PDA

View Full Version : PCFluxboxOS -- Forget Fluxbuntu.

kagashe
November 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Yesterday I saw a new distribution called PCFluxboxOS added to Distrowatch waiting list. It is a light-weight, PCLinuxOS-based distribution with Fluxbox as the window manager.

I downloaded the iso (only 235MB) called TinyFlux 1.0 Final, burnt CD and running now on Live CD mode (it can also be installed). Before running directly I also tried it in QEMU setting 128 MB RAM for it and it was very good.

I was waiting for Fluxbuntu 7.10 Final but my wait is over.
I am going to recommend this distribution for 128 MB RAM machines.

For those who are interested here is the link of the web site:
http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/

meborc
November 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
i have tried it a few weeks ago... nice... there is only one thing that makes me still use fluxbuntu - that is the package repositories... pcfluxboxos (pclinuxos in general) is lacking in that area... :) i know it is not that important, but you can't make me leave those ubuntu repositories and .deb files

Tux Aubrey
November 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I'll certainly give this a try but, like meborc, I have found the PCLOS repositories a bit lacking. SAM Linux (the XFCE version of PCLOS) is also very good but limited by by its Mandriva/PCLOS heritage.

That's why I prefer antiX (Mepis/Debian) and Fluxbuntu (Ubuntu/Debian) for leaner installs - although DSL and Zenwalk with fluxbox also fly on lower spec machines. I find the setup and default menus on antiX to be the most new user-friendly.

adamorjames
November 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Seems pretty nice. I'd probably stick with Fluxbuntu because I'm an Ubuntu fan but I think PCFluxboxOS is pretty nice.

Man... when will Fluxbuntu come out, It's killing me. :lolflag:

n3tfury
November 14th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Yesterday I saw a new distribution called PCFluxboxOS added to Distrowatch waiting list. It is a light-weight, PCLinuxOS-based distribution with Fluxbox as the window manager.

I downloaded the iso (only 235MB) called TinyFlux 1.0 Final, burnt CD and running now on Live CD mode (it can also be installed). Before running directly I also tried it in QEMU setting 128 MB RAM for it and it was very good.

I was waiting for Fluxbuntu 7.10 Final but my wait is over.
I am going to recommend this distribution for 128 MB RAM machines.

For those who are interested here is the link of the web site:
http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/

so you're saying to forget fluxbuntu because YOU got tired of waiting for the final? how convincing.

K.Mandla
November 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM
One could always build one's own version of Fluxbuntu 7.10 final, add the Fluxbuntu wallpaper and theme, and call it Fluxbuntu. I'm sure no one would complain. ... :-k

Kowalski_GT-R
November 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
so you're saying to forget fluxbuntu because YOU got tired of waiting for the final? how convincing.

a bit on the harsh side, don't you think?what's with this comment? :roll:

Great post kagashe, Fluxbuntu support leaves much to be desired, we can never have enough devs, do we? :)

kagashe
November 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
One could always build one's own version of Fluxbuntu 7.10 final, add the Fluxbuntu wallpaper and theme, and call it Fluxbuntu. I'm sure no one would complain. ... :-kFrankly I don't use these light distributions myself but recommend to others (after testing) who have old PCs and not willing to add RAM. But I find serious problem with the RC iso (it is booting on some CD drives but not on many others), reading this I am scared to download RC to test (it may fail on my CD drive as well). I hope this bug will be removed in Final but the wait is getting so-oooo long, therefore I am posting this just to tease you.

kagashe

SomeGuyDude
November 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM

That's not how I read it at all. Rather, it seems he was waiting for Fluxbuntu eagerly, but then found something that was so good he didn't feel the need to wait for FB.

n3tfury
November 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
That's not how I read it at all. Rather, it seems he was waiting for Fluxbuntu eagerly, but then found something that was so good he didn't feel the need to wait for FB.

that's what i got out of the title. kthx.

Kingsley
November 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
i have tried it a few weeks ago... nice... there is only one thing that makes me still use fluxbuntu - that is the package repositories... pcfluxboxos (pclinuxos in general) is lacking in that area... :) i know it is not that important, but you can't make me leave those ubuntu repositories and .deb files
Package management is extremely important. I don't blame you for preferring Ubuntu because of that.

chris4585
January 13th, 2008, 12:23 AM

exactly as i saw it, and fluxbuntu is alright and all, but i'd rather go with mint fluxbox even though it does take up more ram, i have the ram though

willie_wang
January 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Actually...

I tried fluxbuntu. It still has many bugs - the bugginess of the usb drive mounting, the sloppiness of the menus and the bundled software leaves much to be desired.

