PDA

View Full Version : Linux sound programming tutorial

j_g
November 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I've been struggling with the poor documentation of ALSA, so I decided to start writing a much needed tutorial on Linux sound (MIDI and digital audio recording/playback).

The tutorial is divided into numerous sections. So far, only the "Play MIDI using ALSA rawmidi" section is done so far. But you folks can get a look at the beginnings of this tutorial at:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/linuxapi.htm

Kadrus
November 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Wow..that's a pretty long and nice tut..nicely done..

j_g
November 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM
It's going to get a lot longer. I'm anal-retentive when it comes to documentation, and not docs filled with techno-babble, but rather plain english.

Btw, if anyone is interested in MIDI, you may want to visit my site at:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt

In particular, the technical docs section contains detailed info upon all sorts of MIDI and audio standards, from the complete MIDI specification, to MIDI/WAVE/AIFF file formats, etc.

And if you don't know anything about MIDI, the tutorials section features some introductory articles that even a non-musician, non-programmer can use to easily learn what MIDI is and does, what sequencers (such as RoseGarden) are, etc.

Kadrus
November 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
It's going to get a lot longer. I'm anal-retentive when it comes to documentation, and not docs filled with techno-babble, but rather plain english.

Btw, if anyone is interested in MIDI, you may want to visit my site at:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt

In particular, the technical docs section contains detailed info upon all sorts of MIDI and audio standards, from the complete MIDI specification, to MIDI/WAVE/AIFF file formats, etc.

And if you don't know anything about MIDI, the tutorials section features some introductory articles that even a non-musician, non-programmer can use to easily learn what MIDI is and does, what sequencers (such as RoseGarden) are, etc.

The site is really useful and informative but I think you should improve the design just a bit..because there is too much text!

maruchan
November 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
The site is really useful and informative but I think you should improve the design just a bit..because there is too much text!

Or not enough hierarchy. It'd be easier to skim for relevance if there were more sub-headers and sub-sub headers. :) Great job on the site.

j_g
November 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I do need to update the site. Some of the information about sound hardware is dated, as is the Win9X stuff. So, I'll probably excise that. But I think that the hierarchy is adequate. I hate having to click through a half dozen web pages to get to what I need.

And the site absolutely does not use ActiveX, java, php, flash, or any other "active elements" at all. I just hate web pages that use that useless crap. Give me something to read, and some organized links, and I'm happy.

The tutorial articles have some graphics. The tech stuff is pretty much all text. I figure that technical people are like me and want the meat and potatoes rather than pictures (that frankly, usually just seem confusing to me, compared to a plain-speak description of how something works. I usually squint at the picture and say "What the hell is that? And what are all these arrows for? And why is there this squiggly symbol thing over here?...". I never know what the picture is showing until I read the text).

Jessard
July 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Thank you, j_g!! I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I've been struggling with ALSA programming for days without finding good documentation. I think this will help a lot!

kknd
July 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
You can try some higher level libraries, suhch as gstreamer and xine!