PDA

View Full Version : Make Ubuntu Look Like XP for Mom

bennettg
August 31st, 2005, 03:00 AM
Hi newbie here. off M$ for 3 months full. now want to install for mom who uses xp becuase of pop up, virus, etc. mom doesnt know anything about computers and i need to fool her into thinking she is still using windows.

can ubuntu be customeized to look like xp from the log on page to splash to desktops to apps? if so how? tried gnome-look.org without success

Orunitia
August 31st, 2005, 03:08 AM
Not the forum to ask for help.

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi newbie here. off M$ for 3 months full. now want to install for mom who uses xp becuase of pop up, virus, etc. mom doesnt know anything about computers and i need to fool her into thinking she is still using windows.

can ubuntu be customeized to look like xp from the log on page to splash to desktops to apps? if so how? tried gnome-look.org without success
Why the need to fool anyone? What happened to explaining what you are installing and the benefits of it ?

drizek
August 31st, 2005, 03:29 AM

you can start wiht

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

to install kde, which is more like windows than gnome.
then use the redmond splash(default on kubuntu), which looks like the xp welcome screen.
you can use either nuvola or crystal icon sets, i dont think she will really notice the difference between the two
find the bliss wallpaper on google.
install kbfx and a windows start button and kicker background
use a kde luna theme for the style and windeco

check these out
http://kdelook.org/content/show.php?content=27018
http://kdelook.org/content/show.php?content=155&vote=good&tan=99633438

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 03:31 AM
So Smooth XP (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=16732) doesn't do it for you?

What about XPDE (http://www.xpde.com)?

Frankly, even if you get it to look just like Windows, you will have a hard time convincing your mom it is Windows just because Ubuntu does not behave like Windows. And when a friend of hers says "Here, try this language software I picked up at the bookstore" (or whatever software it is), your mom will be confused as to why it doesn't work all of a sudden. Then, you'll have to explain that you tricked her.

Don't trick her--just tell her the truth: "Mom, to protect you from spyware, viruses, and other bad stuff, I'm installing Linux on your computer. You can still check your email, surf the internet, and do all the other things you used to do, but it will be more secure."

macgyver2
August 31st, 2005, 03:35 AM
install kbfx and a windows start button...
*sigh*...that's just a crime against nature...and probably MS, but who cares about them ;-)

xmastree
August 31st, 2005, 03:43 AM
now want to install for mom who uses xp becuase of pop up, virus, etc.lol! That's a good reason to use XP! Sorry, couldn't resist that. :-#

Anyway, I agree with the others. Suggest that this would be better for her. Does she have virus/spyware problems that she's aware of? That would help. Does her XP crash often, that's another reason for her to switch.

Anything negative you can see about her XP installation (even if it could be easily fised...) point out that ubuntu won't suffer from that.

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 03:48 AM
lol! That's a good reason to use XP! Sorry, couldn't resist that. :-#

Anyway, I agree with the others. Suggest that this would be better for her. Does she have virus/spyware problems that she's aware of? That would help. Does her XP crash often, that's another reason for her to switch.

Anything negative you can see about her XP installation (even if it could be easily fised...) point out that ubuntu won't suffer from that.
Actually, I would go for "How much better it is" rather than "How much Windows sucks". Just a mere mortal, just a click and run user, sucking or not, it's what she and all her buddies have been using for ever, so instead of telling her something she's used to sucks, I'd go with how much better and easier Linux is.

Lowe
August 31st, 2005, 04:49 AM
Why don't you just try and help the guy with his original question? He came here asking how to get his linux desktop looking more like windows, if you can't help him why even bother posting? It's his computer and he came here for help. Geez forums are useless these days.

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 04:53 AM
Why don't you just try and help the guy with his original question? First of all, I did. I gave two links--one to a Windows XP theme, another to a Windows XP desktop.

He came here asking how to get his linux desktop looking more like windows, if you can't help him why even bother posting? Because it's a community, not a help desk. Note that this is in "community chat," not absolute beginners.

