PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Gutsy is awesome!!!

PryGuy
November 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Hey everyone!!!
Just dropped by to say that Gutsy is really wonderful!!! I had problems with installation, I had problems with usplash, but anyway Gutsy is amazing!!! Too pity that these small problems can spoil all it's beauty for newbies... :(

santiagoward2000
November 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
After reading SOOO many posts complaining about Gusty, is good to read there's someone who really likes it!! I love it too!!

PryGuy
November 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well, the thing is Gutsy is buggy for me, Not that Gutsy is buggy itself, but I had problems with usplash for instance, and man, sorry to say that but the installer was buggy for me... What I truly liked is that fact that Gutsy seems to be ready for notebooks finally. My Wi-Fi PCIMCIA card resumed fine after hibernation. Winmodems supported also. That's cool! ;)

paul.matthijsse
November 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
here's another one who likes Gutsy. Installed it 4 days ago and most things seem to work fine. No install problems here, it was straight forward. Evolution works way faster with Spamassassin, although somewhat less accurate than in Feisty. Perhaps it has to learn a bit in the beginning. These window manipulators (compiz/beryl or whatever they are called) work, but they do not let me resize windows any more. I need to use the Alt-F7/8 commands for that. So I turned that eye candy off.

Apart from that, Gutsy seems to work fine. Happy user here!

Vitamin-Carrot
November 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I love gutsy too I havent really had any issues with it bar the exeptions of me playing with stuff i dont understand

its an OS that actually enjoyable to use

amadeus266
November 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I must be the only person who has not had a single problem with Gutsy. Effortless install, Compiz-fusion worked out of the box, had no trouble getting all the multimedia stuff working, everything just works!:guitar:

BigSilly
November 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I thought Feisty was just about perfect, but my experience with Gutsy thus far is tremendous. I have to admit, I had to stop using the 3D desktop effects since they were causing problems with Totem movie player and a couple of other things. But since that I have had nothing but fun with this desktop. I absolutely adore Ubuntu, and am so glad I used it to get rid of XP.

Top stuff! :guitar:

stinger30au
November 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I must be the only person who has not had a single problem with Gutsy.

your not the only one. I too have installed Gutsy 7.10 with out a hitch. and i have also installed Ubuntu Ultimate 1.6 with out a hitch either

svtfmook
November 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM
i got my gutsy 64 up and running on a triple boot. gutsy 64 is fast. wow. liking it so far.

celsdogg
November 14th, 2007, 02:08 AM
i love gutsy too! i thought it couldnt get better than feisty, but i was wrong! i had small problems, but thats part of the fun of it, getting it all working smoothly!

Knyven
November 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Every Ubuntu release is good for me. Installed perfectly as usual.

Maybe a lot of people complaining lately is because the users are increasing.

frup
November 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
On the 3 gutsy machines we have in our household and the 6 other machines I have installed it on Gutsy has worked brilliantly.

The minor problems are all things I have looked back in hindsight and thought "DOH"

One problem was with a broadcom wireless, The driver had previously been blacklisted (and ndsiwrapper had worked fine) with out it being blacklisted a few days of head scratching started. Once we realised the solution, we realised that we had really approached trying to solve the problem from the wrong angle.

Another problem was with an acer machine. This laptop had had 64-bit 6.06 on it and wasn't working to well. (My cousins). The system was stable but again wireless etc wasn't working. 6.10, 7.04 wouldn't install at all (although I did not personally try this, my younger brother did). 7.10 though installed well as 32-bit and my cousin was finally able to get flash etc going. After installing Acer_Acpi everything was working perfectly but that stumbled me for a moment as I had never installed on an acer before (and the wireless button had been turned off and acpi was needed to get the button to switch on)

My laptop and desktop work perfectly though. The only problem I have had is firefox. I used to get confused when people were complaining about firefox but for me it is crashing at least once a day and greys out a lot. I don't think firefox 3 will truly fix any of that either but what I have read about mozilla 2 and what will become firefox 4 excites me. I hope I don't have to wait too long. But for all my pandering over the last 3 or so years that firefox was the best browser, I now maintain that it is the second worst. Webkit/KHTML is a lot better than gecko. I still use firefox though, it is what I am used to now.

ExpatPaul
November 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Just to add my two cents. I installed Gutsy a couple of weeks ago - my first foray into Linux - and was expecting to be asking a stack of questions. But instead I've found it fast, reliable and remarkably easy to use. It's great.