PDA

View Full Version : Need some Apache, MySQL, PHP advice.

Griff
November 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I'm very new to sql and php. To get started I could use a little newbie advice.

First, what I need to do: I need to create a website that is able to take input from users and query a database for the results. This brings me to a lamp. To install everything I need to get started I should only need to do the following right?

sudo tasksel install lamp-server
After this is installed what do I need to add to my startup so everything is running on boot?

Next, I looked over phpmyadmin and it looks pretty useful. Would I be able to use this outside my network to work on the database/everything else?

Thanks,
Griff

Kadrus
November 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM
sudo apt-get install apache2

Then type in your url:
http://localhost
to see if it works
For Php5

sudo apt-get install php5
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Test if it is installed correctly:

gksudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php
Insert this into the file

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
Save it
then open
http://localhost/testphp.php

That it is for installing Apache and PHP5..
To install MySql for Apache type:

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-auth-mysql
That's pretty much it for creating databases..hope that helped :)

mkoehler
November 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Griff,

As for phpmyadmin, yes, you can use it from outside your network in order to visually run SQL commands on the database. However, in order to make your webserver visible from outside of the network, you will need to (at a minimum) forward all requests on port 80 (or 8080, depending on your apache2 configuration) to the internal (network) IP of the server. If you need more help on getting this set up, I'd be happy to help you.

Cheers!

Hopworks
November 11th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I'm very new to sql and php. To get started I could use a little newbie advice.

First, what I need to do: I need to create a website that is able to take input from users and query a database for the results. This brings me to a lamp. To install everything I need to get started I should only need to do the following right?

sudo tasksel install lamp-server
After this is installed what do I need to add to my startup so everything is running on boot?

Next, I looked over phpmyadmin and it looks pretty useful. Would I be able to use this outside my network to work on the database/everything else?

Thanks,
Griff
Is it really that easy??
Sigh
Something must have went wrong with my LAMP install when I installed Ubuntu 7.04 Server. Nothing I was supposed to be preconfigured with was there, so I did all the LAMP components separately via apt-get and spm. I was real new to Linux then, still am but not as new, so I probably didn't do something I needed to. Anyway, lots of configuring later, and using webmin, I'm where I want to be with a LAMP on my LAN.

But it was NEVER as easy as
sudo tasksel install lamp-server for me. I learned a lot doing it manually though, and it was a fun ride. :)

LaRoza
November 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Is it really that easy??

But it was NEVER as easy as
sudo tasksel install lamp-server for me. I learned a lot doing it manually though, and it was a fun ride. :)

Starting with Feisty, yes.

Griff
November 12th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Alright, it all looks good right now. I'm sure I'll have issues soon. Thanks so far, everyone!
--Griff

Griff
November 12th, 2007, 01:07 AM
How do I run phpmyadmin? I installed it but it isn't an application option and
phpmyadmindoesn't work either.

aks44
November 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM
phpMyAdmin is web-based. On stock installs it is located at http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

Griff
November 12th, 2007, 01:25 AM
phpMyAdmin is web-based. On stock installs it is located at http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
Not there for me. I just installed through apt. :confused:

aks44
November 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Check in /var/www/ there should be a symlink to it (which should point to /usr/share/phpmyadmin/).

If it isn't there, your install probably went wrong at some point.

Griff
November 12th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Check in /var/www/ there should be a symlink to it (which should point to /usr/share/phpmyadmin/).

If it isn't there, your install probably went wrong at some point.
Something seems to have gone wrong then I suppose. There's no symlink in /var/www/ or a /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ directory. I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall.
edit: no luck, still no where to be found

nbv4
November 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM
sudo apt-get install apache2

Then type in your url:
http://localhost
to see if it works
For Php5

sudo apt-get install php5
sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Test if it is installed correctly:

gksudo gedit /var/www/testphp.php
Insert this into the file

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
Save it
then open
http://localhost/testphp.php

That it is for installing Apache and PHP5..
To install MySql for Apache type:

That's pretty much it for creating databases..hope that helped :)

How do you install mysql for PHP? I followed your steps, but now whenever I try to run a php script with mysql commands, I get:

Resolving a Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect()

which google leads me to believe I need to install something to get PHP to understand mysql stuff.

EDIT: nevermind, I found the answer: sudo apt-get install php5-mysql

Kadrus
November 12th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Not there for me. I just installed through apt. :confused:

Try this :

then type this :

sudo apt-get install php5-mysql

then this:

sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin

The get PHP working with MYSql :

gksudo gedit /etc/php<version>/apache2/php.ini

Uncomment the extension that looks like this ";extension=mysql.so"
It should become like

extension=mysql.so

Save the file
type

http://localhost/phpmyadmin

If it runs.. Party :)..
Hope that worked..