It's his computer and he came here for help. Geez forums are useless these days. As opposed to the post you just posted? So instead of actually responding to posts, we should just post commentaries on how others respond to posts?

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 04:58 AM
Why don't you just try and help the guy with his original question? He came here asking how to get his linux desktop looking more like windows, if you can't help him why even bother posting? It's his computer and he came here for help. Geez forums are useless these days.

Because it's a community, not a help desk. Note that this is in "community chat," not absolute beginners.Aysiu pretty much summed it up. This is not a _non free_ Tech Support channel, it's a community based, community driven community. If a user asks for a solution to his problem and we believe we have a better way to do things, that's what we are going to tell him. This is the way forums work, if you don't like them, IRC is your friend.

So forums are useless? 30 thousand users say otherwise. Go us.

Edit: Just remembered about XPDE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPde

egon spengler
August 31st, 2005, 05:09 AM
Aysiu pretty much summed it up. This is not a _non free_ Tech Support channel, it's a community based, community driven community. If a user asks for a solution to his problem and we believe we have a better way to do things, that's what we are going to tell him. This is the way forums work, if you don't like them, IRC is your friend.

http://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPde&ei=NSsVQ_vSK8nu4AGki4mBDg
I looked at xpde for pretty much similar reasons as bennetg and back then at least (only a few months back) it didn't actually work. You could get menus that looked very similar to Windows butyou couldn't actually use them. Of course things could have changed since then but I was under the impression that develpment was winding down on it

Lowe
August 31st, 2005, 05:21 AM
Aysiu pretty much summed it up. This is not a _non free_ Tech Support channel, it's a community based, community driven community. If a user asks for a solution to his problem and we believe we have a better way to do things, that's what we are going to tell him. This is the way forums work, if you don't like them, IRC is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPde

He asked how to make Linux look like windows, not how to make his mom like linux more, so basicly you were off topic, but like i've said before the moderation here is awful. Oh and wow 30 thousand users, big deal the only reason the forum gets so many is because ubuntu is a popular distro, not because the forum quality is good. heh and as we all know because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. (windows)

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 05:29 AM
He asked how to make Linux look like windows, not how to make his mom like linux more, so basicly you were off topic

The poster was asking for help to decieve his mom to think Ubuntu was something it is not. It was honestly said that it might be hard to do (I can personally say that KDE can be made to look like XP, but I have never seen an XP splashy theme....KDE is the way to go if you must, use the redmond theme and never let her reboot) and that if she has real Windows experiance she might see through his deception. That sounds like some good advice to me. And we even gave example of ways to do it; helped more than you.

I mean...what IF she wants to install a program a friend gave her? What then? Its a slippery slope, and we are giving the best advice we can give.

but like i've said before the moderation here is awful.

Glad you think that. Your opinion matters so much considering how much you have done for the community compared to us. Volunteers loved being crapped on. Can I have some more? Would you mind insulting me personally as well?

Oh and wow 30 thousand users, big deal the only reason the forum gets so many is because ubuntu is a popular distro, not because the forum quality is good.

No one said Ubuntu was a big distro because "the forum is made well." Not once. People like the community, but that is more than the forum.

heh and as we all know because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. (windows)

True. You are entitled to your opinion...but just don't expect anyone to agree with you.

Lowe
August 31st, 2005, 05:35 AM
Glad you think that. Your opinion matters so much considering how much you have done for the community compared to us.

Your right i've done nothing, but then again I don't see what your doing that's so amazing.

True. You are entitled to your opinion...but just don't expect anyone to agree with you.

I'm not worried, not many people ever do. :cool:

Brunellus
August 31st, 2005, 05:37 AM
The poster was asking for help to decieve his mom to think Ubuntu was something it is not. It was honestly said that it might be hard to do (I can personally say that KDE can be made to look like XP, but I have never seen an XP splashy theme....KDE is the way to go if you must, use the redmond theme and never let her reboot) and that if she has real Windows experiance she might see through his deception. That sounds like some good advice to me. And we even gave example of ways to do it; helped more than you.

I mean...what IF she wants to install a program a friend gave her? What then? Its a slippery slope, and we are giving the best advice we can give.

