PDA

View Full Version : Age and Gender Poll

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I'd like to know the age and gender of the Ubuntu Users in a poll, so we can see some figures(numbers).. I know there is a thread but a poll is nicer...

sapo
August 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I think i m becoming blind.. i cant see the poll... :roll:

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Took some time to do it..

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Nice to see a good response.. come on, keep it up..

Knome_fan
August 30th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'm 30.
Do I fall into the 20-30 years, or in the 30-40 years category?

Before you ask, I don't have a problem deciding between the male and female categories, at least most of the time.

GeneralZod
August 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Will be interesting to see how this shapes up. It would also be cool to have a map of the world with people's geographical location on it.

Personally, I'm betting that the Male 0 - 20 category will end up winning by a clear margin.

Edit:

Well, looks like my prediction was crap :)

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I should have thought of that... well, you are free to choose..

Of course, if you have a problem regarding male and female... well, well... I dunno..

Knome_fan
August 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Ok, I took the 20-30 option. I just feels better...

Lovechild
August 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM
this feels like chat channels... ASL!!!

so here goes:

24/m/dk

Brunellus
August 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
<hiphop>YEAAAAH, party people, lemme hear ya say w00t w00t

[w00t w00t]

all the fellas in the house c'mon lemme hear ya say w00t w00t

[w00t w00t]

all the ladies in the house c'mon lemme hear ya say w00t w00t

[silence. crickets. tumbleweed]

</hiphop>

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM
We do have a female here, just the one....

TristanMike
August 30th, 2005, 03:24 PM
1 female thus far.....so I guess I was wrong thinking that joining the Linux community would help me score........ :razz:

earobinson
August 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I took 0 - 20 male (20 male) but really i could have take 20-30 also

Heliode
August 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Well, now aren't these results a surprise.

Lord Illidan
August 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I hope this thread doesn't fade to obscurity...

*BUMP*

matthew
August 30th, 2005, 06:37 PM
My wife doesn't read the forums and neither do my two daughters, but all of them use Ubuntu exclusively. So, we could add 1 female in the 30-40 range and 2 in the 0-20 range if they were to vote.

Kimm
August 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Interesting to see how men almost allways dominate the Linux communities. I'm not saying this is a good thing just that one would think atleast some more women would take an interest in Computing and Linux.

Well... I supose it has to do with our upbringing?

Jordan Meeter
August 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I'm a 16 year old male. :)

Kvark
August 30th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Interesting to see how men almost allways dominate the Linux communities. I'm not saying this is a good thing just that one would think atleast some more women would take an interest in Computing and Linux.

I went to a computer highschool, 440 boys and about 10 girls running around with laptops, the school tried desperately and in vein to market itself to girls.

To most females it seems like I'm talking in some weird programming language half of the time so they run. On the other hand it seems to me that most women under 30 are always talking about what or who someone did and I can't figure out why it matters to them or if they are talking about the latest issue of some celebrity gossip magazine, a reality TV show, a soap opera or their own friends. :-?

It gotta have something to do with our upbringing. It seems like girls are expected to put on makeup and discuss gossip, not program and discuss technical stuff.

Lol, now I sound so stereotypical that any girls who read this will prolly feel insulted, sorry.

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2005, 07:43 PM
Ok, a slight increase of 100% in the number of girls answering this thread..

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 09:29 PM
God thats sad, my category only has 8 votes.

=(

TristanMike
August 31st, 2005, 09:39 PM

=(If you can wait, I'll be joining you in 5 years :)

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2005, 09:49 PM

=(

My profound condolences... give me 20 years, and I'll be there.. I promise...

KingBahamut
August 31st, 2005, 09:51 PM
Well by then Ill be in the category that has only 1 vote.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm 30.
Do I fall into the 20-30 years, or in the 30-40 years category?

Before you ask, I don't have a problem deciding between the male and female categories, at least most of the time.

i think onece you reach 30, you are in the 30 to 40 cat.

mstlyevil
August 31st, 2005, 09:57 PM
Well by then Ill be in the category that has only 1 vote.

