PDA

View Full Version : Why was Gutsy 7.10 such a Bad Release

sml
November 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I have read and heard many negative comments and reviews about gutsy 7.10. My own experience was terribly frustrating with basic sound problems with a common intel notebook, in addition to other basic problems. I was very disappointed but now I am happy to be back with 7.04. How did Gutsy go so wrong?

bluefightingcat
November 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Maybe it was just on your computer. I have gutsy working perfectly including Compiz Fusion. I think its great.

BFC

DagMan
November 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Seems that the 6 month release cycle might have been a huge burden this time around. The next release I think is supposed to be another long term support so one would think that there'd be more going into addressing bugs and writhing things to be more compatible on a wider range of systems, and less into upstream development. I would hope so if it was going to be my main desktop OS anyway.

Sef
November 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Moved to Community Cafe due to no asking for help.

I've had no problems with Gutsy at all. It works better than Fiesty. If you are having some problems, then post them in the appropriate forum.

n3tfury
November 13th, 2007, 12:17 PM
sigh

FG123
November 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I've had no problems at all with Gutsy. Hell it's been the best distro for 64-bit I've seen.

BWF89
November 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Just hope they get that Dolphin bookmarks bug fixed in the next release.

PmDematagoda
November 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I've had no problems at all with Gutsy. Hell it's been the best distro for 64-bit I've seen.

Yeah, for any people who fear 64 bit simply because installing the necessary apps were difficult, do not worry, Ubuntu 7.10 is here and it is better than ever, especially for 64 bit users:).

Paul820
November 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Gutsy is fine, just a few have had problems. Why did you need to upgrade to gutsy if your feisty was working for you?

thenailedone
November 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
...Why was Vista such a bad release...

Oh yes, because it didn't work 100% for every body from the start... but then again... which OS has?

daynah
November 13th, 2007, 12:46 PM
You've "heard such bad stuff because this is a support forum. People post their complaints here. Everytime an upgrade works, the persome isn't going to come here and make a new thread saying "Gutsy worked!! What do I do now?!?!"

You only hear the bad stuff here. Gutsy worked great. I give it a B, an average. It improved Ubuntu as much as I expect a distro to. As opposed to Feisty that got an A, for exceeding all expectations.

gtrtx
November 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Guess I'll join in and give this dead horse a couple lashings too:-?

Thus far I've installed Gutsy on a total of 3 computers. All three have gone without a hitch. All three computers where quite different in architecture. I'll be installing it again on another computer and don't expect any problems.

I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper, and Linux (mainly Slackware) since 97. So far, Gutsy has been the most rewarding Linux experience I've had. I actually experienced more difficulty with Feisty(nothing too bad).

So, as mentioned by many others, Gutsy isn't the bad release that a few are making it out to be. Also mentioned by others, this being a support forum it's only logical you are going to read about the issues that occur. Many users (such as myself) rarely post as things seem to "just work".:guitar:

ericesque
November 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
*dime in the bucket

Most stable release yet for both my desktop and laptop. I don't know if I'll bother upgrading to the LTS unless I hear brilliant things...which the devs seem to always pull off :KS

pasokon
November 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
The only bugs I have had were graphic related issues with my ATI card and Compiz etc.
Open Office has been a bit buggy from time to time but the Gutsy core seems pretty solid.

Someone mentioned that if you have problems with Gutsy you ought to post them in the appropriate forum but I don't see why it isn't of interest to this thread here.

What kinds of problems make people want to label Gutsy as just plain 'bad?'

:confused:

PartisanEntity
November 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I have read and heard many negative comments and reviews about gutsy 7.10. My own experience was terribly frustrating with basic sound problems with a common intel notebook, in addition to other basic problems. I was very disappointed but now I am happy to be back with 7.04. How did Gutsy go so wrong?

Gutsy is an even better experience for me than Feisty, Compiz-Fusion runs smoothly, network-manager doesn't annoyingly inform me about every single connection and disconnection plus it doesn't ask for the key-ring password anymore and for the first time 'suspend' works on my laptop, I am over joyed.

Why was Gutsy such a great release?

Get my point? :)

mahousaru
November 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Can't say why it was such a bad release as I've got it running on 3 different machines and installed it on 4 other people's pcs, one which was done via the phone 9000 miles away until she got her pidgin up and running. No real problems apart from the nasty usplash killing some gpus during the install progress.

I much prefer ubuntu over the other distro's i've tried, and asking a IT illiterate person to install XP over the phone is near impossible. Whilst Ubuntu was just backup data, pop in cd, reboot PC, (hurah!!! it already boots to cd rom first, and no issues with usplash), have a play with it, can you connect to your wireless etc etc. If happy double click on that install icon and answer a few simple questions. 40 ish minutes later she is happily on pidgin for the first time ever. I did the same thing about 1.5 years ago with the same person with XP home and it took over 8 hours of hair pulling and countless confused questions. Before hand she was "I don't need to remember all these steps do I?" and "gosh that is why you nerds get paid so much", this time around it was "why didn't you recommend this last time? it was so easy"....

eldragon
November 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM
actually, it was such a bad release because of the following:

The live cd doesnt work 100% of the time. i dont trust it will boot correctly into the desktop in every computer.
ive tried 5 different, computers, and they all need different options, or they would not boot at all. thats just not acceptable. how a mi supposed to demo the thing to my friends?

then, everything works great. compiz shouldnt have been enabled by default yet.....but that was a "political move", i can understand it.

enough rant. still much better than vista :D

Tristam Green
November 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I haven't had any complaints with Gutsy at all. I've been tinkering since Hoary, and each time I get a new version, I become more and more pleased.

Wireless, in my eyes, has never been easier til Gutsy, and that's been the single thing holding me back from running it on a laptop 100%. Since installing Gutsy on my Dell 1501, I haven't switched to Vista at all.

Keep on rockin' :guitar:

podunk
November 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
A basic install is close to what - 2 gigs? Until the advent of the internet the US Libray of Congress - all of it for 200 years could be digitized and stored in 2 gigs. :)

To expect a flawless release every 6 months is unrealistic.

To see a release every 6 months that works for the vast majority of users is amazing and a testimony to the innovative power of open source.

4 or 5 months is just enough time to fix all the little bugs (or find work arounds) for the minority a release didn't work for.

What I do wish though is that there be a more complete explanation on the Ubuntu and Kubuntu home pages pointing out the difference between stable long term releases and the 6 month cycle releases. Maybe point newcomers to the long term releases where all the issues have been solved and avoid the disappointment factor.

Might be a nice idea to create a subform for absolute beginners devoted strictly to newcomers and Dapper.

There. The horse is surely dead now!:lolflag:

PriceChild
November 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm closing this... we mostly all know the real story, as has been expressed above. Ubuntu is far from bug free but Gutsy is definitely far from the worst release of an OS ever.

If you think there's a bug somewhere then please just report it at least on launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug - its the least you could do.