Glad you think that. Your opinion matters so much considering how much you have done for the community compared to us. Volunteers loved being crapped on. Can I have some more? Would you mind insulting me personally as well?

No one said Ubuntu was a big distro because "the forum is made well." Not once. People like the community, but that is more than the forum.

My mother has adapted reasonably well to Ubuntu and Gnome 2.10. A bit of customization on my end has been helpful: launchers for Evolution and Firefox (OK, thoughtfully already provided), the special character palatte on the taskbar (for the odd occasion my mother needs to insert accented characters--she doesn't need (& probably couldn't handle) the keymap changer applet, which I use to switch from English to Spanish.

Her use of the computer is very basic, and she has started adapting reasonably well. She isn't very adventurous, though...but that's just her.

Advantages: the new Gnome environment has more or less compelled her to Think Different (/me waits for the Apple brickbats)....in a way, this makes her questions the more useful "How do I" rather than the merely irritating and petulant "why can't i?!" and I can administer her machine via ssh.

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 05:40 AM
Your right i've done nothing, but then again I don't see what your doing that's so amazing.
Low's Join date: 05-10-2005
poofyhairguy's Join date: Join Date: 11-23-2004

You haven't been here long enough to notice. And even if you had been long enough, by your -*ugh*, it came down to this- post count I take it you don't frequent the forums much. Mr. Poof has done more to the community than 4/5 of us all.

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 05:42 AM

I have helped over 200 people from start to finish in the beginners forum, have made more than 5 how tos, edited countless wiki pages, have just plain helped more than 2000 people in the forum, have helped connect potential developers to mentors, and I have help test backports and the guide.

Jdong, our head moderator started and maintains backports. Bored has helped more nerds here than you will ever meet in your life. Azz has defended the free software movement when it needed it, and helped with many thing I know little about. Etc. Etc. Etc. We have done a lot. It is amazing? No. But its a trillion times more than what you are doing- nothing.

Do you have valid complaints? Ways we can be better? You hijacked the thread by questioning us, so why not put your feelings on the table?

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 05:43 AM
Oh and wow 30 thousand users, big deal the only reason the forum gets so many is because ubuntu is a popular distro, not because the forum quality is good. I know you're just trolling, but on a personal note, I actually did come to Ubuntu because of its forums and community, not because it was popular. I used Mepis for a while because I found it a good starter distro. Its community is a bit lacking, though (just my opinion--no one has to agree with me). I find the community here helpful, thoughtful, responsive, and lively... present company (you) excepted.

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 05:44 AM
Oh, and I wrote this 2500+ word document that will hopefully give our original poster a better idea:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862&highlight=convert

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 05:45 AM
Your right i've done nothing, but then again I don't see what your doing that's so amazing. How many of Poofy's posts have you read? He's one of the most helpful people around, and amazingly even-tempered, too. He keeps his cool a lot more than I do!

Lowe
August 31st, 2005, 05:52 AM
Low's Join date: 05-10-2005
poofyhairguy's Join date: Join Date: 11-23-2004

You haven't been here long enough to notice. And even if you had been long enough, by your -*ugh*, it came down to this- post count I take it you don't frequent the forums much. Mr. Poof has done more to the community than 4/5 of us all.

I lurked for a while before that but your right i've never payed attention to any forum, not just this one.

I know you're just trolling, but on a personal note, I actually did come to Ubuntu because of its forums and community, not because it was popular. I used Mepis for a while because I found it a good starter distro. Its community is a bit lacking, though (just my opinion--no one has to agree with me). I find the community here helpful, thoughtful, responsive, and lively... present company (you) excepted.

I have no reason to troll and you can think that all you like because I really don't care. I noticed the topic creators post and thought you folks should be trying harder to help him, but seems you'd rather offer him your "advice".

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 05:55 AM
I have no reason to troll and you can think that all you like because I really don't care. I noticed the topic creators post and thought you folks should be trying harder to help him, but seems you'd rather offer him your "advice". If you really thought that, you'd lend a helping hand yourself instead of co-opting this thread to make it a bash-Ubuntu Forums thread instead of a make-Ubuntu-like-XP thread. Actions speak louder than words. Your actions are "hijacking thread." Your words are "trying to keep you folks on track," as if you're the forum police...