I just made it 9 in your category. Old enough to know better yet still young enough to out do the 20 year olds.

davidgypsy
August 31st, 2005, 10:17 PM

=(

Only 6 in mine...
:roll:

Hobbsee
September 1st, 2005, 03:49 AM
Only 6 in mine...
:roll:

Hehe!

Only one in mine, and that's me! (the 10-20 year old female category)

I feel so outnumbered...

gorkhal
September 1st, 2005, 05:52 AM
Hehe!

Only one in mine, and that's me! (the 10-20 year old female category)

I feel so outnumbered...

come now dont be scared :grin: ...all fine people here....

but seriously, where all the WOMEN GO!!!! :sad:

Hobbsee
September 1st, 2005, 06:59 AM
come now dont be scared :grin: ...all fine people here....

good question.

It seems like the males are the ones who are interested in operating systems and computers, compared with the women, who dont really care how it works as long as it does.

I know that's a massive generalisation, and that there are some of us who bite the bullet and go and do it ourselves, but that seems pretty rare.

Also, most women probably dont know that linux exist - they are far less likely to read computer tech magazines than men are...

matthew
September 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM
There are three in my house (wife and 2 daughters) who all use Ubuntu. They also tend not to think about the tech side of things, they just know/appreciate that it works well for them. As a result they have no real interest in things like these forums. I can't speak for any other females, but that's why these three users aren't noted in the poll.

kagashe
September 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Hi,

I am over 50 male and there are only 2 so far. Interesting.

kagashe

npaladin2000
September 1st, 2005, 08:15 AM
I'm 30, but an old 30, so I'm in the 30 to 40 ;)

You know, we REALLY need to get more women into IT...it's kinda sad that you barely see any....ever.

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2005, 08:23 AM
And here I thought getting in the forums would get me a girl... I was really mistaken, I see.

Just 2.24 percent of all users who answered this poll are female...

drummer
September 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM
It seems like the males are the ones who are interested in operating systems and computers, compared with the women, who dont really care how it works as long as it does.That seems about right, my sister often seems like she's allergic to technology and gives me frequent blank stares if I try to explain something, like why a CD must be unmounted before it's ejected, no matter how simple I try to make it. She's also unwilling to learn much, but seems happy with Ubuntu installed [recently] on the computer she uses, so long as most things are only a click away.

My mum is a bit better, I'm not sure how she'd fare learning Gimp after using only Photoshop, but the rest of the transition to Ubuntu would probably go smoothly if ever she's willing. Dad's fine with computers & stuff but I'm the one who fixes and set's up anything to do with the computers in our house.

[ male, 0-20 (18) is my category, 2nd biggest so far]

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM
That seems about right, my sister often seems like she's allergic to technology and gives me frequent blank stares if I try to explain something, like why a CD must be unmounted before it's ejected, no matter how simple I try to make it. She's also unwilling to learn much, but seems happy with Ubuntu installed [recently] on the computer she uses, so long as most things are only a click away.

My mum is a bit better, I'm not sure how she'd fare learning Gimp after using only Photoshop, but the rest of the transition to Ubuntu would probably go smoothly if ever she's willing. Dad's fine with computers & stuff but I'm the one who fixes and set's up anything to do with the computers in our house.

[ male, 0-20 (18) is my category, 2nd biggest so far]

True.. my older sister (11) does not like computers, in fact, she hates them, my younger sister (9) seems to like them, but I doubt that she will use Linux anytime soon.
My mum does not know how to switch it on, much less use Gimp..
My father's fine with computers, and actually knows how to program, but at home, I am the computer junkie..

darkmatter
September 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Male, in the 30 - 40 category (33).

rwabel
September 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
good idea to start an age and gendre poll. And as someone stated before, it would be nice to have a map to see where the users are all coming from. German forum has such a thing :-)

papangul
September 1st, 2005, 06:55 PM
First Hundred votes: 97 M, 3 F !

cokhavim
September 1st, 2005, 07:10 PM
First Hundred votes: 97 M, 3 F !
oh cool! i was the 100th vote! do i win something??

