PDA

View Full Version : Got the missus on Ubuntu!

Sutur
November 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Finally convinced her to give it a shot.

Get this: she actually complained about how it might be unsafe to take windows vista off the laptop and replace it with dualboot Gutsy 7.10/WinXP SP2, because the people in the shop said it was "built for vista".

XP loads many, many times faster than vista on a fresh install - I wouldn't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say about 8 times faster from BIOS to fully loaded.

As for ubuntu well, almost everything worked on a fresh install. Sound needed backported alsa drivers, but everything was peachy after that. Even compiz runs smoothly.

So I guess I'll post again in a week and see how it goes.

She spent like 3 hours fighting me last night when I suggested it because she didn't trust me that it was safe even after everything was backed up :rolleyes:
But right now she's happily playing pingus in ubuntu, it's almost as if she's unaware her laptop has changed at all. Dunno why I bother...

BigSilly
November 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
My missus didn't take much convincing at all, so I guess I'm lucky in that respect. As long as I set it up to do the stuff she likes she's happy. She was never a big fan of Windows, and she loathes Microsoft, so that was half the battle for me.

We've been using Ubuntu exclusively now for about 6 or 7 months, and even the little 'un said to me last night that the she prefers Linux because the games are better!

bapoumba
November 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Anyone should feel at ease with an OS, whichever that is. Giving a try is good. But in the end, this should be her choice.

isaacj87
November 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Oddly enough, it wasn't me that convinced my girlfriend to switch, but actually the other way around! Not that I put up a fight or anything...I was happy to give Ubuntu a try ;)

Haven't looked back since! If it wasn't for my lovely lady, I probably wouldn't be sitting here basking in the glory of Ubuntu :)

Sutur
November 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=BigSilly;3755227We've been using Ubuntu exclusively now for about 6 or 7 months, and even the little 'un said to me last night that the she prefers Linux because the games are better![/QUOTE]

That's smart, starting kids on Linux. I reckon it would prepare them for a much better understanding of how computers work than ever windows could.

Especially since Linux has a very straightforward method of communicating with the hardware. I had no idea what was happening in the background when I inserted a CD into a drive in Windows a few years ago.

daynah
November 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM
She's not going to enjoy it nearly as much that if you had educated her about linux and then SHE wanted to switch. Now she has no pride in the system and will always feel dragged or forced into it, rather than empowered. Good Job.

Your wife is an intelligent person and can understand linux if you give her the confidence. You have not inspired confidence here.

My dad is switching next week (wants it on a new harddrive that's coming in the mail), and I didn't tell him to switch. When he got a virus on his computer, I would then use the opportunity te remind him that my comp doesn't get viruses. Mhen I got beryl working, I exagerated my excitement, and got him it the room to play with it. He saw be playing WoW and Starcraft and I hear him say "I didn't know you could do that..."

So instead of secretly taking over his computer in the night a year ago, I hear him this morning looking out the door to see if the harddrive he's going to put ubuntu on has come in yet. He does this constantly' just in case the UPS website is wrong. In short, he's EXCITED! And he's going to be a mad Ubuntu fiend that's excited to find programs and fix things instead of yelling at me for what I've done to his system.

sanderella
November 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Got my husband on my Ubuntu laptop....well he plays the games.:cool:

stimpack
November 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
When my gf asked me about Linux, I said 'it's a bit techie, it's not for you', she *demanded* to try it after that :o.

DoctorMO
November 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
When my gf asked me about Linux, I said 'it's a bit techie, it's not for you', she *demanded* to try it after that

that's a bit of sly move.

glupee
November 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM
that's a bit of sly move.
I agree.
Good move stimpack!

Zlatan
November 12th, 2007, 04:28 PM
... she could disagree with ubuntu on her laptop, if she would not want it, so i suppose it is ok.

She's not going to enjoy it nearly as much that if you had educated her about linux and then SHE wanted to switch. Now she has no pride in the system and will always feel dragged or forced into it, rather than empowered. Good Job.

Your wife is an intelligent person and can understand linux if you give her the confidence. You have not inspired confidence here.

My dad is switching next week (wants it on a new harddrive that's coming in the mail), and I didn't tell him to switch. When he got a virus on his computer, I would then use the opportunity te remind him that my comp doesn't get viruses. Mhen I got beryl working, I exagerated my excitement, and got him it the room to play with it. He saw be playing WoW and Starcraft and I hear him say "I didn't know you could do that..."