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 05:59 AM
you folks should be trying harder to help him, but seems you'd rather offer him your "advice".

Hmm...the best help is good advice. AND we gave example of what to do. Best of both worlds!

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 06:02 AM
Ok before we all go even more bananas (ok y'all ain't going bananas, but I'm short tempered) let's get back on topic.

bennettg, Just how much do you want it to look like Windows XP ? Themeing and overall feel to it ?

a) Gnome. Windows XP theme (I'm sure there's one in gnomelook.org). Modify it to have just one panel. Remove the custom menu bar and put the original one with a "Start" icon there. Instant messaging? She could use aMSN, although Gaim would still own it and Gaim exists for Windows ;). For new users the wallpaper is vital. Show your mom Windows with a geeky Gnome wallpaper and she'll think "wth is this?". Forehand, you could install some native apps like IE and Solitaire.

b) KDE with pretty much the same. If you want extreme, go Linspire or -my fav Windows feel- Xandros.

I don't like the idea of lying to a mother, but at least tell here what it is and if she wants you could make it look close enough and pointing out that you could help her get around it.

Lowe
August 31st, 2005, 06:05 AM
If you really thought that, you'd lend a helping hand yourself instead of co-opting this thread to make it a bash-Ubuntu Forums thread instead of a make-Ubuntu-like-XP thread. Actions speak louder than words. Your actions are "hijacking thread." Your words are "trying to keep you folks on track," as if you're the forum police...

Lame. It wasn't my intention to "hijack" the thread and really it's pretty obvious your not going to listen to anything I say so i'll just leave it at that.

Hmm...the best help is good advice. AND we gave example of what to do. Best of both worlds!

Ok fair enough. I'm too tired for debates now and i've already ruined this thread so if you want to discuss this further leave me a PM or send an email.

matthew
August 31st, 2005, 06:10 AM
I have no reason to troll and you can think that all you like because I really don't care. I noticed the topic creators post and thought you folks should be trying harder to help him, but seems you'd rather offer him your "advice".
Often I have asked a question or done something in my life without really understanding all of the potential ramifications of my train of thought. This is why we have friends, family and forums--to bounce ideas off of one another. Many times others will think of angles that we had not considered and so when they tell us their thoughts/opinions/give us their advice we find that our original question may not have been as important and the real issue behind it.

The original poster wants to migrate his mother to Linux. He intended to do this in a way that was deceptive: dress up linux to look like Windows. Those responding felt (properly, I think) that this would be counter-productive in the long run as lying really isn't the best thing to do so they made a reasonable and on-topic recommendation for the OP to consider.

Unlike you, Lowe.

So, quit your complaining. Take your own advice. Either post something that will help the OP and answer his original question or just quit wasting everybody's time with your insults and attitude.

Your accusations toward the mods and these forums are unfounded and foolish. This place is filled with patient, helpful people who attempt to help people who want it, sometimes by anticipating the unintended consequences that may arise from a direct response to a question.

EDIT: the previous post was made while I was writing this one.

bored2k
August 31st, 2005, 06:11 AM
Ok we've drifted long enough to take notice, so time to put my moderator boots on.

Thread Drift: Please keep discussions on topic.
Be considerate.
Be respectful.
Be collaborative
Let's get back on topic. Anymore drifting will be a) Deleted or b) Split. It's very rude to go on for this long (not for me, I like this, but for the original poster).

aysiu
August 31st, 2005, 06:11 AM
a) Gnome. Windows XP theme (I'm sure there's one in gnomelook.org). SmoothXP. I linked to it earlier (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=326330&postcount=5).

