PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans to be evacuated

mstlyevil
August 30th, 2005, 11:08 PM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/)

It looks like the worst is still to come for New Orleans.

bearbigears
August 31st, 2005, 12:50 AM
it is devastating what has happened to that city. on top of that i just saw the evening news and watch how the looters are having a field day. humanity at it's best!

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 01:08 AM
The whole thing makes me very sad. I was born in N.O. and most of my family LIVED there. Not places to live anymore......

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 01:12 AM
The whole thing makes me very sad. I was born in N.O. and most of my family LIVED there. Not places to live anymore......

My thoughts and prayers for your family Poofy.

Brunellus
August 31st, 2005, 01:19 AM
In ancient times, faced with something like this, cities were *abandoned*.

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 01:31 AM
My thoughts and prayers for your family Poofy.

Pray for the whole region. I just talked to my mom....I think all my family is not harmed. Which is great, stuff is not that important. But there are people that lost everything, lost the love fo their life or their kids. Pain that can never be expressed.

Pray for them.

neighborlee
August 31st, 2005, 01:58 AM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/)

It looks like the worst is still to come for New Orleans.

thx for reminder..it puts EVERYTHING in perspecvtive...

ie:

HEARTBREAKING LOSS
Watch: 'Take care of the kids'
'Take care of the kids'One man lost his wife as Katrina ripped his home apart (1:07)
• Special Report

ouch...feel sooo helpless not being able to be there and help...all can do is send what money I can and hope it helps ;-)..and pray gods mercy and strenght is with them all...

cheers
nl

poofyhairguy
August 31st, 2005, 02:03 AM
thx for reminder..it puts EVERYTHING in perspecvtive...

ie:

HEARTBREAKING LOSS
Watch: 'Take care of the kids'
'Take care of the kids'One man lost his wife as Katrina ripped his home apart (1:07)
• Special Report

ouch...feel sooo helpless not being able to be there and help...all can do is send what money I can and hope it helps ;-)..and pray gods mercy and strenght is with them all...

cheers
nl

the thing I pray for is that people will still want to help when this is not in the news anymore....years later...

Ride Jib
August 31st, 2005, 03:11 AM
Yeah.. whenever another country is in a hard time, the US is the first to reach into their pockets, give support, etc etc etc...

I have yet to hear a single word of another country even thinking about helping us in any way.

Kapre
August 31st, 2005, 03:43 AM
Yeah.. whenever another country is in a hard time, the US is the first to reach into their pockets, give support, etc etc etc...

I have yet to hear a single word of another country even thinking about helping us in any way.

What happened is really sad. Prayers to all those people that were affected by this hurricane.

I heard in the news here that Ottawa (your brothers here up north) already sent its condolences to the Governor of N.O. and Pres. Bush and offered to send help (water, food, etc.).

K

WildTangent
August 31st, 2005, 03:49 AM

Us canadians always got your back. my thoughts go out to those in N.O. no sense hoping that everything gets back to normal, some things never do. so ill just hope that those who have suffered loss keep their strength and pull through

-WIld

WirelessMike
August 31st, 2005, 04:29 AM
We're providing lots of food and plenty of shelter for a ton of evacuees here. Seems like I was just there yesterday. This is almost outside my realm of reality. I guess we all knew this was bound to happen someday... doesn't really make it any less devastating.

I'm glad we were so proactive regarding this disaster. When all our rooms got booked, we opened our Convention Center, our college and our churches. Houston offered free parking anywhere in their city. Seems everyone has somewhere to go. This country rocks.

The mindset here is lives, not possessions-- even among the evacuees. Our prayers are with Mississippi, too.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 04:36 AM
I watched a Interview with the DA of NO and he was asked about the looting. Two things he said struck me. One was any looting of Grocery Stores was probally about survival. Two that he was more concerned with saving lives than trying to police looters. I wished more politicians had that kind of compassion and backbone.

jerome bettis
August 31st, 2005, 06:43 AM
I watched a Interview with the DA of NO and he was asked about the looting. Two things he said struck me. One was any looting of Grocery Stores was probally about survival. Two that he was more concerned with saving lives than trying to police looters. I wished more politicians had that kind of compassion and backbone.
this is messed up. new orleans is going to be a ghost town - that water isn't going anywhere. city hall really dropped the ball by not keeping those pumps and levees in working condition. plus a main water pipe broke and the entire city doesn't have drinking water.

and this is just day one.

weekend warrior
August 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM
As a lifelong jazz cat, New Orleans holds a special place in my soul. This makes me sad. :cry: A tune and a prayer go out to y'all in Nawlins and thereabouts.