20-30 female

earobinson
September 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM

20-30 female
yes you win a free copy of ubuntu

matthew
September 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM

20-30 female
Our undying admiration for standing up and being counted despite overwhelming minority status.

Seriously, welcome. :)

bjweeks
September 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM
Im 14 myself I thought I would be one of the youngest but I think Lord Illidan has that title. :mad: :smile:

cokhavim
September 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM

definitetly the upbringing. look at the media. all the attractive girls are the ones with makeup, the ones who shop for the best outfits, and even the ones who gossip. it's no wonder many girls turn out that way. society keeps telling them they're unattractive otherwise. what tv show ever featured a sexy female computer nerd? if society started sending the message that there are more and better ways to be attractive than just the superficial ways, and that it isn't unattractive to be computer literate, i think that more girls would start considering the option of a more technical education.

sexy female computer nerd

Hobbsee
September 2nd, 2005, 03:16 AM
definitetly the upbringing. look at the media. all the attractive girls are the ones with makeup, the ones who shop for the best outfits, and even the ones who gossip. it's no wonder many girls turn out that way. society keeps telling them they're unattractive otherwise. what tv show ever featured a sexy female computer nerd? if society started sending the message that there are more and better ways to be attractive than just the superficial ways, and that it isn't unattractive to be computer literate, i think that more girls would start considering the option of a more technical education.

sexy female computer nerd

tv? ads on tv? what are they? Obviously something I dont watch!

It seems like more girls, at least where I am, are taking computer courses in year 9 and 10 - but that just teaches them about how to run windows and various other programs, and doesnt cover viruses and adware, and doesnt cover open source. You would think schools would be one of the first to look at open source - they'd have so many computers to run and keep from being infested by viruses and spyware.

As for the sexy female computer nerd - they are making progress - At our school, our new head of IT is a woman.

greenstar
September 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
I'm 31, male, and contestant #116.

<rant>
cokhavim: All female nerds & geeks are sexy, if for no other reason than that they are, generally speaking, more intelligent than the general population. Smart chicks rule! I know, I married one, and I'm raising one. (My wife is an intelligent woman, though she's not a geek.) This is not to say nerds & geeks can't be hot too. As to why there aren't more women in IT, I think it's as much expectations as it is "upbringing". We (as a society) generally don't expect our girls to be interested in anything of substance, and we treat them accordingly, then it's no wonder we get the result that we do. We should expect more. I know I won't be shortchanging my daughter that way. She's 5 years old, and I have been working from the beginning to raise a well-rounded, intelligent, mature & capable young woman. To this end, I take her to Tae Kwon Do so that she'll be able to defend herself, and I teach her everything I would teach a son. I explain things to her rather than assuming that she's too young to understand, I just put it into words she can handle so that she can better understand the world around her. Kids are mental sponges, take the time to teach them and they will soak up knowledge as if it were water. My daughter goes canoeing & hiking with me. When I have to repair something, she comes with to learn & help. When I do some gardening or maintenance on my car, she's right there. When I ran network cable through our new house & attic this summer, my daughter was right beside me helping & learning. I don't ever assume that she won't need to know something just because she's a girl. Last week, she installed Ubuntu on her computer with a little help from good ol' Dad. My daughter is highly capable and she's so beautiful that when I take her out into public, not a day goes by that someone doesn't stop to fawn over her, saying something like "Your little girl is soooo beautiful". I've even heard other parents say things like "She looks exactly like a little girl should" and (seriously) "I wish my daughter was that pretty... you're so lucky to have such a beautiful daughter" (To that I say: "Yes, I am!") and often as not, they are floored when she proceeds to respond in an intelligent, well-spoken manner. It's amazing what children can learn, understand and do if you put a little time & effort into them. Let's not continue to sell our girls short.
</rant>

Thanks for bearing with me there, folks.

greenstar

bjweeks
September 2nd, 2005, 07:50 AM
Thats great! A 5 year old installing ubuntu now I know we can get adults to install it. :)

greenstar
September 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM
Damn good point there bj, I hadn't even thought of that. :-s

bjweeks
September 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Yes, the question is are people unable to use oss or do they just not want to. :grin:

Hobbsee
September 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, the question is are people unable to use oss or do they just not want to. :grin:
Yes, i suspect it's more a case of "do not want to", rather than can't.

