PDA

View Full Version : anyone else still torn on upgrading to gutsy?

svtfmook
November 12th, 2007, 03:09 PM
i'm still running feisty. i've downloaded gutsy, but haven't switched yet. i'm still seeing a lot of "i can't get it to work right" threads. so i'm still not sure i want to update. i also don't want to lose all of my configurations, however, i would also like a clean fresh install, so i'm SOL there. this week would be the best time for a fresh install though. i'm planning on formatting windows and reinstalling it on 1 drive rather than running the RAID setup, since i rarely use windows for anything anymore, i figure it doesn't need to eat up 500GB of storage space. infact, i am only going to make a wndows partition of 150GB, so i will have a total of 600GB for ubuntu (yes, i will fill it with music and movies).

anyhow, now would be a good time to do the install, but i'm still very hesitant, anyone else hesitant about it?

adityakavoor
November 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
i tried GG ... but i am back to FF

Rinzwind
November 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
If I use Gutsy without Compiz -everything- just works.
And I even use an ATI graphics card.

With Compiz I have to live without hibernate and suspend and resume. Plus I have the occasional hard-crash where nothing seems to respond(still do not know how to debug it tho).

jonnywombat
November 12th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I had problems when upgrading via the update manager, (mainly with graphic card drivers, and failing to fetch errors) but all has gone fine on my 3 machines when doing a clean install of a live cd.

In fact so impressed was I that I have even had a go with the 64bit edition and installed everything just fine on my main machine (I tried the 64 bit feisty once and quickly gave it up as a bad job)...

Good luck if you decide to upgrade, and be prepared to do a clean install.

svtfmook
November 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
maybe i'll go with the 64bit version...

Kowalski_GT-R
November 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
anyone else still torn on upgrading to gutsy?

No.:)

Feisty has everything I need and runs well.
I'll wait for April 2008 :wink:

glupee
November 12th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Gutsy's doing great for me!

Paul820
November 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Great here, even compiz working on my laptop with ATI card. It never worked with feisty.

aysiu
November 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Why not try the Gutsy Desktop CD as a live session and see how it runs on your computer?

osxcapades
November 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I didn't think too many people were having problems with Gutsy, but apparently there are a considerable number of people who are. I noticed some bugs with Gutsy, but then again I notice bugs with every Ubuntu release.

On my system, these bugs include

(Live CD) Usplash progress indicator flickers
(Live CD) While the desktop environment is loading, the video goes dark. I have to move my mouse to get it back again.
After I started using the proprietary nVidia drivers, the restricted driver notification appears in the incorrect area.
While desktop effects are enabled, the title bars of maximized windows disappear every so often (not the entire window frame but most of the title bar).

svtfmook
November 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Why not try the Gutsy Desktop CD as a live session and see how it runs on your computer?
i'm just going to install it on my spare drive for now. and leave my feisty drive and windows drive as is incase it doesn't work. i need to make sure i have burning capabilities and networking at all times. or else the entire house shuts down, lol.

whitewizardcoder
November 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm running Gutsy and so far so good. It's smooth and fast. One thing that I noticed, however, is that suspend and hibernate no longer work. On Feisty I was able to suspend even with compiz running. Now I can't suspend at all.

rustybronco
November 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM
desktop... all well and fine.
laptop... with acpi=force it goes very slowly, so instead I dual boot with fiesty (will change back to full 7.10 when I get the time to correct it)

FurryNemesis
November 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I did try it, but the update manager broke multiple things horribly. A fresh install was fine apart from the removed ra2500 drivers - no more wireless for me, and the fixes that I found for some reason never really worked. I'm back to running FF on my spare laptop partition - I won't be upgrading any more unless I like the HH livecd. As Ubuntu and linux evolves, I might just have to accept that my lappy can't keep up.

netbandit
November 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I am waiting for VMWare server to make it into the repositories for GG. I don't want to install the manual way.
-nb

songshu
November 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM
is there someting you really need in Gutsy?
if Feisty does everything you want and need i would wait for Hardy if i were you.

p.s.
i'm running Xubuntu Gutsy and it works great for me

misfitpierce
November 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM
everything works for me 100% on ATI laptop. Compiz is sketchy but everything else is better and its faster for me.

svtfmook
November 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
is there someting you really need in Gutsy?
if Feisty does everything you want and need i would wait for Hardy if i were you.

p.s.
i'm running Xubuntu Gutsy and it works great for me
i'd like to have whatever is running faster. and i think i'd like to move up to a 64bit system as well.