WirelessMike
August 31st, 2005, 09:09 PM
http://slidell.weblogswork.com/

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2005, 09:14 PM
From Malta, one of the smallest islands in the Med, me and my family send condolences to any one who has lost loved ones, and we offer prayers too.
The US is a great country, with great people...

Such a disaster is a tragedy...and knowing that some people actually benefit by looting homes can only make it worse....
Don't lose heart, Poofy, we all back you up!

WirelessMike
August 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM
Texas-- You truly are a lone star. Many have come to aid my home state in this time of need, but actually sending a fleet of busses to move the evacuees from the Superdome to the Astrodome in Houston... Well, what can anyone say to that?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20050831/ts_nm/weather_katrina_dc_74

I guess everything really IS bigger in Texas, including hearts and homes.

kanem
August 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM

Yeah.. Have you actually looked for word of other countries helping? If not, your post is enforcing certain stereotypes about Americans. A quick google search reveals that Canada (as others have mentioned) has already offered medical supplies and the Canadian Red Cross is sending volunteers. And Canada is not the only one helping.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah.. Have you actually looked for word of other countries helping? If not, your post is enforcing certain stereotypes about Americans. A quick google search reveals that Canada (as others have mentioned) has already offered medical supplies and the Canadian Red Cross is sending volunteers. And Canada is not the only one helping.

I know CNN is reporting that the UK and Germany offered assistance. I also know that the majority of countries are too poor to help and i really do not expect them to starve their own children to help ours. The help and assistance of others who can is GREATLY appreciated here.

xequence
August 31st, 2005, 11:35 PM
I saw on CTV that thousands could die and power wouldent be back for 2-3 months... Not so much the power matters as much as the people (except to keep people alive) but thats crazily bad :(

krusbjorn
August 31st, 2005, 11:35 PM

There are countries helping you all the time. Great Britain, Denmark and Spain during the war against Iraq, to name a few. Remember, every missile someone else fires is a missile you dont have to fire. Some of those missiles cost a few hundred million dollars. That's a lot of money, which can be used for, for example, repairs after Katrina.

I would for sure donate money to the US if it wasnt the following 3 reasons:

1) I'm studying. I have about 300 bucks to live of, after i've paid the rent (of which $30 i donate btw, see number 3)

2) The US is the "richest country in the world".

3) All the money i can spare, I donate to totally normal non-taliban non-terrorist civil people in countries your government has blown to ashes.

However, one suffering human, is one suffering human too much, and i wish you all the best of luck in the upcoming chaos.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 11:46 PM
2) The US is the "richest country in the world".

That might be debatable nowdays. China has almost as much wealth as does India. The EU for that matter as a economic whole is about on par with the US. ThAt is the attitude he is talking about right there. Just because the country is rich does not mean all the people are rich. Look at China. Most of the people there certainly are not rich, yet the Chinese government can afford to build the three gorges damn.

People in this country who had very little went out of their way to give money they did not have to the effort to help the tsunami victims last year. I do not have the money, yet I decided to give some money anyways. I can sacrifice by eating a little more top ramen noodles for lunch. You should not punnish the impoverished no matter where they live. What comes around, goes around.

xequence
August 31st, 2005, 11:56 PM
I doubt america is the richest... 1,400,000,000,000$ of debt? Scary! Thats alot of money... Number two in the world, britian is #1 with has 4,710,000,000,000$.

Want no government debt? Move to Liechtenstein!

Still, america will pay for it...

I dont donate money because I am 14 and get 5$ a week allowance. That only goes so far ;)

krusbjorn
August 31st, 2005, 11:56 PM
That might be debatable nowdays. China has almost as much wealth as does India. The EU for that matter as a economic whole is about on par with the US. ThAt is the attitude he is talking about right there. Just because the country is rich does not mean all the people are rich. Look at China. Most of the people there certainly are not rich, yet the Chinese government can afford to build the three gorges damn.

