PDA

View Full Version : Roger, the Zune has landed.

Aiello
November 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Well, I didn't know where to put this so I may as well stick it here. As much as any of you guys here hate Microsoft, there is no dining it: The Zune 80 is awesome. 3.2-inch scratch proof screen, 80gb, increased battery life, radio, full podcast support, thinner and lighter, sweet new interface, excellent audio, and wifi that doesn't suck(as much). I'm just saying, but this thing is sweet! Now... only if the Zune software worked for Linux:(

Somenoob
November 13th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Still no DRM?
Still no useless wi-fi capabilities? like only being able to connect to other Zunes to share songs that last for 3 days or 20 time play limit?

Depressed Man
November 13th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Does the wifi still only work with a computer or other Zunes?

Turboaaa2001
November 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM
This is interesting. I find that the Zune did not fare well because people were put-off by the Micro$oft name and the few inherent flaws (mainly the fact that MS wanted to make the Zune a complement to the PC and Xbox)

The interesting part of it is that I find most people who own a Zune also enjoy the freedom of a Linux based OS. Right now on NewEgg.com you can get a 1st gen brown Zune for $90 USD, and one of the user ratings even mention poor Linux compatibility.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604004

professor fate
November 13th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Well, I didn't know where to put this so I may as well stick it here. As much as any of you guys here hate Microsoft, there is no dining it: The Zune 80 is awesome. 3.2-inch scratch proof screen, 80gb, increased battery life, radio, full podcast support, thinner and lighter, sweet new interface, excellent audio, and wifi that doesn't suck(as much). I'm just saying, but this thing is sweet! Now... only if the Zune software worked for Linux:(

Any reports of it working with Wine?

boast
November 13th, 2007, 05:43 AM
This is interesting. I find that the Zune did not fare well because people were put-off by the Micro$oft name and the few inherent flaws (mainly the fact that MS wanted to make the Zune a complement to the PC and Xbox)

The interesting part of it is that I find most people who own a Zune also enjoy the freedom of a Linux based OS. Right now on NewEgg.com you can get a 1st gen brown Zune for $90 USD, and one of the user ratings even mention poor Linux compatibility.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604004

not just brown, http://www.woot.com/ white and black too

jrusso2
November 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Why would anyone want a Zune when there are better more open players around?

igknighted
November 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Why would anyone want a Zune when there are better more open players around?

30gb hard drive, a really slick UI, a great 3" screen all for $99? How can you go wrong? What other player gives you that much for the price?

Frak
November 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I do have a Zune 80, love it. It's great for every now and then, but it really doesn't rank up with my iPod Touch.

FG123
November 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
It does sound like the new Zune is a heck of a lot better than the original, I'll give Microsoft credit here. If it's a good product I wouldn't really care if it's open source or not.

Depressed Man
November 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I do have a Zune 80, love it. It's great for every now and then, but it really doesn't rank up with my iPod Touch.

I'm still trying to decide between a Nokia n800 and an iPod touch. I love what the nokia n800 can do. But I'm not sure how it'd fail as a music player. And the iPod touch doesn't do as much web stuff as the n800...

ericesque
November 13th, 2007, 07:11 AM
My buddy got the 1st gen zune a week or two ago. I had a chance to play with it for a bit. I must say, I actually enjoy the (larger) size compared to my 5th gen iPod. I also have to give MS kudos for allowing 1st gen zunes to update to the new wifi capabilities that are standard with the 2nd gen. If only Apple would play ball.

Given the chance, I'd trade my video iPod for either the new or old zune.

wolfen69
November 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'll take a PSP over an ipod or zune anyday.

Aiello
November 13th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Wow, and I thought this would turn into a Zune bashing thread! Now, someone said something about Zune to Linux compatibility...?

Dave in Tempe
November 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
The new Zune does look pretty impressive. It seems that when Microsoft is actually in legitimate market competition they actually can make good products. Unfortunately they rarely do this.