Still, we'll see what they say when they see how much it costs to upgrade to vista, and it's office, and whether they'd prefer that, and learning how to use that, or whether they'd prefer to learn how to use linux - as they'd have to learn a new operating system no matter which way they chose...

Lord Illidan
September 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Im 14 myself I thought I would be one of the youngest but I think Lord Illidan has that title. :mad: :smile:

Hey, I am 16.. I used the phrase "older sister", because of my 2 sisters, she is the oldest, not older than me...

bdamon
September 2nd, 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I am over 50 male and there are only 2 so far. Interesting.

kagashe

I am right behind ya, Just hit 45

Tiede
September 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Hmm... I guess I am really far behind, with my 19 going on 20 in 21 days... Sorry, it just looks so great on paper!!! Now you know my birthday! :)
Waiting for gifts...

But I am really shocked with the discrepancy in the gender... 130 males to 4 females... so far... that is more than 30 times! I am trying to get my sister to switch to ubuntu, though, so that number might just change to 5 in the following weeks. :)

Deeze
September 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM
what tv show ever featured a sexy female computer nerd?

Umm, Stargate?

Guess I make 5.. and the oldest to boot. Guess y'all can call me mom :). Geek for 20+ years and counting... Linux user for 10.

matthew
September 12th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Umm, Stargate?

Guess I make 5.. and the oldest to boot. Guess y'all can call me mom :). Geek for 20+ years and counting...
Hi, Mom. We're glad you are here--welcome!

The Mekon
September 12th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Some of us are pleased to that there is only a 50 and over selection. Actually I would just scrape in the 60 -70 section if there was one :x

Brian

blackbeastofaarrgh
December 7th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Believe it or not....
13/F/USA (Arizona)
I'm the local computer nerd and loving it!

dosed150
December 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
im male and 17

blueturtl
December 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Where are all the girls? According to this poll so far the userbody is made mostly of 20-30 year old guys (about 50%) and teenage guys (20%). The rest are older (mostly guys, about 20%). Not in one category are there more than 5% women. You guys must realize that this is serious. :)

If the ratings keep looking like this I'm going to have to take my propeller-hat off my head :D

Pablo_Escobar
December 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
25 springs already behind me :)
I don't think I need to add that I'm a male :)

jatos
December 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Right I am under 20, and yes I would agree their aren't enough female users.

BTW, would an admin be able to change my vote to 0-20 years male, clicked the wrong icon by accident. Thanks.

public_void
December 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
At the time of post there are 8, yes 8, females out of 189. There really does need to be more female users. IMO it seems Linux primary user is still a male techie/nerd/whenever you want to be called person. I'm the 0-20 male btw.

blackbeastofaarrgh
December 9th, 2005, 01:59 AM
I agree with you guys. I think there should be a lot more female nerds. I don't see what's so masculane about computers, and they don't make you a "loser". People actually admire you for being computer literate.

arcanistherogue
December 9th, 2005, 03:48 AM
I am 14 and male, woot.

kassetra
April 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Didn't anyone ever mention that it's not nice to ask a lady her age? *snicker*

:p

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
not a very good picture about gender:
233 male (%95.49) to 11 females (%4.50).

I guess more corraboration is needed with the Ubuntu Women (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76) project.

kassetra
April 12th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Well, I would have preferred an age or gender poll; not combined, so I am actively choosing not to add my female vote to this poll.