There's also eXperience (http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk2/637/)

Zyphrexi
April 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM
just in case you didn't know, for gnome users

www.gnome-look.org

for kde users

www.kde-look.org

while it will be darn near impossible to completely replicate the look and feel of windows (including menus) via a theme, you can modify the menus via nifty proggies like alacarte, which is installed by default in the base ubuntu-desktop package. (or rather ubuntu-desktop depends on alacarte)

I agree with most have said, besides if you try to fool your mom into thinking xp, that could create a lot of problems down the road. (of the angry-mother-kind) As long as it looks and feels like windows, that should be fine, then later after she's used to the interface try changing some themes around, and ask her what she thinks. I've done that with my mother on countless occasions, she doesn't seem to care much about the variances in themes. I will say this however, after using gnome, winxp seems incredibly difficult to use. Be straight with her, and give her time, show her the ropes and how easy everything is. I think you'll be amazed how well she adapts, mothers are very good at those kinds of things. (after all, my mother somehow managed to raise me, Lord knows the challenges I gave her)

Also, everyone likes totally free software, even mothers. For instance, we're christians, and there happens to be a wonderful program in the repos called gnomesword. Try to find little programs like that, something that she'll see and say 'ooh, now that's neat'.

nikoPSK
November 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Oh, and I wrote this 2500+ word document that will hopefully give our original poster a better idea:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862&highlight=convert

cool, thanks!

Xanatos Craven
November 12th, 2007, 03:15 AM
It's his computer and he came here for help. Geez forums are useless these days.
As opposed to the post you just posted? So instead of actually responding to posts, we should just post commentaries on how others respond to posts?
That guy does have a point, even though he somewhat went about it the wrong way. I've noticed here that more than often, someone will ask for help, and then more than one person will tell them to stop using whatever they're having problems with and use what they like instead. I'm not necessarily complaining, since I don't even rely on these forums all that much, but I just don't think many people are aware of how rude that is when they do that. It's not even "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that... but I may I suggest something else you might like", it's most often "OMG I hate that, program x sucks, you should use this instead".

uwishurockedthishxc
November 12th, 2007, 03:23 AM
try the art and design forum or desktop environment

Murtagh
November 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM
That guy does have a point, even though he somewhat went about it the wrong way. I've noticed here that more than often, someone will ask for help, and then more than one person will tell them to stop using whatever they're having problems with and use what they like instead. I'm not necessarily complaining, since I don't even rely on these forums all that much, but I just don't think many people are aware of how rude that is when they do that. It's not even "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that... but I may I suggest something else you might like", it's most often "OMG I hate that, program x sucks, you should use this instead".

Because they believe that the way to solve the person's problem is changing the program he/she is using.

People cant just come here and expect to get immediate answers and solutions to the problems they have without being open enough to allow a change.

If they dont like the solution, they can ask somewhere else.

Xanatos Craven
November 12th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Because they believe that the way to solve the person's problem is changing the program he/she is using.

People cant just come here and expect to get immediate answers and solutions to the problems they have without being open enough to allow a change.

If they dont like the solution, they can ask somewhere else.
Understandable. Sometimes, there's no other way to solve a problem than to try something else, especially if that person's incapable or doesn't have time to fix it themselves. But there's a clear difference between making that kind of suggestion and trying to force your own choices upon others rudely. The latter is what I'm saying happens more than it should here.

@B6Mwu8fN9M
June 25th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Copied from:http://ubuntu.online02.com/node/14

"Just download the zip file, Right-click it and select "Extract Here", then run the "InstallXpGnome.sh" by double-clicking it and choosing "Run".

Changes: Icons, GTK, Metacity, Splash, GDM Theme, Panel Background, Desktop Background, Visible Desktop Icons, Nautilus Tree View, Toolbar to Icons only. Deletes all GNOME Panels and adds a new one at bottom with Start Menu, Show Desktop, Window Switcher, Notification Area, Volume Control and Clock.

Note: There isn't any way to restore your settings easily - Gotto do it all manually."

Click here for link to .zip file: http://ubuntu.online02.com/files/XpGnome.zip

Screenshots are on the site.