I was a die hard ubuntu derivative distro fanatic until I came across tinyflux :)

i have been using tinyflux on my 9 year old ibm thinkpad 600e for about a month now and i even installed it on my main machine which is pretty fast as it is, but runs amazingly with tinyflux :) only complaint is with a slight intermittent wireless connection bug. seems as though the bundled wireless options in the control centre isn't communicating with the network manager properly. minor complaint... ooh, i also had to upgrade the kernel because tinyflux uses an older kernel, but this can be done from the repositories too :D no need to fiddle about with compiling your own kernel!

the software in the pclinuxos repositories is actually MORE up to date than the ubuntu ones too! pidgin 2.3.1, the latest rhythmbox, gimp, inkscape, deluge (IT EVEN HAS SKYPE IN IT'S REPOS - something which i've never understood why ubuntu doesn't support *shrug*)...

so anyway, here's kudos to tinyflux, at least till a stable version of fluxbuntu comes out!

(my girlfriend is laughing at how geeky this post is :( ... pffft. what does she know.)

Ripfox
January 22nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
How do you reconfigure the xserver in pclinuxos?? it has me stuck at 800x600 :mad:

wolfen69
January 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
ive been telling people about tinyflux(pcfluxboxos) for a while now. it's an awesome fluxbox distro. worth a try if you havnt yet. http://pcfluxboxos.wikidot.com/tinyflux

tbroderick
January 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
How do you reconfigure the xserver in pclinuxos?? it has me stuck at 800x600 :mad:

Open up PCLinuxOS Control Center. Go to Hardware tab. Click on "Change the desktop screen resolution".

Bungo Pony
January 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
PCFluxboxOS is fantastic, and outdoes Fluxbuntu in one area: it ran on EVERY machine I put the Live CD into.

Fluxbuntu only ran on my Ubuntu machine, and that's pretty pointless for me.

In TinyMe, I was very happy with the way Fluxbox was implemented, the ease of the install, and how nicely it responds. I highly recommend it for a 128M RAM PC.

Sunflower1970
January 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Tried PCFluxboxOS over the weekend on my old PII. Wow! It's great! :) I love that it sets up your wireless right at the start of the liveCD which made the whole experience wonderful! I love the PCLinuxOS Control Center, too. Very helpful! I went ahead and installed Opera Beta and Firefox3beta3 and noticed that both ran a bit slower than when I had Xubuntu on it. Very strange. Otherwise the entire system is faster.

I also tried TinyMe. I loved it, but had to remove it because of Synaptic. For whatever reason, synaptic would freeze the system up, causing a hard reboot each time. On PCFluxboxOS and Xubuntu synaptic ran just fine. (Slow, but fine)

anticapitalista
January 24th, 2008, 01:28 AM
PCFluxboxOS is fantastic, and outdoes Fluxbuntu in one area: it ran on EVERY machine I put the Live CD into.

Fluxbuntu only ran on my Ubuntu machine, and that's pretty pointless for me.

In TinyMe, I was very happy with the way Fluxbox was implemented, the ease of the install, and how nicely it responds. I highly recommend it for a 128M RAM PC.

Just to point out that TinyMe uses openbox and not fluxbox.
Anyhow, boh TinyMe and PCFluxboxOS are excellent distros, as is my antiX.

DJiNN
January 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I'll second anticapitalista on the "Tinyme" test 7 release.... it's just amazing, and it's so fast it's incredible. It's most certainly on a par with antiX for sure (Which absolutely ROCKS!)

If you like lightweight but powerful and configurable, give TinyMe &/or antiX a go..... you won't be disappointed. :)

Bungo Pony
January 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I also tried TinyMe. I loved it, but had to remove it because of Synaptic. For whatever reason, synaptic would freeze the system up, causing a hard reboot each time.

Are you sure it wasn't just taking a long time? When I installed Opera, it took about 10 minutes or so to install it. After that, it ran perfectly fine. Good things come to those who wait :)

Just to point out that TinyMe uses openbox and not fluxbox.

Really? It sure works like fluxbox but I can't complain! :)

Sunflower1970
January 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Are you sure it wasn't just taking a long time? When I installed Opera, it took about 10 minutes or so to install it. After that, it ran perfectly fine. Good things come to those who wait :)

No, something was weird with Synaptic when I would run it. My first thought it was just taking time with the repos updating so I let it go...It took 10-15 minutes to update them, and all other programs ran at/or below a snail's pace. When I would install anything, though it was pretty quick. Then when it was done installing, another 10-15 minutes of waiting, all programs again at a very slow to almost no speed. This was happening every. Single. Time. I ran it. It was beginning to take longer and longer to finish its update to get a usable computer. One of the last times I let it run I let it go for 25 minutes before screaming out of frustration and just did a hard reboot instead. Flux works 10x better. Synaptic works about as fast as Xubuntu's did...slow but very manageable, and I'm able to use all my other programs without any slowdown.

I am going to try Tiny again later on and see if maybe it was just a bad install or something.

urukrama
January 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Sunflower1970, I had something similar the first time I installed TineMe. Synaptic was unusable because of it. On my second install (on the same machine, with the same CD) I didn't run in those problems.

I haven't tried PCFluxboxOS, but if it is like TinyMe I might try it out. Those PCLinuxOS people are doing some good things.