There might be others that feel the same way.

towsonu2003
April 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Well, I would have preferred an age or gender poll; not combined, so I am actively choosing not to add my female vote to this poll.

maybe the OP can post two new separate polls? Comparing responses to them with responses with this might give insight as well...

darkmatter
April 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Bah... I'll never understand that... Age is something to be proud of... it brings wisdom/experience (usually) ;)

Come on girl... spill it... :p

kassetra
April 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Bah... I'll never understand that... Age is something to be proud of... it brings wisdom/experience (usually) ;)

Come on girl... spill it... :p

nuh-uh.

darkmatter
April 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
nuh-uh.

Party Pooper ;)

bonzodog
April 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM
33, Male, Married for 3rd Time, 3 kids by 2 exes, Eldest is Christopher who is 8, and I have 2 daughters; Samantha , 6, and Caitlin, 2 (3 in May). Caitlin is the brightest one of them - She was walking at 9 months, and can operate the DVD home cinema system competantly. She has been toilet trained since she was 12 months old including at night. She lives with her mum in England, and I haven't seen her since just before her first birthday, but talk to her on the phone regularly, and she just continues to amaze me with how fast she is learning new things.

Bandit
April 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Wow, lot more dudes then chicks...
We need more girls here...

MenZa
April 12th, 2006, 07:59 PM
*Peers at current votes*

I feel young.

*Entering emo mode: slits wrists*

Rikostan
April 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I turned 38 this past March. I have been married for 13 years and have three kids.. my daughter(who turned 9 this past weekend) is running Edubuntu on her laptop and loving it.

htinn
April 27th, 2006, 09:52 PM
/me votes "None of your business" :P

woedend
April 28th, 2006, 12:21 AM
21 M(well, in a few days). Anywho, while obviously not many females are here, it's nothing that we are doing wrong, just to me a representative figure. Differences in interests based on both upbringing and as mentioned before social influences. Which is to say, even if there were a huge number of women ubuntu users, still not many would show up here. Reason being that in general most don't seem to get into computers much, just use them to email and IM and blog. If you've ever happened upon a windows forum, it most likely has the same disproportion as here, even though the percentage of women windows users is much much higher.
A persons gender makes no difference to me on here, as I rarely even look or guess. I am very much against a specific drive to get more women here as I am against all forms of singled out discrimination(affirmitive action, Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education(forced busing)- anyone in american public schools can probably attest to this).

unbuntu
April 28th, 2006, 01:37 AM
One of the CS professors in our school said the gender ratio among CS students is atrocious. However, from this thread, the percentage of lady users is even lower than the percentage of female students in our CS programs...But nevertheless, we can see a marketing potential here...

Mr_J_
April 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I think most women like shiny, colourfull objects and linux has yet to show off any shinny and colourfull objects that work with little work...

Of course I've never met a computer geek girl in my life!
Wonder where they all go...

Abstract
September 5th, 2006, 09:29 PM
12 and male.

DoctorMO
September 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM
There are two reasons, one is that technical aspects interest men, the other is that most western socities generalise their women into other careers which is just sad.

Although on the plus side, women like to chat so there should be a greater percentage of the ubuntu using geeky women in these forums... which I think would be terrible.

glotz
September 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
OMG, look at the gender results! Do women only understand *******?? Un-*******-believable!

It's time to educate your mothers, girlfriends and daughters! Do it today!

EDIT: Looks like mr. robot didn't like the f-word... :D

Brunellus
September 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
OMG, look at the gender results! Do women only understand *******?? Un-*******-believable!

You live with it.

The plain fact is that women are not encouraged to play with computers, whereas men are. If a girl spends a lot of time on the machine...she's a deviant, or she's a potential victim of an online preadator.

If a boy does the same...he's just a boy.

Stupid, isn't it?

Mr Wrath
September 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
can't seem to find the voting booth...

26/m...and can't find the voting booth...sheez.

Schnoidz
September 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Male - 50
I started on a Commodore Plus Four, then moved on to the C-64 with a 300 baud modem. Luckily the files on the bulletin boards weren't very large ;)

DoctorMO
September 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Well my mother uses Ubuntu so does my landlady; I set up both computers and they've never been to the forums.

So don't take this poll to mean there arn't women using ubuntu, just not so many women installing, fixing, administrating and programming ubuntu.

