PDA

View Full Version : Cool microsoft website

esaym
November 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/default.mspx

Amazing! :lolflag:

-grubby
November 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM
nice job for Microsoft spreading the fud around.
here's my favorite quote:

SWISS
“Windows Server has given us the reliability to grow our online services and differentiate ourselves from the competition. With Linux, we didn’t get the reliability or flexibility we needed.”
— Frank Meyer, CIO, SWISS
How can Linux not give you the flexibility you need!? That doesn't even make sense! You can directly edit the source!

FuturePilot
November 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM
nice job for Microsoft spreading the fud around.
here's my favorite quote:

How can Linux not give you the flexibility you need! That doesn't even make sense! You can directly edit the source!

Haha true. If Linux was any more flexible it might break:lolflag:

Spike-X
November 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Actually, the more flexible something is, the less likely it is to...

*looks around*

...what?

HermanAB
November 11th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Well, windows probably still is best for clueless users who barely know the difference between a single click and a double click. Linux is too complex for them, since some things require a triple click...

samjh
November 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
*shrug*

Microsoft isn't the only company who knows about using success stories for marketing.

Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com/solutions/successstories/all/

Novell: http://www.novell.com/linux/whysle10.html

Sun: http://www.sun.com/customers/index.xml?t=product

IBM: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/success/cssdb.nsf/topstoriesFM?OpenForm&Site=corp&cty=en_us

osxcapades
November 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Well, windows probably still is best for clueless users who barely know the difference between a single click and a double click. Linux is too complex for them, since some things require a triple click...

Linux distributions are generally either far too complex for average desktop users or ruined by serious bugs. The only exceptions to this rule that I know of are Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS.

Sp4cedOut
November 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Microsoft is basically doing what every other server company is doing.

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I've read it, and again, I'll give it to MS for convincing people by being extremely vague.

SomeGuyDude
November 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is. MS has a service and they're advertising it as best as they can.

People act like MS is the Death Star and exists solely to invade peoples' PCs so they can make them crash and then laugh while stealing from orphanages and kicking puppies. It's ridiculous.

I don't use Windows any more, and doubt I'll ever go back, but it's not out of some asinine hatred of Microsoft, I just happen to like Ubuntu better.

tashmooclam
November 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks, I got a laff! Who's that dude with the glasses, and what did they do to Pan, the guy in the Office for Mac ads?
Someday they'll have an ad with a guy saying "I liked my iMac, but I couldn't play solitaire on it, so I went back to Windows."
You'd think Microsoft would be satisfied just making lousy products, without spreading FUD and lies.

zakeen
November 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure what the problem is. MS has a service and they're advertising it as best as they can.

People act like MS is the Death Star and exists solely to invade peoples' PCs so they can make them crash and then laugh while stealing from orphanages and kicking puppies. It's ridiculous.

I don't use Windows any more, and doubt I'll ever go back, but it's not out of some asinine hatred of Microsoft, I just happen to like Ubuntu better.

Im with you. MS are there because they have done it well. I would rather things go as they are going now for a complete winner. No way I want apple to win. MS I dont mind. But Im happy with MS being out in front while I use Ubuntu.

samjh
November 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
The reality is, those companies featured on Microsoft's FUD campaigns have assessed the merits of using a Windows-based system versus Linux-based ones, and have decided that Windows-based system with Microsoft products work best for them.

All those who mock pro-Microsoft testimonials need to be aware that they do not run those companies' IT systems. Respect what the CIOs and IT managers of those companies have decided, because they are likely to have some pretty good reasons for picking Microsoft over a Linux stack, even if those reasons are purely driven by marketing.

What the Linux community should really be doing is asking why those companies are picking Microsoft, finding some common reasons why Microsoft is being chosen, and figure out how Linux and FOSS-based enterprise systems can close the gap.

One thing that I've noticed with almost every testimonial is how the CIO and IT managers harp on about Microsoft's integration and support. Those companies tend to have operated hybrid systems with haphazard sets of Unix, Netware, and other servers and software cobbled together. No wonder they are impressed by Microsoft's offering of Windows Server, MS SQL Server, MS Office, and Visual Studio! Clearly Microsoft's enterprise systems integrate with each other better than FOSS-based systems, such as LAMP. So how does the Linux and FOSS community fix this?

