PDA

View Full Version : Heres what I got, What should I do?

Turboaaa2001
November 13th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Heres where I am:

I have 5 computers, and I don't know what I should do with 4 of them. One is my gaming rig with all the bells and whistles (and XP) while the others just sit there.

My ultimate goal is to create a bewoulf cluster, but since I'm filing bankruptcy I have no money for such a project. So I need help with ideas for a smaller and cheaper project of some kind.

I would like this project to include a proxy server and the Samba server I have. I would also like a machine to be dedicated to running
Hamachi.

Thanks for the input, If you have any ideas at all even excluding the above let me know.

Here are my systems except the gaming rig:

AMD Sempron
256MB DDR-333
20GB - Ubuntu
300GB - Network Storage
300GB - Network Storage

Celeron D
256MB DDR-333
20GB

Compaq 4U Rack Server
2x 900MHZ Xeon
512MB PC-133
12GB - Windows 2000

PII 700MHZ
256MB PC-100
6GB

-grubby
November 13th, 2007, 05:49 AM
if you're filing for bankruptcy than why not sell them? Oh if you're making servers that's another story. or you could donate them to your local school

fuscia
November 13th, 2007, 05:50 AM
if you're filing for bankruptcy, you might want to hide these machines at your mom's.

Turboaaa2001
November 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM
:D

I have my own business building, selling, repairing computers. As far as the courts are concerned these machines are on the business side of things along with my car (a cheap Toyota).

The business is doing well, it's just that my wife (21) and I (20) had to go and learn the hard way about spending more than we had. Thankfully we aren't too proud to admit we messed up and learn from this.

Back to the computers. I use them all the time as my hobby, I'm just looking for good projects to work on.

TeaSwigger
November 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Network 'em & set three of 'em to run Folding@Home.

Send the 4th to me. :D

Okay you probably wanted a lot more interesting suggestions. Never had unused units so I'm afraid I've no idea what one can do. Interesting thought actually...

On a side track, I empathize with your $ situ. I hope things look up financially with you & the Mrs after this settles. Luck :)

K.Mandla
November 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
since I'm filing bankruptcy I have no money for such a project.
Quite clearly, if you're filing for bankruptcy, you should sell them part by part on ebay so you don't end up in the poorhouse.

professor fate
November 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Trick one out for your lawyer in lue of payment. :)

Turboaaa2001
November 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Network 'em & set three of 'em to run Folding@Home.

Actually all my systems run BOINC in the background, but great suggestion.

EDIT:

As far as selling the systems, theres no point. At most I could cover a years worth of payments, then I'm left with nothing for a hobby to take the stress off.

hkgonra
November 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Realistically the best he would get out of selling all them together anyway would be about $300 total so what is the point.

andhar
November 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
you can use one of them as a torrentflux box with ftp capability , another to try out new OSs to learn.

just a thought, as for filing bankcruptcy, I did that when I was about your age I am fully recovered (did the whole credit card thing while I was in college) sux but you will be ok.

tbroderick
November 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Heres where I am:

I have 5 computers, and I don't know what I should do with 4 of them. One is my gaming rig with all the bells and whistles (and XP) while the others just sit there.

Donate or recycle them. No need for 5 computers. Total waste of energy.

TeaSwigger
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Donate or recycle them. No need for 5 computers. Total waste of energy.

Hey - I suggested a means of donation first! ;)

aimran
November 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Actually all my systems run BOINC in the background, but great suggestion.

EDIT:

As far as selling the systems, theres no point. At most I could cover a years worth of payments, then I'm left with nothing for a hobby to take the stress off.

How many years worth of payment are you behind? IMO getting one year off your payments > hobby.

Turboaaa2001
November 15th, 2007, 05:29 AM
How many years worth of payment are you behind? IMO getting one year off your payments > hobby.

Actually I'm not behind at all. My monthly payments are deducted out of my pay check so I don't have to worry about it.

Also, the worth of the 4 systems is around the $300 - $500 mark (If I'm lucky). I was also including the current retail price of my gaming rig.

I went on NewEgg.com and priced my system with current prices. It's in the $1,500 range right now. Actually, this system is some of my debt.:lolflag:

To those who have spoken to me privately and in the thread thanks for the support. I appreciate it allot!!!!

inversekinetix
November 15th, 2007, 06:57 AM
pay your debts of as soon as possible by any means possible. dont waste the best years of your life being broke/just getting by. get 2 or jobs each, work your bottoms off and be clear. You'll feel better mentally and physically, and having done such a big thing everything from then on will seem easy.

If you want to use your computers as a hobby, take em all apart, rebuild them in different configs, try loads of OSs, make yourself a nice Maximus system and sell that. Theres loads you can do.