MetalMusicAddict
September 6th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Is this like the old age/sex check in chat rooms? :)

sailor2001
September 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I am right behind ya, Just hit 45

maybe there should be a 70-80 and over 80 group.. there are a few of us

Klaidas
September 13th, 2006, 08:50 PM
15, Male! :)

Lord Illidan
September 13th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I never thought that there was still life in this old thread :)

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
September 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm 13 and i'm loving ubuntu and especially the command line. Why don't we get commercials for ubuntu? I used xp (i know, shame on me) and three viruses later a computer store recommended ubuntu. Tried and loved it :-).

any other young ubuntu users out there!?!?!?!?

Skia_42
September 16th, 2006, 10:15 PM

The female linux users are probably to busy working on improving linux then wasting their time in some thread filled with lazy forum-happy guys.

æþeling
September 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
24, male...as average as it gets:)

imhdd
November 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'm 74 and pleased to use Ubuntu. At 74 I'm pleased to be any where doing anything! Ha.

kuja
November 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
I wasn't paying attention. I'm 20, so I click on 0-20.... yet, I'm really closer to 21. Overlap is evil. Oh, and I'm a guy.

Lord Illidan
November 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
what, this must be the oldest poll in the forums!!

kuja
November 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
The female linux users are probably to busy working on improving linux then wasting their time in some thread filled with lazy forum-happy guys.
Rather than complaining about a lack of women, we should be out recruiting women for the forums ;)

EdThaSlayer
November 2nd, 2006, 06:05 PM
This forum...really lacks...the females...
Kuja, i agree with you, we need to recruit them!
hahaha...

Lord Illidan
November 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Right, ppl..start recruiting!!

Kateikyoushi
November 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I'm 74 and pleased to use Ubuntu. At 74 I'm pleased to be any where doing anything! Ha.

I would be pleased if I were able to say that I am 74 one day. ;)
Well have to keep going for another two times my age.

DarkN00b
November 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
35 and counting...

EDIT:....heh, and male

gerowen
November 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
19, male, Kentucky(United States).

kircher
November 4th, 2006, 08:46 AM
so few women using Ubuntu, and Linux in general I assume. That's a shame.

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Theres not many women at Overclockers Australia (and its OS neutral) in my sig either... even though the membership is like 80000people. I spose males are more likely to develop an interest in computing.

Hell even in my classes at uni... theres only like 2 girls out of 20 or so people.

fuscia
November 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I spose males are more likely to develop an interest in computing.

these polls just indicate an interest in talking about computing. women may not have as much need for support as males or might be more interested in talking about other things (like why i haven't mowed the lawn yet, this week).

steven8
November 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM
(like why i haven't mowed the lawn yet, this week).

OMG! You're supposed to MOW that thing?! :-)

41 Male

nbound
November 4th, 2006, 10:34 AM
these polls just indicate an interest in talking about computing. women may not have as much need for support as males or might be more interested in talking about other things (like why i haven't mowed the lawn yet, this week).
That still doesnt explain the massive gender gap in any of my uni classes (Im doin a Bachelor of IT)

MedivhX
November 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I'm 14y male (boy, teen, whatever)

steveneddy
November 5th, 2006, 05:41 AM
this feels like chat channels... ASL!!!

so here goes:

24/m/dk

42/M/US - Gemini - likes long walks on the beach with a female of the opposite sex....speaking of sex....

Dual Cortex
November 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
42/M/US - Gemini - likes long walks on the beach with a female of the opposite sex....speaking of sex....

Female of opposite sex?

....speaking of sex.... http://i.slickdeals.net/images/smilies/emot-LMAO.gif

trash
November 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I wanna vote for my mom who is an over 50 female but never comes on the forum luvin xubuntu!

sanderella
November 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Over-50 female, but feel like a teenager:)

Dual Cortex
November 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Over-50 female, but feel like a teenager:)

Linux Sweater Patterns!