Be constructive, not dismissive.

n3tfury
November 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM

yep, looks like a typical advert to me. hey OP, if it was legal would you start scanning ads from PC mags too?

n3tfury
November 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The reality is, those companies featured on Microsoft's FUD campaigns have assessed the merits of using a Windows-based system versus Linux-based ones, and have decided that Windows-based system with Microsoft products work best for them.

All those who mock pro-Microsoft testimonials need to be aware that they do not run those companies' IT systems. Respect what the CIOs and IT managers of those companies have decided, because they are likely to have some pretty good reasons for picking Microsoft over a Linux stack, even if those reasons are purely driven by marketing.

What the Linux community should really be doing is asking why those companies are picking Microsoft, finding some common reasons why Microsoft is being chosen, and figure out how Linux and FOSS-based enterprise systems can close the gap.

One thing that I've noticed with almost every testimonial is how the CIO and IT managers harp on about Microsoft's integration and support. Those companies tend to have operated hybrid systems with haphazard sets of Unix, Netware, and other servers and software cobbled together. No wonder they are impressed by Microsoft's offering of Windows Server, MS SQL Server, MS Office, and Visual Studio! Clearly Microsoft's enterprise systems integrate with each other better than FOSS-based systems, such as LAMP. So how does the Linux and FOSS community fix this?

but you see, that just makes too much sense for most people around here that see the need for Linux to "rule".

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM

As I said, they are the masters at being extremely vague. You can read what they said about RH in a tiny article and then give it at on the spot, or you can read the entire "Why Microsoft is Better" link and come to a conclusion from there.

They are only specific on the greatness of their software, excluding the downfalls, while only giving the "Downfalls" of Linux, in a tiny, little article, where it still is not fully explained.

Vitamin-Carrot
November 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Microsoft Kicks Puppies?

I Want Ubuntu To Kick Puppies Too!!!

:lolflag:

ellis rowell
November 11th, 2007, 07:51 PM
As I said, they are the masters at being extremely vague. You can read what they said about RH in a tiny article and then give it at on the spot, or you can read the entire "Why Microsoft is Better" link and come to a conclusion from there.

They are only specific on the greatness of their software, excluding the downfalls, while only giving the "Downfalls" of Linux, in a tiny, little article, where it still is not fully explained.

MS are masters at the art of talking up their products. They have made (or should i say Purloined) billions, that is their purpose in life.

No version of free Linux has this aim in life, so will never compete with MS. Those that charge for their version of Linux cannot hope to compete either for the money or resources which MS has available. I still keep a laptop with XP on it to run programs or peripherals which Linux does seem able to do. It has wifi but I shall probably disable it when they no longer support XP. It will then be used as a front end for printers, scanners and certain software.

Sp4cedOut
November 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM

What do you expect them to do, go through a long list of their benefits and disadvantages? Seriously, it's called advertising.

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
What do you expect them to do, go through a long list of their benefits and disadvantages? Seriously, it's called advertising.
Yes, I know. I've taken Marketing courses. I just find it somewhat funny.

Can+~
November 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
COMPARE, look how the actual website, and the old website (24th August 07)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/CanXp/07-08-24.jpg

Yes, I took this picture just to show you how fake this web is, The "Featured stories" never change, and they only have like 10 success stories, HAH.

mysticrider92
November 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Linux distributions are generally either far too complex for average desktop users or ruined by serious bugs. The only exceptions to this rule that I know of are Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS.

That is why you can get a well-trained IT department, so that if someone does happen to mess up your Linux system (which will not mess itself up), it can be fixed easily.

As others have pointed out, MS is not the only company to spread rumors about products to sell them. They are just the best at that.

toupeiro
November 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I ranted about this site a month or so ago. It is completely baseless and ridiculous.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 11th, 2007, 10:18 PM

:)

rorestuff
November 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Working in an office where we use both, I have to say that Linux is way easier from an admin perspective. But I can't imagine how hard it'd be to make an entire office use Linux! Windows is a standard, since people can use it, it's easier for an office to use Windows.

A comparison biased the other way :)
http://comparati.com/4-Linux-vs-Windows