Thats why i put " around it. Richness and wellfare arent the same.

People in this country who had very little went out of their way to give money they did not have to the effort to help the tsunami victims last year. I do not have the money, yet I decided to give some money anyways. I can sacrifice by eating a little more top ramen noodles for lunch. You should not punnish the impoverished no matter where they live. What comes around, goes around.

I agree with most of what you say. The thing is, we all have to choose to where we want to give our money. Since I know your country have the recources needed to rebuild cities, i believe there are people that are in greater need of my money. The millions of parentless children suffering from HIV in africa, for example.

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 12:03 AM
In the subject of debt and aid money...

Its crazy how bob geldof wants the countries to give money to africa. He thinks just because we have a so called balanced budget we can afford it! It only means we arnt going any more in debt, we are still (in Canadas case) 500 billion in debt... I went to live 8 and all, yes the starving children need help, but (most of) the governments dont have the money. The only governments that can afford it are Liechtenstein, Palau, Norway, Tokelau, and Brunei.

I do think that anyone who could leave the cost should have left... There are so many people there...

mstlyevil
September 1st, 2005, 12:05 AM
Thats why i put " around it. Richness and wellfare arent the same.

I agree with most of what you say. The thing is, we all have to choose to where we want to give our money. Since I know your country have the recources needed to rebuild cities, i believe there are people that are in greater need of my money. The millions of parentless children suffering from HIV in africa, for example.

I may have read you wrong then. The rebuilding part is not where we need help, It is the immediate need of the displaced. They need food, medical, housing ect. The government cannot provide all that in any country. This is whre people step in and work together to fill the immediate need.

krusbjorn
September 1st, 2005, 12:07 AM
In the subject of debt and aid money...

Its crazy how bob geldof wants the countries to give money to africa. He thinks just because we have a so called balanced budget we can afford it! It only means we arnt going any more in debt, we are still (in Canadas case) 500 billion in debt... I went to live 8 and all, yes the starving children need help, but (most of) the governments dont have the money. The only governments that can afford it are Liechtenstein, Palau, Norway, Tokelau, and Brunei.

I do think that anyone who could leave the cost should have left... There are so many people there...

nah, it isnt that crazy. it's a simple question of who need sthe money the most. we or them? some people live by the philosophy that money should belong to those who need it the most, not the one that happens to have it in his/her wallet. i believe it's a point of view that deserves respect, even if i dont fully agree with it.

krusbjorn
September 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM
I may have read you wrong then. The rebuilding part is not where we need help, It is the immediate need of the displaced. They need food, medical, housing ect. The government cannot provide all that in any country. This is whre people step in and work together to fill the immediate need.

oh, then i misunderstood you. apologies.

xequence
September 1st, 2005, 12:11 AM
nah, it isnt that crazy. it's a simple question of who need sthe money the most. we or them? some people live by the philosophy that money should belong to those who need it the most, not the one that happens to have it in his/her wallet. i believe it's a point of view that deserves respect, even if i dont fully agree with it.

If the countries didnt have debt then yes, id say all for it. But you just shouldent give away money you dont have...

The governments waste so much money, it could be going to kill the debt, but they dont care. The interest on the debt could probably feed millions of starving children.

krusbjorn
September 1st, 2005, 12:16 AM
If the countries didnt have debt then yes, id say all for it. But you just shouldent give away money you dont have...

The governments waste so much money, it could be going to kill the debt, but they dont care. The interest on the debt could probably feed millions of starving children.

What i mean is, the governments of USA, Sweden and Japan (for example) could say "To hell with these 200 trident missiles, lets donate the money instead". Poof, thats 50 000 000 dollars per missile. You see, the money is there, it's just spent on killing people instead of saving them.

Edit: We pretty much sent this thread off-topic, so better PM me if you want to keep discussing this ;)

poofyhairguy
September 1st, 2005, 12:47 AM
Can we get back on topic people? My home town was just wiped off the face of the earth...who cares who helps as long as they do!