:-k
Nice! \\:D/
lol

sanderella
November 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Linux Sweater Patterns.
I've got 3 fronts already knitted, hoping to get one finished for the next Hants LUG. :)

HW_Hack
November 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yep .... I'm a geezer ----- Long live Rock-n-Roll ..... er something like that

chaosgeisterchen
November 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
18, male, Upper Austria.

Nothing special here.

Toontwnca
November 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
58/m

DoctorMO
November 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
We have almost 5% women, which is really cool.

acascianelli
November 7th, 2006, 02:52 AM
23m

adam.tropics
November 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Wow, I am surprised, not so much at Women coming in less, but I didn't expect it to be by that much. At least it looks like we are converting the young folks, so things are looking up for the future!

Minyaliel
November 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
19, female, Norway =)

Interestedinthepenguin
December 7th, 2006, 10:24 PM
16 and female.

d3v1ant_0n3
December 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM
16 and female.

Nice avatar:cool:

29 and male. Quite impressed at a)the number of women on the forum, and b)the fact that they aren't being set upon lustfully by all the men like waaay too many other forums.

Or are the moderators that good?:-D

yabbadabbadont
December 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM

29 and male. Quite impressed at a)the number of women on the forum, and b)the fact that they aren't being set upon lustfully by all the men like waaay too many other forums.

Never assume that just because someone online claims to be a certain gender and age, that they really are... :lol:

On a side note, the mods here do seem to be very good about stamping out bad behavior.

To answer the poll, I'll use a favorite line of mine from a classic movie: "Older than my teeth and younger than my tongue" ;)

Interestedinthepenguin
December 7th, 2006, 11:19 PM

Thanks. :)

To answer the poll, I'll use a favorite line of mine from a classic movie: "Older than my teeth and younger than my tongue" ;)

What movie did that come from?:)

yabbadabbadont
December 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
What movie did that come from?:)

I may have misquoted it, but it is from the original "Miracle on 34th Street".

po0f
December 8th, 2006, 03:27 AM

How old are your teeth, and how old is your tongue? I'm not letting you off that easy.

yabbadabbadont
December 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM
How old are your teeth, and how old is your tongue? I'm not letting you off that easy.

I voted in the poll. That should be enough. ;)

I will admit to having watched Neil Armstrong step on the moon, but that's as far as I'll go. After all, a little mystery keeps things interesting. :D

As for your specific question, my teeth are 10-12 years younger than my tongue and my tongue is 10-12 years older than my teeth. :lol:

Brunellus
December 8th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Speaking for the mod squad, we try very hard to keep things civil and on-topic...even in the Community Cafe area.

iPower
December 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
27years ung male Sweden

neoflight
December 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
its interesting to know the kind of people here....the world is so smaallll

sailingboarder
December 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM
its interesting to know the kind of people here....the world is so smaallll
that it is

most of the girls i know spend their lives on myspace and facebook, but i think that's as a far as they care to go with computers
i think a love of computers comes at a young age, and is very much so a factor of society...just look at the video game market and how many games are designed for generally male interests(sports, violence, war) vs. women's interests(::insert examples here::) from a young age boys are drawn to technology more so than girls, and thus the gap develops

also, this poll is a very biased survey ( i'm taking ap statistics this year, so i just learned these things ;) ) it only ask those users who visit the cafe of a low market share os, u cannot expect to have an acturate description of anything from a poll like this

synacktion
December 14th, 2006, 05:27 AM
...just look at the video game market and how many games are designed for generally male interests(sports, violence, war) vs. women's interests(::insert examples here::) from a young age boys are drawn to technology more so than girls, and thus the gap develops

It seems to me I saw some recent survey concluding that girls spend just as much time as guys on the computer on average (to be statistically correct i'm sure they throw out any linux users ;))- so perhaps the most prevalent themes of games are shifting to become more of a cause rather than an effect of the gamer ratio. Just look at all the girls who play the Sims...

Mystere
December 14th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Just look at all the girls who play the Sims...