sailor2001
November 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM
No.:)

Feisty has everything I need and runs well.
I'll wait for April 2008 :wink:
+1 I think Gutsy is a little buggy yet. I'll keep it on dual boot and upgrade it from timer to time. By next April hope it will be ok because then I'll wipe Feisty and install H.H. and use Gutsy as the main os

Molatove
November 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 ran slow on computer pent 2.4 ati card
reinstall 7.10 on amd semperon ati card works well runs games well
go ubunto :)

aks44
November 12th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Maybe it's just Kubuntu, but my Gutsy experience was terrible. Back on Feisty it works like a charm, as usual... :)

rustybronco
November 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I did try it, but the update manager broke multiple things horribly. A fresh install was fine apart from the removed ra2500 drivers - no more wireless for me, and the fixes that I found for some reason never really worked. Have you tried reading http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=588045 and substituting the proper daily cvs for your chipset?

regomodo
November 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM
i was for a bit so i tried it and didn't like so i stuck at it setting up my Arch install. That's where i stayed.

svtfmook
November 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
well, i tried installing gutsy 64 and 32bit versions, both times i get:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611592

PartisanEntity
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM
For me it has been an excellent experience with no insurmountable problems.

svtfmook
November 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
did anyone else have the load bootloader problem at install?

if not, how did you avoid it?

Irihapeti
November 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I've got Feisty doing everything I want and I think I'll leave it that way for now. Perhaps when the live DVDs become available at my nearest branch of DSE electronics, I'll toss Gutsy onto one of my spare partitions and see what it's like. I've already got a separate /home, which should make things easier.

When I first got this PC earlier in the year, I got Vista on it. I did have a choice of XP, but I'd no experience on which to make an informed decision - isn't that true of so many things in life! Anyway, I've decided that I've had enough of being a beta tester/bug-iron-outer for the time being. So I'll be unadventurous for a while and just enjoy my smooth Feisty ride.

Then I'll get bored and want something else to play with. :)

rax_m
November 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I am keen to upgrade to another version.. Gutsy 64 probably.. but at the moment there are sound issues with the Toshiba P100 laptops.

Main reason for upgrading is I want to redo my partitions.. initally I only created a 2Gb home and it's full...

leroy_30
November 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I bought a new Dell E1705 a few months ago and made the mistake of getting the ATI X1400 video. I didn't think I would ever get Xubuntu Feisty to work ( **** Video Card ), but after several hours of forum searching I did, I also never got the wireless to work.

However Xubuntu Gutsy worked right out of the box, and I mean everything Wireless, Video, Bluetooth. :)

I haven't been able to get compiz to work but I don't know if all that pretty stuff is really worth the overhead, and T-Bird is a little flaky.

I'm thinking about re-installing Gutsy 64bit.

Unless there are known issues w/ your specific hardware I would give it a shot, But then again I'm a brave soul.

Dale61
November 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM
As I haven't had any problems whatsoever since getting everything I need running smoothly, I am quite content in staying with DD6.06.

Mind you, I have had to fight the urge to to EE, then FF, and now, GG, but I just haven't got the inclination or desire to go through all the set-up dramas again.

Alter Ego
November 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Being a Linux newb I have worked very hard and have invested many hours getting Fiesty just right. There just isn't enough whiz bang boom in Gutsy to warrant going through all that again. I should be ready when Hardy rolls around, and more experienced too.

bartos
November 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Does Feisty get the same software and security updates as Gutsy?

fuscia
November 16th, 2007, 04:22 AM
i'm not torn. i've done it about five times, now.

djsroknrol
November 16th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Not so much torn, but procrastinating...;) Just haven't had the time to "get 'er done"

Linuxratty
November 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'll try Gutsy Kbuntu sometime next month.

Compucore
November 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I've tried GG. everything else worked well. Just the eyecandy that I was used to with FF I liked in my laptop with my ATI. But since it didn't work everything else was okay though. Sometimes its just he little things like the wobbling screen is a nice feature I liked in FF. So I plugged back my FF and I am happy. I can live without my internal modem.

COmpucore

Bungo Pony
November 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I'm still a bit sore on upgrading to Gutsy. Feisty was just so happy. Well, except for the occasional random freezing that still seems to happen in Gutsy :(

Also, what's with Gutsy randomly choosing one of my two sound cards? I've got two hooked up, and I keep having to switch to whichever one Gutsy feels like using!

I'm anxious for Hardy. I'll be sitting with it for the full two years.