22nd, 2005, 08:42 PM
How would I do anything with my laptop I spend hundreds of dollars on if I was taking it different places?
Have an expensive frisbey to play with fido? muahaha...
BFW, you would still look snazzy cool walking down the street with your laptop tucked underneath your arm. These days, computer accessories are the new fad in fashion. I have my Ubuntu CD on a gold chain dangling from my neck...

I dunno. But you make a good point. I think the safe assumption is that broadband availability (including wireless AP's off that backbone) will continue it's rapid growth. SBC laid out fiber rings around the entire metroplex here almost 3 years ago, and I know that trend is continuing nationally.

Afterall, does google necessarily need to appeal to _everyone_ (initially)?

\\//_

occy8
September 22nd, 2005, 11:53 PM
interresting thought all you have is a remote display, a wireless touchscreen, or something like it.

Originally Posted by BWF89
How would I do anything with my laptop I spend hundreds of dollars on if I was taking it different places?

with your laptop you can remove the drives and boards and turn that part in a lunchbox :-P

XDevHald
September 23rd, 2005, 12:14 AM
Looks like something I would give to a 10 year old cousin of mine to learn how to use just for what it's made of "Internet"

Would keep them from installing crap and other useless things, though for myself, I need command lines and other useful things to make my brain work.

Goober
September 23rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
I would have to see exactly what the proposed OS would do before I say anything, but, if it is stable, reasonably priced, can do everything that ******* can (Games, Word processing, etc.), then I might consider buying it. But only if I can change the default settings that were in those screenies. Looking at those little red and yellow circles would drive me nut(ier then I already am :p) looking at them all day.

Nah, I might not buy it, I have better things to waste my money on (read chocolate). But it would be nice for ******* to have some real competition.

skoal
September 23rd, 2005, 02:23 AM
[...] I have better things to waste my money on (read chocolate).
Read chocolate? That's kind of ironic, actually. I was scanning the back of my Nestle Toll House chocolate bar the other day, and saw "Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil" as I picked the gooey nugget interior off my teeth. An idear came over me. Hmph, vegetable Oil is normally made from corn. Ethanol is distilled from corn. Hydrogenated sounds an awfully lot like hydrogen to me. So, at $3.12/gallon vs. 50cents/wrapper, shoving one of these bad boys in my gas tank might just be the wave of the future...

\\//_

TravisNewman
September 23rd, 2005, 02:31 AM
lol, it might be the wave of getting a totally screwed up car too ;)

You shoul definitely try it though, and let us know how it goes!!

(please nobody take this seriously. I take no responsibility for messed up cars)

mstlyevil
September 23rd, 2005, 03:16 AM
What Google is trying to do is take all the software people buy an OS for off the PC and put it on a server instead. In a way this is totally genius. Think about this for a minute. You want a word processing app, yet you do not have the money to buy word. Here is Google going to let you use a web based ad supported WP for free and then you can save the document to the server or the pc or just print it and delete it, with no software to buy. People might then decide to go use a free OS like Ubuntu and completely dump MS because they see no need to pay a large sum of money for something that doesn't even have the app on it they want to use in the first place. That is why MS is sao worried about Google. This is the biggest threat to the MS empire since the early days of the McIntosh.

occy8
September 23rd, 2005, 03:24 AM
Looks like something I would give to a 10 year old cousin of mine to learn how to use just for what it's made of "Internet"

Would keep them from installing crap and other useless things, though for myself, I need command lines and other useful things to make my brain work.

it's not necessary only internet. you could run all sorts of applications on a remote computer. you can work on a text document, speadsheet, whatever and save it on your space at google and you propably get billed for usage time.

somuchfortheafter
September 23rd, 2005, 11:50 AM
hmm i figured the add would scan your documents then deiver content based ads to you... seems to be what they are best at to me.( like gmail)