PDA

View Full Version : Good digital camera?

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm planning on buying a digital camera for someone for the holidays, and I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion for a good digital camera under $300 that works fine under Ubuntu.

popch
November 11th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I suggest that you carefully think about what 'using' a digital camera 'with Linux' would consist of.

I have two digital cameras. Using the USB interface, one works with neither Windows nor Linux, the other one with both, but only as an USB memory.

In the end, I found it much more comfortable and faster just to put the camera's memory into the PC. Besides, the CF adapter is much less cumbersome to put into your baggage than the special USB cable needed by some cameras, and much easier replaced if lost.

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I suggest that you carefully think about what 'using' a digital camera 'with Linux' would consist of.

I have two digital cameras. Using the USB interface, one works with neither Windows nor Linux, the other one with both, but only as an USB memory.

In the end, I found it much more comfortable and faster just to put the camera's memory into the PC. Besides, the CF adapter is much less cumbersome to put into your baggage than the special USB cable needed by some cameras, and much easier replaced if lost.
OK, I thought it would be detected as a mass storage device in the first place.

popch
November 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Having said that, I still love very much the Samsung NV3. It's the one which works with Linux (and even Windows). However, it comes with a somewhat bulky cable and unusual connector on the camera's side. You need that cable not only to attach the camera to the PC but also to charge the battery.

The camera has a decent look and does very nice pictures for its size. I take it with me practically all the time.

FG123
November 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I have a Canon PowerShot A620. It works the same way in both Windows and Linux - when you plug in the USB connector and set the camera to "playback" mode, the system detects it as a camera and starts the Camera wizard relevant to the system.

adam.tropics
November 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I have a Canon PowerShot A620. It works the same way in both Windows and Linux - when you plug in the USB connector and set the camera to "playback" mode, the system detects it as a camera and starts the Camera wizard relevant to the system.

I have the Canon A640, and that works perfecty in Linux the same way as yours....very impressed. My only complaint with this camera is the documentation....you need a PhD to read it!

thx11381974
November 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I bought a Casio EXILIM 10.1MP last Christmas. It not only takes great pictures, It takes video that's as good as a digital video camera. You get about 45 minutes out of 2gb sd card.

Heres a link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7865125&type=product&id=1142301193642

Depressed Man
November 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM

Same. My laptop also has a card reader and I get mixed results with that. I get mixed results in Vista (depending on the SD card I'm using as well). But plugging it in always works for me.

DeathAxe
November 11th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I use a Canon PowerShot S5 IS. It works fine on any OS and takes awesome picture.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15207
Highly recommended!

Dixon Bainbridge
November 11th, 2007, 10:20 PM
One of the best camera review sites on the web:

dpreview (http://www.dpreview.com/)

FuturePilot
November 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have an HP Photosmart R818 and it works perfectly with F-Spot and Gthumb. I can also switch it into USB Mass Storage mode and it will show up as a removable drive on the desktop.

tubasoldier
November 11th, 2007, 10:59 PM
You can't go wrong with a Canon. I have a Canon S3 IS. Similar to the S5 IS. not as many features and a lower megampixel, but nonetheless great
Don't look at only the MegaPixels, but also the sensor.
STAY AWAY FROM KODAK! They are terrible and take grainy pictures no matter the megapixel size

As far as "working with" linux. if all else fails you can always get a cf card reader. Most newer cameras use PTP and therefore should be able to be mounted as a usb drive.