PDA

View Full Version : The invasion has begun (Ubuntu @ Wal-Mart)

blueturtl
November 11th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Stumbled on this (http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/200-everex-gree.html) today. I guess the invasion of consumer-space is commencing. :)

BWF89
November 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I just got back from Walmart.

If I had known I'd have looked for it.

andhar
November 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Unfortunatly I don't think these will sell all that much and if they do , the OS will get replaced by a pirated copy of XP or something similar.

The average user doesn't want to take the time to learn a new OS, even tho it looks simple enough. I am wondering if gOS includes mulitmedia codecs such as divx or xvid or even the ability to play mp3s out of the box.

It's sad to say but if you remember years ago someone tried this and it didn't work.

zero-9376
November 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Unfortunatly I don't think these will sell all that much and if they do , the OS will get replaced by a pirated copy of XP or something similar.

The average user doesn't want to take the time to learn a new OS, even tho it looks simple enough. I am wondering if gOS includes mulitmedia codecs such as divx or xvid or even the ability to play mp3s out of the box.

It's sad to say but if you remember years ago someone tried this and it didn't work.

The versions on the walmart pcs have the codecs but the one you download from the site does not. I think they could have a market but most people rely on their geek friend/relative to install and show them the basics, if that person is a windows only user they will probably install xp

n3tfury
November 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
this has been done to death. do a quick search next time.

aysiu
November 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I don't know any average users who know how to install XP themselves.

23meg
November 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM
The average user doesn't want to take the time to learn a new OS, even tho it looks simple enough.

No, the "average user" has no concept of an OS. If the thing that runs on the computer is simple enough and works, they'll use it and not care what it is, as long as things work.

andhar
November 12th, 2007, 01:00 AM
only problem with that is when they need to install software umm what then.. it unfortunatly is a windows centric world and thats not going to change anytime soon.

it's cool that companies are starting to market linux but its not for the normal person. Case and point my gf didn't even know how to shut her wireless off on her laptop till she met me (she is a pre-med student).

inversekinetix
November 12th, 2007, 02:43 AM
This is great, but I hope proper support comes with it. I've had linux for only 2 weeks, it installed fine after fighting with random drive name allocations and grub writing boot to the wrong drives.
My hardware worked out of the box, not a problem at all, however there are loads of minor problems that are taking too much of my time to fix.

Present problem = restarting my computer causes complete loss of other language input. If Id paid for this I would be livid. Being as I didnt I cant complain, but it limits my productivity and causes me to use revert to windows.

23meg
November 12th, 2007, 02:48 AM
only problem with that is when they need to install software umm what then.. it unfortunatly is a windows centric world and thats not going to change anytime soon.

This $200 computer is not targeted at people who will need Windows-specific software. It's designed as an appliance with all the basic software its target audience is expected to need built in.

andhar
November 12th, 2007, 03:46 AM
sighs ok, this isn't an arguement I was just pointing out certain things but I am out numbered here. Yes it's something to be excited about but keep in mind it might fail like the other ones before it.

picpak
November 13th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Not only is this sold out, it's US-only. Instead I ordered the $199 PC at thelinuxstore.ca (http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=1431) (but I upped the RAM).

inversekinetix
November 13th, 2007, 05:16 AM
the base price is for a case. psu. mb. cpu and ram. I can't find any reference to what hardware is used. You could put a better system together yourself for less.

VChief
November 14th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Don't know if anyone has seen the reviews on Wal-Mart's site: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allReviews.do?product_id=7754614

Chrisj303
November 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

But then again, I'm a snob :)

popch
November 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM
the base price is for a case. psu. mb. cpu and ram. I can't find any reference to what hardware is used. You could put a better system together yourself for less.

Please show a component list with prices that shows how you would put a better system together for less money.

weaver4
November 15th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Here is the board for the unit if you want to order it.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001

MotherBoard $60
Case $50 with 200w ps
Memory $35
Optical Drive $35
Hard Drive $40
Keyboard $12
Mouse $10

hmm...I'm over

It does look like the reviews are very positive and most of the reviewers were keeping GOS on it and not installing Windows.