Speaking of which anybody else know of the strange "Harvest Moon Mom" Phenomenon?

gerowen
December 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Next thing you know they'll reveal that Masterchief (the oober male star character of the Halo series) is a female(he's never been seen without his armor on). I've already heard rumors about the Spartan on DOA 4 being a girl or something to that effect.

Sircoelho
December 28th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I'm a bit old.. pass 30 years is some sad :(

Rui Pais
April 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Since December no one has voted here... so i bumped with my age/gender.
40, male.

atlfalcons866
May 27th, 2007, 03:50 AM
how old you guys im 16

dfreer
May 27th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Just turned 20 last month :D

justinlb
May 27th, 2007, 04:04 AM

shen-an-doah
May 27th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'll be 21 in two weeks. Someone post and make me feel less old?

frup
May 27th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I am 21

yabbadabbadont
May 27th, 2007, 04:15 AM
This is a dupe of: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61048&highlight=age

Edit: That didn't keep me from voting though. I'm a sucker for polls. :lol:

Wnutt
May 27th, 2007, 04:17 AM
About 2 weeks in my 31th revolution around the sun.

olieviya
August 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'm in the 2.34%! Zomg

Ultra Magnus
August 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
22 year old male - The very first Linux user I had ever met was a girl - Never seen another female Linux user since!

octathlon
August 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM

How can you be younger than your tongue?

Anyway, another good one is:
"Too young for Medicare and too old for men to care." :)

F/40's

yabbadabbadont
August 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM
How can you be younger than your tongue?

I had a tongue before I was born, but not teeth. ;)

-grubby
October 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM
22 year old male - The very first Linux user I had ever met was a girl - Never seen another female Linux user since!
exactly! look at the poll male is lik 70% more!

LaRoza
October 7th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I'll be 21 in two weeks. Someone post and make me feel less old?

I'll be 20 next year, sorry, I feel less old though...

yabbadabbadont
October 7th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I'll be 20 next year, sorry, I feel less old though...

I have suits older than the two of you... :( :lol:

dfreer
October 7th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Speaking of which anybody else know of the strange "Harvest Moon Mom" Phenomenon?

ROFL my mom LOVES that game!! I remember her curled up on the couch with a blanket and her little dog for almost an entire winter, debating whether she should marry Ann or Karen.. o.0

Then again, my parents play video games, which from what I hear isn't normal. Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic, and Zelda games are some of their favorites.

I'm a 20 year old male btw.

wgilbert5
October 7th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Well, I'm 68 and still as handsome and energetic as I ever was. :guitar: Seriously, Linux users, especially Ubuntu Linux users, come in all ages as this poll shows. Glad to see Dell offering Ubuntu in mainstream computers, BTW.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
OK, I'm an old fart; however,

the distribution by age for males is what I would expect.

the distribution for females is surprising.

Lord Illidan
October 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see this thread rising from the dead :P

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to see this thread rising from the dead :P

To quote Mark Twain, "The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"

:lolflag:

sanderella
November 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I wonder who the other 2 females over 50 are?????????????
:KS

popch
November 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I wonder who the other 2 females over 50 are?????????????
:KS

Klick on 'view poll results' just below the poll box.

Er - after having voted, klick on the tally in any one line.

Hizzoner
November 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Hey Guys and Guyettes...
I'm 67 and worked in IT and experimented with numerous Linux distros.
Owned an AT&T 3bi for years too!
Why not have an age group for 60+ or even 70+ ages...you may be quite surprised to find so many 60+ folks using Linux

Onesimus
November 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I have just noticed this from the poll data (it may have been commented on before) but the lengths of the lines bear no little resemblance to the numbers that have voted on each one.
For example, only 4 people voted in the female category (aged: over 50 ), whereas 442 people voted in the male category (aged: 20 to 30). Therefore the line should be 100x longer, but it isn't. This then leads to misleading interpretation of the data.

Has anyone noticed this on other polls ?

clancymf
November 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Now that the results are in, I would like to see someone come up with a different poll as to which country people are from.

I work for an international company and love that fact that I have met people from all over the world. It would be nice to see where fellow ubuntu users call home.