PDA

View Full Version : Priceless Video

Rupertronco
November 13th, 2007, 09:35 AM
This may have been on here before, but I just came across it and laughed hysterically. It's a showcase on vista.

http://blip.tv./file/340692

GrahamOtte
December 13th, 2007, 06:57 AM
vista may suck but its still tecnicaly an operating system:lolflag:

adamklempner
December 13th, 2007, 07:13 AM
LOL awesome, how did this fall through the cracks 4 weeks ago? \\:D/

Rupertronco
December 17th, 2007, 01:16 AM
My favorite part was the sinkhole of support and the windows messenger alerts that you can't dislodge with an exoset missle.

Nekiruhs
December 17th, 2007, 02:56 AM
W00T windows messenger + Exorcet Missle!
:guitar:

Tundro Walker
December 17th, 2007, 12:29 PM
So it appears, taking the hint from Vista, that "Windows 7 (http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071019/eric-talk-demo-windows-7-minwin/)", the version they're working on to replace Vista, is all about removing the bloat and being mini. I guess what they're trying to do is...

1) strip down the kernal to make it more optimized
2) add more compatibility so older software will work once again (IE: win95, DOS, etc stuff)

Now, this gets me thinking...

Back when Howard Stern left FM radio for Satellite, they brought in David Lee Roth, and it was a dismal failure compared to Howard. But, then, they ditched David and brought in somebody pretty good. This leads us to the premise that folks are only thinking about the last success/failure.

This might be pretty far out on the limb, but I wonder if Microsoft knew things were just too disorganized and red-taped when doing Vista, and that XP might be a hard pony to follow. So, they just kit-bashed what they had together, knowing it would aggravate folks by being such a resource hog, etc, etc. This would lower Microsoft Windows OS market expectations, so they could then come in with something insanely cool to replace Vista ... Windows 7 ... and absolutely floor their customers with how cool it is. When, in actuality, it might not be THAT cool, it's just that it's better than Vista, but compared to XP, it's probably an equivalent given modern innovations. (IE: Windows 7 would be the Vista everyone was hoping Vista would be ... basically XP reworked to take advantage of modern technology, which it seems like Vista tries to do, but does so in a semi-bloaty fashion).

Who knows...Microsoft has the time and money on their side. They can afford to toss out a dog now and then if it'll lower their market expectations so they can "blow away" customers with some new "come-back" product, which is really just a medicore product, but good compared to the dog they tossed out before.

It kind of reminds me of pro-wrestling, where some guy is a jerk one night to some other guy, then they're buddies the next night, and the whole time, the audience is treated like idiots. I mean, if someone hit me with a chair one night, I probably would never be chummy with them ever again. But, in pro-wrestling, they change who's friends and enemies so often with little regard to audience memory...and folks go along with it. Crazy...

bobbocanfly
December 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM
@Tundro's Video:

WinMin = 40mb kernel. 10mb Linux Kernels FTW
The new server core lets you install a core, then install the corrent software stack on top of it, rather like Ubuntu Server Edition.

@Original Video:

Hilarious and most of it is probably true :P