PDA

View Full Version : Poll on Desktop/Laptop

Tavorisch
November 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
If you were to buy a pre-built ubuntu computer, complete with Gutsy Gibon, Compiz Fusion, Open Office, Wine, and Steam installed, and everything tested that it works before its shipped, would it stop you from buying it because you cannot buy it in laptop form? Just trying to do some research.

-grubby
November 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I'd buy it either way

hellmet
November 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM
The question is pretty confusing.
To get ubuntu on a desktop, I'd simply assemble my own system and install ubuntu on it. I cannot do this with a laptop. So, if I do get one with ubuntu pre-installed, and within my budget ( unlike system76), I'd be the first to get it.

Tavorisch
November 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Right on, Me and a buddy of mine are trying to start up a supply business with pre installed Ubuntu machines cheaper than anyone else doing it, since we'd rather be able to start building a customer base, rather than make money of just a few people. Did a comparison to System 76

Them: 900ish
Us: 700ish

Building the website and setting up the shopping cart as of now, will start to advertise in the next coming year.

FG123
November 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
You mention the idea of sticking Wine and Steam on it too.

If you can build a Ubuntu distro and get Wine running the Orange Box in all its glory, I think you'll have something pretty cool to show off to prospective customers. :)

Tavorisch
November 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I gotta find the screen shot of me running TF2 and HL2: EP 2 perfectly in gutsy, it's doable, and with a system that's not top of the line by any means.

gn2
November 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Right on, Me and a buddy of mine are trying to start up a supply business with pre installed Ubuntu machines cheaper than anyone else doing it, since we'd rather be able to start building a customer base, rather than make money of just a few people. Did a comparison to System 76

Them: 900ish
Us: 700ish

Building the website and setting up the shopping cart as of now, will start to advertise in the next coming year.

Have you considered that you would be in direct competition with Dell?
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

And even they're struggling just now.

JBAlaska
November 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I always build my own desktop's as I also build and sell Media Servers (Running Linux of course).

I have yet to buy a new laptop, but when I do it will not be a pre-installed linux machine, rather I will shop for a laptop with Linux compatible hardware and do my own install.

There's something very satisfying about installing my own OS, and being able to customize partitions and file systems as I see fit.

aysiu
November 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Yes. The next computer I buy would definitely be a laptop.

Kappity
November 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
If you were to buy a pre-built ubuntu computer, complete with Gutsy Gibon, Compiz Fusion, Open Office, Wine, and Steam installed, and everything tested that it works before its shipped, would it stop you from buying it because you cannot buy it in laptop form? Just trying to do some research.

It would depend on which I was shopping for. I could get by with just a laptop, and hook it up to an external monitor/mouse/keyboard when using it at home, but I prefer to have one desktop and one laptop (or more). So if I were shopping for a new desktop computer, it wouldn't bother me that I'd have to buy the laptop from somebody else.

My main reason for buying a pre-built Ubuntu (or other linux) computer would be to have all the hardware working properly with the OS. I'm less worried about the software, with so much easily installed by the package manager, and of the programs you mention, wouldn't want Wine or Steam, anyway.

Tavorisch
November 12th, 2007, 11:36 PM
We're researching all the components we want to stick in our machines, Already have built the first two models of machines we're selling with everything working, just gotta work on the high end model meant for gaming, graphic design, etc.

We're thinking of this, tell me what you think.

Customizable case, able to pick what you want
Motherboard: With SLI Support

RAM: 4 gigs (2x 2g)

Video Card: One or two 8800gts, dependent on your budget

Power Supply: 600W

CPU : Duel Core 3.0 Ghz by AMD

Keyboard and mouse included in price

Without Monitor: 1000
With Monitor: 1220

All computers coming with a 1-2 year warranty, free phone and email support.

What do you think?

P.S. All components will be thoroughly researched for support in linux before they are finalized for the end machine.

lyceum
November 12th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Yes. In fact, I was looking to buy a laptop of late, and went right to Dell. I was sad to find that I could not get an Ubuntu laptop with a 17' screen. So, I called them. They told me I could get one with Windows and install Ubuntu myself. I asked what the discount would be without Windows, and they said I had to get one with Windows for now. I decided to give them time get Gusty on them, so if they do not have one in January I will be getting a Mac and I will just put Ubuntu on it, but I will not be buying Windows.

uwishurockedthishxc
November 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM
no i have no need for a laptop at this point in my life

uwishurockedthishxc
November 12th, 2007, 11:55 PM
We're researching all the components we want to stick in our machines, Already have built the first two models of machines we're selling with everything working, just gotta work on the high end model meant for gaming, graphic design, etc.

We're thinking of this, tell me what you think.

Customizable case, able to pick what you want
Motherboard: With SLI Support

RAM: 4 gigs (2x 2g)

Video Card: One or two 8800gts, dependent on your budget

Power Supply: 600W

CPU : Duel Core 3.0 Ghz by AMD

Keyboard and mouse included in price

Without Monitor: 1000
With Monitor: 1220

All computers coming with a 1-2 year warranty, free phone and email support.

What do you think?

P.S. All components will be thoroughly researched for support in linux before they are finalized for the end machine.
sli=no go in linux and the 8800 gt is better than the gts for less money

Tavorisch
November 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM
oops, gts = GT sorry.

I've read up on a few forums that people have gotten SLI to work in Ubuntu, is it just that it doesnt run at full potential? Or is it not supported at all.

SomeGuyDude
November 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I'll never buy a desktop again, no matter what. I'd rather lose all the bells and whistles than lose the mobility of a notebook.

gn2
November 13th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I asked what the discount would be without Windows, and they said I had to get one with Windows for now.

This story may interest you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

inversekinetix
November 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM
get a quad core cpu and o/c it