Kadrus
November 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM
How do you install mysql for PHP? I followed your steps, but now whenever I try to run a php script with mysql commands, I get:

which google leads me to believe I need to install something to get PHP to understand mysql stuff.

Or if you want follow the steps in the post below..but I think it worked anyway because your answer is included down there too :):)

Kadrus
November 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM

And to test if PHP is working type this...I assume you already have..but just in case:

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","yourusername","yourpassword");
if (!$con)
{
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}

?>

Griff
November 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Well, I've tried everything mentioned above about getting phpmyadmin working, but I am still unable to run it. I know php is working because my testphp.php file works properly. I installed phpmyadmin twice but I still can't find where it installs to. Any ideas on where it is or how to get it working? This is really frustrating since all the other pieces seem to be working but this useful tool isn't.
Thanks,
Griff

Kadrus
November 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well, I've tried everything mentioned above about getting phpmyadmin working, but I am still unable to run it. I know php is working because my testphp.php file works properly. I installed phpmyadmin twice but I still can't find where it installs to. Any ideas on where it is or how to get it working? This is really frustrating since all the other pieces seem to be working but this useful tool isn't.
Thanks,
Griff

Euuh..Griff..most of the time when it doesn't work I think it's because of the part where you have to comment the thing
Check it one more time and make sure it looks like this:

extension=mysql.so

It should look exactly like this in Gedit..

Try again and hopefully it will work :)

Griff
November 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ok. I found where phpmyadmin installed to, which is /etc/phpmyadmin. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Kadrus
November 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Ok. I found where phpmyadmin installed to, which is /etc/phpmyadmin. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Did you go to

I think it's supposed to work..

Griff
November 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Did you go to

I think it's supposed to work..
I did, it doesn't work. There's supposed to be a symlink in /var/www which I don't have which makes http://localhost/phpmyadmin work. Problem is I don't know how to make said link or what it links to. :(

smartbei
November 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
See http://www.ss64.com/bash/ln.html

You want a symbolic link, so use the -s option.

As far as I know it links to /etc/phpmyadmin

aks44
November 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
*If* you have /usr/share/phpmydamin/ then you can make the link yourself:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ /var/www/phpmyadmin

As far as I know it links to /etc/phpmyadmin
On my comp (Feisty) it links to /usr/share/phpmyadmin/
/etc/phpmyadmin/ just contains config files (as it should), not the portal itself.

EDIT: at this point, I would advise you to uninstall *everything* related to apache / php / mysql / phpmyadmin (including manually removing the relevant config folders in /etc/) and try tasksel again. As far as I'm concerned it always worked fine on Feisty, so unless the Gutsy packages are broken there is no reason that it shouldn't work.

Kadrus
November 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I did, it doesn't work. There's supposed to be a symlink in /var/www which I don't have which makes http://localhost/phpmyadmin work. Problem is I don't know how to make said link or what it links to. :(

Unfortunately I don't think I can help you anymore :(..
All I can say is retry those steps and good luck..
Try Searching it in Google..maybe something will come up..
Hopefully..

Griff
November 13th, 2007, 10:04 PM
*If* you have /usr/share/phpmydamin/ then you can make the link yourself:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ /var/www/phpmyadmin

/etc/phpmyadmin/ just contains config files (as it should), not the portal itself.

Creating that link worked. I was able to open up phpmyadmin and log in. Thanks for all the help!
Griff

smartbei
November 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM

My mistake. Ok, too many mistakes (minor ones at least) in a row. From now on, will only post from the Ubuntu computer at home from which I can verify these things :).

EDIT: Glad to see it worked out for you Griff.

aks44
November 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
My mistake. Ok, too many mistakes (minor ones at least) in a row. From now on, will only post from the Ubuntu computer at home from which I can verify these things :).
I tend to be quite useless if I can't verify things, so kudos to you since your "mistakes" are quite minor indeed IMO for someone who is working from the top of his/her head.

Creating that link worked. I was able to open up phpmyadmin and log in. Thanks for all the help!
Glad to see you finally sorted this out. :)

kefler
November 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Setting up a server in ubuntu server 7.04 in "english" terms.

