PDA

View Full Version : Question about Nvidia Drivers?

william_nbg
November 13th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I just wanted to get a few opinions. I am an occasional gamer (Linux ports only), and am not an absolute beginner on Linux systems - pure Linux for over 3 years now. But I'm no Alberto Milone when it comes to Nvidia drivers.

So my question is: Are there any great advantages using the newest drivers from Nvidia rather than the ones in the repos? Because from what I understand, if I use the newest ones, I'll lose my X everytime there's a Kernel update.

samjh
November 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Use the method recommended by each distro. So for Ubuntu, you should stick to the ones in the repo. They are the most reliable: tested and packaged specifically for the Ubuntu system.

It's only when the recommended method doesn't work, that you should investigate the binary installer from NVidia.

Graphics driver updates are usually designed to fix bugs, not introduce new features. Optimisations are few and far between. Even when features are added, they tend to only apply to particular games or platforms, which more often than not, will not apply to your situation. So if the driver in the repo works, use that instead of trying to get the latest one from NVidia.

FG123
November 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I cannot stress enough how damn nice it is to use a distro where the NVIDIA drivers update along with the kernel as they get updated through the repos. I've had too many bad experiences trying manual installs of the drivers and X complaining after a kernal upgrade that they don't work, they I try something else and I get a version mismatch and... uhg, I hate that crap.

Stick with the repos unless you have a really specific need to go manual, and you know what you're doing.

william_nbg
November 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I just picked up a copy of the new ETQW, and wasn't sure if there was a real performance difference regarding the drivers.

Though, the game seems to be working fine with the resolution turned downed to 800x600 on my GF6600. I am thinking about upgrading the card.

samjh
November 13th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback. :)

I just picked up a copy of the new ETQW, and wasn't sure if there was a real performance difference regarding the drivers.

Though, the game seems to be working fine with the resolution turned downed to 800x600 on my GF6600. I am thinking about upgrading the card.

I play ETQW on Ubuntu using the repo drivers. Compared to the performance on Windows XP with the latest driver, I can comfortably say that there is no perceptible difference in performance.

firefoxdl
November 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
:)I am thinking about upgrading the card.