PDA

View Full Version : How often do you open up your case?

p_quarles
November 12th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I recently had to open up a couple of my boxes. I have a long-since-shelved generic 686 (with nothing else going for it), and decided that recently purchased desktop needed a floppy drive more than a computer that I'm not using does.

Anyway, it was the first time I'd opened either machine. I've worked on others in the past, but it always seems like such a hassle to open up a computer for the first time. Figuring out where things are, how to move devices that are blocking them, having to cut through those tough plastic ties that vendors use to manage power cables . . . it's not nearly as much fan as software.

It made me curious: how often do you open up your case?

P.S.: Dell isn't exactly the BMW of the computer world, but I will say that their cases are easier to work with than any others I've had.

gn2
November 12th, 2007, 01:57 AM
If it's been recently built then fairly regularly.....

If it's working fine I leave it alone.

I build my own from parts and build/repair/upgrade PC's for others.

Usually end up inside some PC or other once a month minimum.

My current favourite case is an Antec Solo.

eph1973
November 12th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I currently use a laptop. As far as desktops go, I've always used ones that I've pretty much put together myself (except for the first one I had back in the early 90's, which a friend put together). I have had times when I did not put the screws back into the case because I opened it daily. Laptops on the other hand are a much bigger pain to play with since everything is so tight (not to mention I have a propensity to break plastic snappy things). So, I do not open up my laptop except unless I absolutely HAVE to.

FG123
November 12th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Once a month. I don't feel the need to mess with it once it's working, although blowing out the dust once in a while is a good excuse.

BradwJensen
November 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I'm always dinkin' around with my system.. So i chose "Who Needs A Case".. I hardly ever have my case door on.

They should make a little remote or a button on the case, so u click the button/remote and the case opens up then u click it again and it closes and locks making a cars *Bleep Bleep* sound. LMAO

-grubby
November 12th, 2007, 02:03 AM
only when I have a hardware problem or am upgrading hardware. Or cleaning it out

Presto123
November 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
For a while there, I was opening up my computer every month at least; but this was because I wanted to work on something. Now that I have built my own case, I don't think I will be opening it up anytime soon, simply because I have installed everything in and do NOT want to mess anything up.

bijanafx
November 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM
the desktop is a frankenstein. for 3 years i haven't had a side on the case... it over heats when i put it on!

Billy_McBong
November 12th, 2007, 02:18 AM
i try to clean out my computer once a month

D-EJ915
November 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Whenever I'm futzing around with drives and stuff, so could be a few times a day or not once for a month.

snkmad
November 12th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Actually i only open it like once in 3 months, to do some basic cleaning.
And i hope to open it the begginning of the next year, to put a new gfx card in ;)

LaRoza
November 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM
I voted one a month, but that is an estimate. I have been buying new hardware, new DVD burner, Hard disk, RAM for some time, so it gets opened more than usual. I make sure the insides are clean frequently also.

uwishurockedthishxc
November 12th, 2007, 03:57 AM
depends which computer. on my game comp i open it all the time to check stuff and upgrade things

BWF89
November 12th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Last year sometime I got a strip of USB 2.0 ports that were installed on the back.

Besides that. I'm not too sure. Maybe once or twice. But not unless something needs done.

smartboyathome
November 12th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Never, since I have a laptop. :)

santiagoward2000
November 12th, 2007, 04:00 AM
There's an option missing. In my case, every time I break something :popcorn:

Fred_E _krugar
November 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I dont have a case I made a tech bench and put mine on it.

Makes for quick and easy cleaning:)

Salpiche
November 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM
an piece of wood and some screws that's all I needed for my desktop computer.

Earthwormzim
November 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM
There's no option for, "Case is always open." ( don't even have the side panel anymore).

If the question was worded, "How often do you actually go inside the case and fidget with stuff?"...then I'd say probably about once every few months (i.e., 3-6 times per year).

the desktop is a frankenstein. for 3 years i haven't had a side on the case... it over heats when i put it on!

