PDA

View Full Version : How before you start seeing...

Nevon
November 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Right now a lot of people have only ever used Windows, many don't even know about the alternatives (with maybe the exception of OSX). How long, if ever, do you think it will take before we start seeing the opposite? How long before there are a considerable number of people who have never used Windows? Will it ever happen? Do we even want that to happen?

Discuss.

MrSpiffdifilous
November 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM
I dont know that it will ever happen. People cling to their Windows pretty hard because it's all they know in the world of computers. Until 2 years ago I had only heard of Linux but never seen it or tried it. I thought it was a system for hackers who had no lives and spent every waking hour staring at code. Now I've been using Ubuntu for about a year and i love it. My system is still dual boot. I still have XP MCE for when I want to play games. I haven't quite got wine down yet, but I am so much more happy with Gutsy than Vista.

I think that if it ever happens it will take a long time because M$, feeling the pressure, will be holding a gun to some companies heads saying "You better not port your product to Linux or else." They already have the industry in somewhat of a stranglehold being the standard.

Theres no doubt that Linux is gaining popularity. Especially now that it is being offered by OEM's like Dell. If nothing else this will atleast raise the question in peoples heads "Whats Linux? Whats Ubuntu?"

end of book...for now

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM
do we get a thread a day like this?

Nevon
November 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM
do we get a thread a day like this?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked many times before. I've never seen it been asked here before though.

FG123
November 14th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I doubt it will be for an extremely long time. It's amazing what you can do with money.

frup
November 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM
We just all need to have as many kids as we can afford to get the new generation of users :P

Nevon
November 14th, 2007, 04:10 AM
We just all need to have as many kids as we can afford to get the new generation of users :PThat's what I was thinking too. Let's say there's 2.000.000 desktop Linux users out there, if we all have 5 kids each, whom we force Linux upon, the next generation will have 10.000.000 Linux users (plus the 2mil "original users"), and then I'm not even bringing the natural growth of Linux into the equation.
If we keep this plan going for the next generation too, we'll end up with 50.000.000 Linux users! Now we're talking market share!

yatt
November 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Who cares. Really, I think we just need to surpass OS X by enough that we are consistently higher in market share than them. Maybe a percent or so.

After people clue in that we are number two, we will hopefully have better round the board support driver wise. That is all that I really think we could gain from additional market share. After that point, market share becomes more of a "that is nice, but as I was saying..." issue.

Allot of people on Linux boards seem to think that people should be free to chose whatever OS they'd like, provided that choice is Linux. I just do not understand why. If you have broken hardware, I could see why you would care that more people use Linux. Otherwise it just seems silly to me.

MrSpiffdifilous
November 14th, 2007, 04:59 AM
i dont really care one way or another if more people start using Linux. I'd just like to see more support for drivers and native apps. Linux is a great OS and can only be improved by those 2 things as far as I'm concerned

Nevon
November 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Who cares. Really, I think we just need to surpass OS X by enough that we are consistently higher in market share than them. Maybe a percent or so.

After people clue in that we are number two, we will hopefully have better round the board support driver wise. That is all that I really think we could gain from additional market share. After that point, market share becomes more of a "that is nice, but as I was saying..." issue.

Allot of people on Linux boards seem to think that people should be free to chose whatever OS they'd like, provided that choice is Linux. I just do not understand why. If you have broken hardware, I could see why you would care that more people use Linux. Otherwise it just seems silly to me.
Please note that I'm not saying "Linux is the only choice and M$ sucks so bad that no one should have to use their software!!!!1".

You're raising an interesting point though, maybe there really isn't a huge point to getting a big market share, once we've reached a level where we have good driver support. However, wouldn't it be nice to have the gaming industry open its eyes to Linux? That would require a market share that is substantially bigger than OSX's though...

yatt
November 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Please note that I'm not saying "Linux is the only choice and M$ sucks so bad that no one should have to use their software!!!!1".

You're raising an interesting point though, maybe there really isn't a huge point to getting a big market share, once we've reached a level where we have good driver support. However, wouldn't it be nice to have the gaming industry open its eyes to Linux? That would require a market share that is substantially bigger than OSX's though...That wasn't aimed specifically at you. Really, it is more aimed at a few Linux users that are on other forums I use. Anytime computing comes up, the thread usually devolves into the Linux crowed actively trying to make a convert. I don't know how they could think anyone actually takes them seriously, what with all the foam at their mouths. If anything, it makes me want to switch back to Windows.

Hmm, I missed gaming. That is, I never really thought about getting games on Linux when I posted that. Given, it would mean better driver support on Linux first. Around the board, what we have driver wise is the minimally acceptable to support gaming on Linux. Intel does not make discrete chips, so they are out immediately. Nvidia lacks a graphical installer, or even an installer that works with X running. Ati is still Ati. It is my uniformed opinion that most people just go with what the distro picked for them and left it at that. Restricted Driver Manager is good for at being an universal graphical installer, but it uses repository packages which are often outdated.
Nonetheless, congrats. You have been one of the few to find a good reason to campaign for Linux adoption.