PDA

View Full Version : lesson learned:

jack handy
November 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM
never take advice given here until it has been confirmed by someone else..

anyone know how to make folders in my Home folder so that they show up on my Places menu again?

-grubby
November 13th, 2007, 12:46 AM
no he was just a troll. remember to NEVER to enter a command starting with "rm" unless you know for sure

p_quarles
November 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Sad to say, but I think you deleted your home folder. At least, if you followed that one individual's advice. Yeah, I know, that's not good.

The vast majority of people around here don't pull stuff like that. One tip that might be useful: always check out commands you aren't familiar with by typing:

man command
That brings up the manual page for the command, which will give you a basic sense of what it does.

yatt
November 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM
never take advice given here until it has been confirmed by someone else..

anyone know how to make folders in my Home folder so that they show up on my Places menu again?

1. Open up nautilus.
2. Drag the folder into the places side bar.
3. ???
4. Profit.

jack handy
November 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM
1. Open up nautilus.
2. Drag the folder into the places side bar.
3. ???
4. Profit.
doesnt seem to want to drop into the menu.. whatever i drag in that direction drops as a shortcut on the panel :(

JetskiDude911
November 13th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I hate to say it, but it may be easier for you to just make a new user. Google is also an excellent resource if you want to look up exactly what a command does.

jack handy
November 13th, 2007, 01:08 AM
alright, i got it by removing the menus from the panel and adding it again.

thank you all for the advice and help. this experience was definitely a wake-up call to learn what commands acually do. i mean, its not that i dont know what "rm" does, i just didnt figure that someone would do that to me, so i kinda just copied and pasted the command.

JetskiDude911
November 13th, 2007, 01:10 AM
It's understandable. I wouldn't really expect someone to do that here, but it does happen.

xyphur
November 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM
That being said, I certainly hope someone utilized the "report" feature for this individual?

FG123
November 13th, 2007, 01:48 AM
That being said, I certainly hope someone utilized the "report" feature for this individual?
/raises hand

Managed to get him banned, but it was too late.

-grubby
November 13th, 2007, 01:56 AM

I did

Nano Geek
November 13th, 2007, 02:35 AM
no he was just a troll. remember to NEVER to enter a command starting with "rm" unless you know for sureWhat did the troll tell him to do?

yabbadabbadont
November 13th, 2007, 02:40 AM
What did the troll tell him to do?

Nobody can tell you for fear of being banned... :twisted:

From the previous posts, it obviously had something to do with a terminal window and "rm -rf ..." ;)