In a terminal window type in or copy and paste(use shift+ins to paste in a terminal window/command line environment)

sudo aptitude install apache2 mysql-server mysql-client php5 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-auth-mysql phpmyadmin

[enter your root password]

by default, this will be widely available to the web assuming you're not running through a router.

if you're a nubby to network as well and have no idea what a router is,..

type in:

sudo ifconfig

this will display a lot of mumbo jumbo(all your network interfaces and the ipv6+ipv4 addresses assigned to them)

the one you want is probably the last one which is connected to the "net"

the second last or laste line should be the ipv4 IP address(ignore the technical mumbo jumbo if you don't understand it) and just look for a 192.168.x.x
if you find it, then you're running through a router and you can ask the previous guy for help with port forwarding, if not, then everything should work fine after the install.

As for accessing your phpmyadmin outside of your network, I strongly suggest against this as phpmyadmin does NOT have any ban rules set for password attempts to your mysql server, while accessing your phpmyadmin page outside of your network is easly done with 1 command, there is still the security issue.

If you absolutely need to access your server configurations outside of your local network, try cpanel or webmin(i suggest webmin as I had trouble installing cpanel on ubuntu.)

For webmin, google webmin, it should be the first link, download the debian package to your desktop, and execute the follow command:

cd Desktop
sudo dpkg -i webmin-1.380_all.deb

When you go to install webmin from a fresh install of ubuntu it will scream about the missing dependencies, once this does, it'll prompt you to remove webmin, just quit(enter "q" without quotes and press enter)

with that done, the list of dependencies should still be on screen.
take note of these and run:

sudo aptitude install ___________
for each of the dependency

after you have installed all the dependencies(after the very last one)
webmin setup will kick back up and continue with it's installation by itself.

The webmin setup should require no or very little input from you.
once the webmin install is done, navigate your browser to
https://localhost:10000 , accept the certificate (make sure it's from your server) and login with your account details(your current user) and voila a fully functional remote administration system that is password protected and can do more than just allow you to admin your mysql databases =) and it's safe !!!

I hope this wasn't too confusing >.< I'm new to linux so I know it can be confusing. i'm pretty sure everything i've said here was in plain enough english :confused::lolflag:

aks44
November 15th, 2007, 05:33 PM
sudo aptitude install apache2 mysql-server mysql-client php5 php5-mysql libapache2-mod-auth-mysql phpmyadmin

IIRC the apache2 package installs by default the apache2-mpm-worker package (at least on Feisty, it may have changed with Gutsy but I guess not), which *doesn't* work with libapache2-mod-php5 (required by the php5 package).

What you need to use is apache2-mpm-prefork.

So instead of manually install packages using aptitude / apt-get, better use tasksel which will *correctly* install whatever is needed.

kefler
November 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
No, you are correct, it hasn't changed in gusty, but like I said I'm new to linux and I'm still finding my way around the system. I dislikes using things if I don't know what they do, ie. batch jobs (ie. tasksel) if I did not write it myself or I know exactly what it will do/install (with the exception of apt-get/aptitude which handles most of your required dependencies for you. I tried doing this manually in redhat and it was a nightmere, so never again will I try to do the job of apt.)

With that said, weather you use apt-get or aptitude, when apt finally gets to install php5 and reconfiguring your apache confs and what not, the apache2-mpm-worker package originally installed with apache2 will get removed and the dependencies for php5 will be installed.

I came over to linux without a shred of information on how to actually use it and so far, a lot of the things I used to do in windows are easier done in linux. Installing software now only requires me to enter a command or two(most of the time unless it requires configuration+compiling) where as windows there is an "intuitive setup process which I wish weren't so "intuitive" and more streamlined like apt =) So far, aptitude and apt-get haven't failed me yet, so until they do, I will not be trying anything new to install the packages I want(personal preference and not recommended to others, exploration is the key to learning after all) Ok, there was a point to this little rant but i forgot it part way through....

aks44
November 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
when apt finally gets to install php5 and reconfiguring your apache confs and what not, the apache2-mpm-worker package originally installed with apache2 will get removed and the dependencies for php5 will be installed.

Whoops. libapache2-mod-php5 indeed requires apache2-mpm-prefork which conflicts with apache2-mpm-worker. Thanks for the correction!

Mr K
November 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
ok... I've done all you mumbo jumbo stuff but I still can't view php pages on my apache.. When i open them in localhost apache just wants me to download them. I really don't understand what is missing!

Kadrus
November 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
ok... I've done all you mumbo jumbo stuff but I still can't view php pages on my apache.. When i open them in localhost apache just wants me to download them. I really don't understand what is missing!
Are you sure you are opening them from localhost?
Because if you wrote a PHP code and saved it on your desktop that will happen..but if you saved it in the directory /var/www/ i don't think it will..
Weird...