PDA

View Full Version : So, they're bundling trojans on hard drives now?

FG123
November 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure they quite understood the idea behind "bundled software"...

"About 1,800 brand new 300-GB or 500-GB external hard drives made for Maxtor in Thailand were found to have trojan horse malwares pre-installed (autorun.inf and ghost.pif). When the HD is in use, these forward information on the disk to two websites in Beijing, China: www.nice8.org or www.we168.org. The article implies that authorities believe the Chinese government is behind the trojans. A later article pins down the point of infection to a subcontractor company in China. A couple of months back the Register was reporting on pre-installed malware detected on Maxtor disks sold in the Netherlands. This earlier report was downplayed by a Seagate spokesman."

(from http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/11/11/2003387202 and http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/11/2246246)

LaRoza
November 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
That is alright. At least it is better than Windows...

-grubby
November 12th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I would just reformat the hard drive before I used it

LaRoza
November 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM

I always do.

Nano Geek
November 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I would just reformat the hard drive before I used itIt seems to me that you have to. I'm sure it was just a mistake anyway. Like the trojan iPods awhile back.

-grubby
November 12th, 2007, 06:17 AM
It seems to me that you have to. I'm sure it was just a mistake anyway. Like the trojan iPods awhile back.

how can you mistakenly put trojan horses on hard drives?

Nano Geek
November 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM
how can you mistakenly put trojan horses on hard drives?http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002971.html

Tundro Walker
November 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM
If only they'd make a virus that would unknowingly tweak your Windows installation to optimize it, clear out the garbage files, clean the registry, delete other malware and trojans, then self-terminate after it's emailed itself to others and there isn't anything else screwed up on your computer.

That'd be such irony.

It'd be like the seasonal flu bug suddenly mutating to make everyone super healthy.

It's odd how we as humans, who can manipulate our surroundings, and make things better and better if we so choose, instead choose to mimic nature, where-by there is a constant struggle between something trying to survive and something trying to destroy it. Computers would work just fine if folks didn't make viruses. But, folks do. And in a way, it makes computers better, because the weak are culled from the flock and the stronger adapt to get better and more resilient.

Crazy how artificial constructs like computers are such a perfect reflection of natural selection.

n3tfury
November 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM

comedy.

J0ris
November 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM

If the trojans are put in a HPA partition, reformatting with the commonly available tools would likely not get rid of the trojans since the partition would not be detected. Such partitions are used, for instance, by Dell for their MediaDirect functionality.
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm

It seems to me that you have to. I'm sure it was just a mistake anyway. Like the trojan iPods awhile back.

It seems to me it doesn't say how this worm got on there in the first place. Besides, the intention of the 'malware' was quite different. Whereas in the case of the iPods the idea was to wreak havoc, the intention in this case was to send on information from your hard drive to those two websites. Doesn't sound like much of a mistake to me...

glupee
November 13th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I always do.
doesn't everyone :confused:

TomMK
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM

lol!! :)

aaaantoine
November 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
So I have another reason to avoid Maxtor drives at all cost. Good.

marco123
November 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
We are lucky then. They usually come pre-formatted to NTFS so we have to format them to ext3. xfs etc... before we use them. :) I did it recently with my newest external drive.

All my drives are Maxtor but I built this rig for Linux, so they were all formatted to ext3 immediately so my data would be safe.:)

SunnyRabbiera
November 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM
this has me worried as maxtor is currently owned by seagate, a company I usually trust with hard drives...