PDA

View Full Version : XO Laptop

nickburns
November 12th, 2007, 03:50 AM
The Buy-One-Give-One is tomorrow (Nov 12th)

Buy-One-Give-One here. (http://www.laptopgiving.org/)

I will be first in line to get one. Are you getting one?

scrooge_74
November 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Unless you are sending me the other one I dont think so

az
November 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I got one.

scrooge_74
November 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ok, you have one and??? How good are they? Show and tell.......!!!

az
November 12th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I got one, meaning I bought one. I woke up at six this morning to buy one.

I got one, but I haven't gotten it yet. As soon as I get it, I'll let you know.

Got it?

JetskiDude911
November 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I want to get one and play with it, but it's a little on the expensive side. The concept and idea is really cool though.

nickburns
November 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Got mine ordered up.......

can't wait to get it......

eldragon
November 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
i live in a third world country.......thanks for my XO :D

nickburns
November 13th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I'll pay you $50 dollars to give me it back.

K.Mandla
November 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I can't seem to get through the ordering system. I want to pay straight from a Paypal account, but it keeps getting kicked back and Paypal refers me to the vendor to figure out why. Anybody else having this problem?

az
November 13th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Is it available to you in Japan?

K.Mandla
November 13th, 2007, 12:55 AM
No, but I have a stateside address to ship to, and a U.S. credit card with a U.S. billing address. I suppose if it's screening my IP or something I can just get a trustworthy friend to order one for me. It's just strange that it's not working, and it refers me back OLPC. :???:

russell.h
November 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Anyone know whether Ubuntu can easily be made to run on one of these? We have a couple of earlier model ones in my computer science class (some of the students here worked on the project) and they are really pretty neat little machines from what I've seen.

gradedcheese
November 13th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Anyone know whether Ubuntu can easily be made to run on one of these? We have a couple of earlier model ones in my computer science class (some of the students here worked on the project) and they are really pretty neat little machines from what I've seen.

I don't see why it wouldn't (they just x86 Geodes), their patches are all in mainline 2.6.22 as far as I can tell (so Gutsy should have them). I'm not sure about how the 'activation' works at this point, it may or may not be a blocker. That said, I'd leave the stock setup alone, it's done quiet nicely.

http://lh6.google.com/yurovsky/RzkgZnTaMTI/AAAAAAAACAA/AdQBklzyUHU/00001.jpg?imgmax=640 (http://picasaweb.google.com/yurovsky/OLPC/photo#5132168874784600370)

On a side note, the Measure activity is very fun :)

adam.tropics
November 13th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I want to get one and play with it, but it's a little on the expensive side. The concept and idea is really cool though.

$200 of it is tax deductible..that might help.

K.Mandla
November 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
It's still not accepting my order. I've tried three times with two different browsers. They must be screening my IP.

I'll have someone in the U.S. try ordering it for me.

Chayak
November 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Very cool little laptops. The hardware is amazing in that it will sleep between keystrokes and can sleep the entire system while keeping the display up with a framebuffer and then when you touch a key or move the mouse it wakes in a tenth of a second. The wireless has been tested at 2KM yes thats 2000 meters real world on open ground meaning the mesh networking can really reach out there. The mesh itself can run even when the laptop is powered off as everything it needs is on the chip including a processor. You add all of that up and the capability to survive an eight foot drop onto concrete and you get one very impressive piece of engineering.

And yes the US shipped units will be unlocked so you can load whatever you want onto them as long as it fits within the 1gb flash an 256mb or ram.

Though mind you the file system shipped with it (can't remember what they call it) distributes wear across the memory space and minimizes writes. If you use ext3 or something else you may shorten the life of the memory quite a bit.

I got mine on order. :)

gradedcheese
November 14th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Though mind you the file system shipped with it (can't remember what they call it) distributes wear across the memory space and minimizes writes. If you use ext3 or something else you may shorten the life of the memory quite a bit.

It's JFFS2. ext3 cannot be written to a NAND Flash, while JFFS2 is a real Flash file system (YAFFS is the only other one you could use). There are technical reasons for this, but basically you'll be using JFFS2 because that's all you can use on a NAND Flash that doesn't have hardware to take care of abstracting the NAND Flash away (ie: a USB disk).

Chayak
November 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM
It's JFFS2. ext3 cannot be written to a NAND Flash, while JFFS2 is a real Flash file system (YAFFS is the only other one you could use). There are technical reasons for this, but basically you'll be using JFFS2 because that's all you can use on a NAND Flash that doesn't have hardware to take care of abstracting the NAND Flash away (ie: a USB disk).

Thanks for the info, I haven't really played with linux on flash based systems and I haven't gotten into looking into it too much yet.

phrostbyte
November 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I'm a poor college student, but I'm seriously considering buying one, or somehow getting my university to buy one. :)

zela
November 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Got mine ordered today. My girlfriend is also buying one tomorrow.
Can't wait to see how it works.
Oh, does anyone know where we can buy the solar power charger? I hear they are only like $10 (US dollars).

Griffiss
November 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Are these available in the UK? If not, any news on when/if they will be?

nickburns
November 15th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Only available in US. But I heard that you can buy one, and get it shipped to one of these 3rd party mailing places (in the usa), then they can forward it to you.

Jareth
November 15th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Here's what it says about Europe:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Give_One_Get_One

Something about logistics and laws regarding recycling.

I would be so up for getting one of these, I'm not sure wether I'd be depriving some kid for my own amusement though?
Damn my conscience!