Hope it helps.

ciclo
June 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM
there're themes availavle on gnome-look.org to user xp/vista icons
besides, you can install vista-start-menu; you can google that
BTW, i dont think xp/vista-like themes are good-look, lol

madjr
June 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
why not the other way around?

make her use windows for a week with the Ubuntu theme then switch and see what happens (make both look the same). Not the best idea to get her using the XP theme in ubuntu.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i149/shankarganesh/ubuntu-clearlooks-for-xp.png

http://www.cypherhackz.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/ubuntu-style-thumb.jpg

http://fioressj.deviantart.com/art/Human-for-Windows-37743373

http://blog.mypapit.net/2007/10/install-ubuntu-theme-for-windows.html

http://www.cypherhackz.net/archives/2008/04/06/ubuntu-theme-for-windows-xp/

http://blog.shankarganesh.com/2007/09/18/ubuntu-themes-for-windows-xp/

oh and remember to make the normal win XP start menu into the Classic menu

remove all Internet explorer shortcuts and that of office (better yet, just use Open office)

LookTJ
June 25th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I wouldn't recommend this because your mom will think her system is weird. She'll probably take it to "Geek Squad" and waste money on what you tricked her into.

My recommendation would be to explain what Linux is before installing without her permission and making the GUI look like Windows.

Ioky
June 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
well, yes, you can do that, but it is better to fool her by say "Linux is a newest version of computer"?

I mean you are fooling her anyway

JohnSearle
June 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Just to point out the obvious...

This thread is from 2005, so I'm sure there is no need to reply directly to the OP. I'm sure he's solved his problem 2-3 years ago.

Posts could still be useful to people looking to do a similar thing, though.

- John

Canis familiaris
June 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Do this:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u178/anurag_panda/Screenshot-1.png
THis wont make Ubuntu look like Windows but would also offer Windows simultaneously with Ubuntu so that Windows users are more comfortable.

P.S. This is virtualbox running XP in desktop 2

P.P.S. Dunno how many time will I recommend these for interoperatibility between Windows and Linux in a family.

Canis familiaris
June 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Just to point out the obvious...

This thread is from 2005, so I'm sure there is no need to reply directly to the OP. I'm sure he's solved his problem 2-3 years ago.

Posts could still be useful to people looking to do a similar thing, though.

- John

Oh! I realise that now! But why not close this thread!

TurbilentFluid
November 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Actually I am still curious! I would like to make Ubuntu appear like Windows for a different reason. I would like to install it for the users in my firm, since it's free.
I would like to make it look like Windows XP not to "trick" them, but to ease their "transfer", as I don't want them to have troubles with it. The people I'm targeting to switch are mostly 50+, people who don't want to bother with petty stuff like an OS. They got used to OpenOffice on Windows, so that should be no problem, but most are terrified of "software novelties". However I need the "skin" to be very stable. So my question is, whether xpGnome and xpDe are stable, and which one is more stable? Thank you very much!

Eternal_Nyt
December 10th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I have actually looked into xpde and it is just a temp look with no options to customize links in desktop for linkable programs. And no format control on size and the only option i was able to use was changing the desktop picture. I am looking into freespire to see how it works :)

magmon
December 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
He asked how to make Linux look like windows, not how to make his mom like linux more, so basicly you were off topic, but like i've said before the moderation here is awful. Oh and wow 30 thousand users, big deal the only reason the forum gets so many is because ubuntu is a popular distro, not because the forum quality is good. heh and as we all know because something is popular doesn't mean it is good. (windows)

Dude, you remind me of Stevesosp from GzP. Chill out or get out. And, if you dont like the mods and hate this forum so much, then STOP POSTING HERE. What your suggesting is communism, one thing I love about these forums that I hated about others is that you can tangent, rezz old stuff, crack a joke, and you dont get smitten by the smite hammer of smiting. Do you live in America? Heard of freedom? Huh, ADOLPH??

Anyway.. I dont think your mom would fall for any skin you could apply. As others have said, I would just tell her what it is. Maybe get her a few of my favorite windows security junk, (Avira personal, online armor, A squared, Ccleaner, adaware) and she should be fine. Perhaps its even time for a reformat?

igknighted
December 10th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Dude, you remind me of Stevesosp from GzP. Chill out or get out. And, if you dont like the mods and hate this forum so much, then STOP POSTING HERE. What your suggesting is communism, one thing I love about these forums that I hated about others is that you can tangent, rezz old stuff, crack a joke, and you dont get smitten by the smite hammer of smiting. Do you live in America? Heard of freedom? Huh, ADOLPH??