So instead of secretly taking over his computer in the night a year ago, I hear him this morning looking out the door to see if the harddrive he's going to put ubuntu on has come in yet. He does this constantly' just in case the UPS website is wrong. In short, he's EXCITED! And he's going to be a mad Ubuntu fiend that's excited to find programs and fix things instead of yelling at me for what I've done to his system.

xtigma
November 12th, 2007, 07:15 PM
my missus didn't want Ubuntu when I said to her that the personalized Emoticons of MSN will not be available.
But I manage to convince her. I am not as experienced user and didn't know of aMSN. Alvarito's MSN is an almost perfect clone of MSN. Now she have her emoticons and I have a stable computer.
Everything work fine, even the mess I made on my music thanks to iTunes, was repaired easily with Amarok.
Surely I never will turn back to Windows. NEVAH!!
hahaha.

Mr. Picklesworth
November 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'm trying to switch my family over. Have Ubuntu on another partition and a Grub boot floppy (yes, a floppy disk). Accounts are all dragged in from Windows and home folders linking to respective Windows My Documents folders. (Yay for NTFS writing!).

Sometimes, I leave the floppy disk in and see if anyone notices...
One point so far; someone logged in, opened the web browser and was happily ordering plane tickets before asking me what I had done to the computer.

sports fan Matt
November 12th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Heh..

My fiance really and truly wont need convincing. She is always yelling at the pc going (cmon you stupid piece of crap" and cursing it under her breath. Then I showed her what Ubuntu could do from the webpage and she said "that sounds really cool" So, I guess I have her permission now. Now to only find a good lappy..hmmm:lolflag:

Spike-X
November 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
When my gf asked me about Linux, I said 'it's a bit techie, it's not for you', she *demanded* to try it after that :o.
Reminds me of Lyle Lanley selling the monorail to the people of Springfield.

"...nah. I think this is more of a Shelbyville idea."

Sutur
November 12th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Good Job.

Thank you! I appreciate your ability analyse the good gesture towards my own partner and turn it into a throbbing inversion of it's former self.

How could I have been so blind, clearly I shouldn't be with her anymore because I am somehow completely unaware of how her feeble little mind works!

Thank you daynah, I feel so enlightened!

amadeus266
November 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
My wife is STILL begging me to put Ubuntu on her laptop. Problem is, she works for the school system and they are using some experimental proprietary software right now and of course it only runs on windows.

-grubby
November 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
My wife is STILL begging me to put Ubuntu on her laptop. Problem is, she works for the school system and they are using some experimental proprietary software right now and of course it only runs on windows.

dual-boot?

The Joe
November 12th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Heh..

My fiance really and truly wont need convincing. She is always yelling at the pc going (cmon you stupid piece of crap" and cursing it under her breath. Then I showed her what Ubuntu could do from the webpage and she said "that sounds really cool" So, I guess I have her permission now. Now to only find a good lappy..hmmm:lolflag:

Y'know quite a few of my family members are like that and they just won't switch... Ah well, more Ubuntu for me.

sports fan Matt
November 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
They must just be afraid or dont have the time or just dont want to learn..but as you said more Ubuntu for me...Thats what counts, right? :)

daynah
November 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Just don't erase anyone's stuff, alright? That's crazy rude and is a horrible introduction to Ubuntu...

JetskiDude911
November 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM
My wife wouldn't have a problem if I wanted to put Ubuntu on my home computer. She just uses whatever I use. I got a new computer a few years ago and gave her my old one (which was still a nice machine), but she decided she liked my new one. So she used it. Then I got an iMac over the summer, and she's now decided she likes it...she probably wouldn't have any problems with Ubuntu...

frup
November 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Does no one use LiveCD's? No damage and allows them to have a play around with Ubuntu to get a taste. My gf uses Ubuntu but that's because I gave her a computer as a present. She likes it and I have also indoctrinated her in FSF philosophy over time. She's got 6.10 atm and after last playing with my 7.10 machine is excited about get 8.04 on her machine (her computer use is one which is incredibly suitable for LTS)

Sutur
November 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Just don't erase anyone's stuff, alright? That's crazy rude and is a horrible introduction to Ubuntu...

I had that introduction with Slackware. Now I double backup everything - including her stuff.