The lack of ogg and flac codecs makes getting one a non-starter for me though. I have no desire to re-encode half of my 60 gig music collection. I can't understand why almost no players include ogg or flac support. Especially with flac, which is superior to other lossless codec in every conceivable way.

maka
November 14th, 2007, 07:19 AM
okay guys. I believe the zune can be worked with Linux through. I've read reports of people being successful with vmware but only having 1.1 USB.

Since there is WIFI Syncing now,the zune syncs from the router so it doesn't use any USB connections. The only problem is, you have to set up the computer by connecting it via USB the first time so that it knows where it is syncing from. But I have been unable to get usb 1.1 nor 2.0 working under virtualbox. Anyone else want to give it a try?

tubasoldier
November 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
okay guys. I believe the zune can be worked with Linux through. I've read reports of people being successful with vmware but only having 1.1 USB.

Since there is WIFI Syncing now,the zune syncs from the router so it doesn't use any USB connections. The only problem is, you have to set up the computer by connecting it via USB the first time so that it knows where it is syncing from. But I have been unable to get usb 1.1 nor 2.0 working under virtualbox. Anyone else want to give it a try?

I guess I can try. Just ship it to me and I'll let you know what I come up with.

Oen386
November 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I guess I can try. Just ship it to me and I'll let you know what I come up with.

I use VMWare. As stated it only uses USB 1.1, I want to get it synced to the WiFi, I heard you have to use a Bridged Connection with VMWare for it work properly.

I will give it a shot later. USB works, but to be honest I am disappointed at the slow conversion speeds (since VMWare is running under Linux).

Anyone know a format I can convert to in Linux, that the Zune software will not have to convert again? That is what takes most of the time, the converting.

Also if Microsoft reads this... why do I have to plug in my Zune for it to start to convert video files? Just a personal gripe, but I should be able to convert files before syncing, I shouldn't have to sync to get them converted. I would like my Zune plugged to my PC for as little amount of time as possible.

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I use VMWare. As stated it only uses USB 1.1, I want to get it synced to the WiFi, I heard you have to use a Bridged Connection with VMWare for it work properly.

I will give it a shot later. USB works, but to be honest I am disappointed at the slow conversion speeds (since VMWare is running under Linux).

Anyone know a format I can convert to in Linux, that the Zune software will not have to convert again? That is what takes most of the time, the converting.

Also if Microsoft reads this... why do I have to plug in my Zune for it to start to convert video files? Just a personal gripe, but I should be able to convert files before syncing, I shouldn't have to sync to get them converted. I would like my Zune plugged to my PC for as little amount of time as possible.
If you convert on the Zune itself, then it makes it much more difficult to reverse engineer the conversion software.

ntowakbh
November 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM
*Glances at 30GB Zune on desk* Darn, wish I had waited. Since I have a dual boot system, and i don't constantly update my songs, the software issue is no problem.

bobbocanfly
November 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM
The new Zune does look pretty impressive. It seems that when Microsoft is actually in legitimate market competition they actually can make good products. Unfortunately they rarely do this.

The lack of ogg and flac codecs makes getting one a non-starter for me though. I have no desire to re-encode half of my 60 gig music collection. I can't understand why almost no players include ogg or flac support. Especially with flac, which is superior to other lossless codec in every conceivable way.

Unfortunately most of the Internet users that download music do it through Limewire or some other dodgy method where 96/128kbps MP3s with Broken ID3 tags are about as good as you will ever get. Or if they rip it from their CD collection, they will probably do it in the bundled WMP11 which defaults to WMA.

Not enough people use Flac or Ogg for it to be commercially viable for the big companies to research and implement. This is why we need projects like Rockbox.

Anyway, back to the Zunes...

Nekiruhs
November 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm loving mine Zune30. I updated the firmware about 3 minutes after it was made publicly availible (About 6:00 AM EST). I woke up early to do it. And I have gotten my USB connected Zune to sync w/ VMWare, but not with VirtualBox ( I wanted the shared folders.). But since I dual-boot its no big problem anyway. The podcast support is just what I have been waiting for in my Zune since release. Now if only they added a clock...

EDIT: By the way, WiFi sync rocks, just got it set up in windows!