Anyway.. I dont think your mom would fall for any skin you could apply. As others have said, I would just tell her what it is. Maybe get her a few of my favorite windows security junk, (Avira personal, online armor, A squared, Ccleaner, adaware) and she should be fine. Perhaps its even time for a reformat?

Please look at the date of a post before you respond...

h4mx0r
December 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM
ya there is a large group of users disgusted by the ubuntu (gnome) theme that almost completely mimics the mac theme. We get so many apple rejects since linux and mac are both unix based and we all fed up with m$.

Things to fix so ubuntu != mac:
remove extra panel
fix the applets
get icons on desktop for trash can, documents, printers, etc
some may need tips on copying over settings from previous operating system
probably not used to all those glittery compiz effects yet and how to config

Oh and that previous post about virtualbox was good too. I like to use it for testing a few distros. I wouldn't try using qemu though unless your emulating some other device that isn't a computer (such as running linux on your ps3 or nintendo ds)

Now if you want some form of deception feel free to ask for that too. No need to ramble on about size of your epenis, ask away.

insane_alien
December 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
http://ubuntu.online02.com/xpgnome <this works really well.

Paqman
December 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Huh, ADOLPH??

Right, i'm calling Godwin's on this whole thread!

smartboyathome
December 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
By the way, tricking someone with Linux my making it look like windows, won't change how it works. So once someone has to do something like use the config panel, then they will figure out quickly it isn't Windows.

insane_alien
December 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
you would be surprised how well it works on the terminally technologically illiterate.

although, there is some evidence that my dad isn't quite as technophobic as he appears. he keeps borrowing my satnav.

lord_lethris
December 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
There is a good Vista Theme that I use for Ubuntu

It uses Emerald theme manager + Compiz', And its really quick and easy to setup.

For the record I have read most of what everyone has put in this thread. But I can argue the point. People hate change, even if its better.

I, today, have had a good example if this if you care to read on.

I got fed up with constantly repairing a friends laptop because of spyware and viruses. Its forever getting infected. And she keeps blaming her other half because of all the junk e-mails he gets.

I will say only this and you make up your own minds ;). SHE uses U-torrent, BitTornado, emule, Limewire and a variaty of *cough* websites *cough*

Soooo, I get this call from her other half asking me how to remove the spyware before he throws the laptop out of the window, and after a sensible chat with a man that understands (her hubby), my last stand was to install Linux Ubuntu on it and have done with it.

So he brought it round last night, and we spend a good half of the night drinking tea and installing Ubuntu + updates + codex for her videos and Music + aMSN (the only one I know that supports webcam over msn) + *cough* amule + utorrent *cough*. I even installed Clam so she can scan stuff before sending it vie e-mail.... and e-mail which I also setup. T-Mobile internet dongle even worked with no additional drivers, ubuntu just picked it up and set it up itself. 11:30pm we finished. he was happy everything works and hunky dory and it was alot faster.

This morning at 9:30am I get a message from her - "I don’t like it, it looks like a crap version of windows. It looks like someone knocked it out quickly to make a few quid"

To cut it short, after a lengthy chat, we established that she can infact do everything she did before with 99% less risk of infection, but it was the LAYOUT that was confusing her.

So back to the thread ;) I can totally agree that making Ubuntu look like windows is totally relevant for the people who are scared of change or people who are 110% Technophobes ;)

boterbram
December 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
So Smooth XP (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=16732) doesn't do it for you?

What about XPDE (http://www.xpde.com)?

Frankly, even if you get it to look just like Windows, you will have a hard time convincing your mom it is Windows just because Ubuntu does not behave like Windows. And when a friend of hers says "Here, try this language software I picked up at the bookstore" (or whatever software it is), your mom will be confused as to why it doesn't work all of a sudden. Then, you'll have to explain that you tricked her.