Yeah. me too! For me, the culprit is one of the hard drives.

inversekinetix
November 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM
i recommend the antec p180, it rocks

sp0onman
November 12th, 2007, 06:12 AM
i recommend the antec p180, it rocks

i agree. had it since it came out and its a banger of a case. i just open it to clean out the bunnies once a month. and whenever i upgrade, which i will be soon i hope.

inversekinetix
November 12th, 2007, 06:24 AM
everytime a hamster dies

santiagoward2000
November 13th, 2007, 01:31 AM
everytime a hamster dies

That's because you have a hamster living inside your computer's case and you have to clean it every time it dies?

Nymphadora
November 13th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I put once a year, but I donno... two or three times a year, really. Whenever I have an upgrade I want to make.

p_quarles
November 13th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I put once a year, but I donno... two or three times a year, really. Whenever I have an upgrade I want to make.
Yeah, I left the options fairly broad, and was thinking of the "average" over the entire time you've been a serious computer user. I voted once a year myself, even though I've opened up various boxes about eight times this particular year.

NeoLithium
November 13th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I have 3 cats, so between them and windows open quite a bit in our house, I usually open it once a week to give it a quick shot of air and dust the insides out.

prodigalson666
November 13th, 2007, 02:27 AM
All the time, I build them.

SonicSteve
November 13th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I recently had to open up a couple of my boxes. I have a long-since-shelved generic 686 (with nothing else going for it), and decided that recently purchased desktop needed a floppy drive more than a computer that I'm not using does.

Anyway, it was the first time I'd opened either machine. I've worked on others in the past, but it always seems like such a hassle to open up a computer for the first time. Figuring out where things are, how to move devices that are blocking them, having to cut through those tough plastic ties that vendors use to manage power cables . . . it's not nearly as much fan as software.

P.S.: Dell isn't exactly the BMW of the computer world, but I will say that their cases are easier to work with than any others I've had.

One big reason I dislike dell cases is that they use proprietary power supplies and proprietary case connectors (IDE led, Pwr Led etc). Unless I can be assured that they're power supply has been changed to the standard pinout I won't touch one. It makes the case nigh unusable once the power supply or mainboard dies.

gn2
November 13th, 2007, 02:41 AM
One big reason I dislike dell cases is that they use proprietary power supplies

They stopped doing that a while ago.
The pin-outs could be easily swapped on the older ones anyway.

gn2
November 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
everytime a hamster dies

That'll be quite a few hamsters. I believe you need one per core?

SonicSteve
November 13th, 2007, 02:50 AM
They stopped doing that a while ago.
The pin-outs could be easily swapped on the older ones anyway.

Are you positive about this? I doubt that I would buy dell over buying my own parts anyway but... it makes a difference since I fix computers.

inversekinetix
November 13th, 2007, 07:45 AM
i agree. had it since it came out and its a banger of a case. i just open it to clean out the bunnies once a month. and whenever i upgrade, which i will be soon i hope.

I love the filters behind the swing grill doors on the front. Even when the main door is closed theres loads of airflow.

gn2
November 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Are you positive about this? I doubt that I would buy dell over buying my own parts anyway but... it makes a difference since I fix computers.

I have replaced the PSU in a couple of older P3 Dells using this guide: http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

I have also swapped the PSU in a two year old P4 Dell with a standard off-the-shelf PSU with no modifications required.

Proceed at your own risk though...........

tech9
November 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM

all the time... I am always rebuilding PCs or tinkering around

EXCiD3
November 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Well...it would probably help if i needed or more likely *could* upgrade my laptop :p Ive got most of the things maxed since i bought it...But once I get my desktop...im probably just going to leave the side panel off. lol Cant wait to get that, ive been stuck with just a laptop for about a year now and i dont have a desktop...gonna make that my mythbox :)

EXCiD3
November 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Dell isn't exactly the BMW of the computer world, but I will say that their cases are easier to work with than any others I've had.

Id have to agree there. Many cases are just a pain to use but some such as the no tools required ones are just handy to have. I think ill look into getting either a tooless case or maybe buy a broken dell for the case ;)

SonicSteve
November 14th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I have replaced the PSU in a couple of older P3 Dells using this guide: http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

I have also swapped the PSU in a two year old P4 Dell with a standard off-the-shelf PSU with no modifications required.

Proceed at your own risk though...........

I understand, thanks for the info!