Don't trick her--just tell her the truth: "Mom, to protect you from spyware, viruses, and other bad stuff, I'm installing Linux on your computer. You can still check your email, surf the internet, and do all the other things you used to do, but it will be more secure."

I can understand where he is coming from and sometimes it is just better to first do and then explain because they are to conservative to even put in the little effort to get to know an OS other than one from M$.

Ontopic: it might be handy to install some wine as well as she will probably have some little programs she uses a lot and isn't convinced about the alternatives. Do make her switch asap of course;)

rick08
December 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM
I recommend telling her the benefits of linux over winblows and I'm sure she will be able to use it just fine with the default appearance. My mother is a complete newbie and she loves the linux environment. And besides, its just not right to make a linux machine look like a winblows machine.[-(

Nixie Pixel
December 17th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, this thread was started in 2005, was revived in 2006, 2007, and now 2008. I am sure some of the original responses no longer point to valid things.

aysiu
December 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I can understand where he is coming from and sometimes it is just better to first do and then explain because they are to conservative to even put in the little effort to get to know an OS other than one from M$. Tricking someone into using another OS will inevitably backfire.

If people are that tied to Windows, let them use Windows.

Tricking them into thinking Linux is Windows is just going to lead them to unreasonable expectations for Linux and the, ultimately, disappointment that Linux is not the Windows clone whoever tricked them into thinking it was made it seem to be.

nbitting
December 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
You could also try this one...

http://lifehacker.com/5093100/linux-theme-gets-scarily-close-to-xp

nitrofurano
March 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
this thread subject makes me recall this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ID2CbtnKk

JackieChan
March 18th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Why would you want it to look like XP for her? This is a different experience than Windows XP, it should look different. She needs to understand that this is not the same thing as Windows XP, and she will encounter some differences.

Jeramiah
November 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Seriously? You would want to make Ubuntu look like one of the worlds most unreliable mass produced pieces of digital horror ever?! Seriously, if you can't figure out why some would be offended by this topic (which is in the wrong part of the forum anyways) then you should take everyone's advice on convincing your Mom of Ubuntu's superiour nature. I can understand making it look like what she's used to, but what she's used to is viruses, pop-ups, and phising scams. Windows gives you all that plus the headaches. You would be far better off convincing you mom to learn Ubuntu/Linux, and buck up the man hours to teach her, rather than attempting a fake Windows/Ubuntu off-spring than can only utter "kill me" over and over at the grotesqe unholy union of trying to make it look like something it's not.

Oh, and I know this post is very, very old, but I just HAD to put my two cents in. As for giving advice to this guy; just buy your mom Windows 7, or teach her Ubuntu. If nether of those are an option, then try using a rarely functioning version of Windows XP, take a screen shot of the desktop with the start menu AND icons. Then just place Ubuntu custom launch application icons over those. It would look like Windows. For the splash screen there is pictures of Windows login screens out there. Just use those as the login background. Bam! Fake unholy Windows using Ubuntu's far better system.

Honestly, I joined this forum community because of this post. You guys are awesome, and far more patient than I am with pro-Windows users. Not only that, you guys actually helped this dude even if the idea of making Ubuntu or any distro look like Windows is aweful. Ubuntu ALREADY looks enough like Windows. Whatever the case may be, I'm happy to join a community of people that volunteer their time and patience. The people that comment on a comment is silly (and they get me commenting on the commenters comment, if that makes any sense).

GO UBUNTU PEOPLE!

murderslastcrow
November 7th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I've done it before for the sake of comfort for two of my family members. XP, Vista, OS X, 7, Windows 98- all doable in Gnome. Just use a mixture of themes, emerald, Gnomenu, Globalmenu Applet and Docks for OS X stuff, etc. etc. It's quite simple.

But I think that, after a couple of months with it, you could explain to her that it's Linux, change the theme, and then show her all the cool stuff you can do with it.

Excedio
November 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
<------------ Not a Mod...but....

<close thread>
Necromancing
</close thread>

Elfy
November 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Closed - necromancing