PDA

View Full Version : A real 3D Desktop.

Sunnz
November 11th, 2007, 06:08 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=gZW0d3nLyTk

Something that Ubuntu can work towards!!

-grubby
November 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
IT would definately be cool but is it really needed?

santiagoward2000
November 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
is that really needed. IT would definately be cool but is it really needed?

In that way... Was Compiz-Fusion really needed? Well, maybe it was a little more needed than this...

LaRoza
November 11th, 2007, 06:19 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=gZW0d3nLyTk

Something that Ubuntu can work towards!!

Now imagine Ubuntu with Vista in Virtualbox, a Tux image file in /home....

-grubby
November 11th, 2007, 06:20 AM
In that way... Was Compiz-Fusion really needed? Well, maybe it was a little more needed than this...

I'll have to disagree with myself. I guess you are right

~LoKe
November 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
That's just a flash video...(the originals are better).

As cool as it looks, it's completely impractical, and to be honest, probably impossible to execute.

Can+~
November 11th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Compiz fusion is essential. Most OS vendors (MSFT, Apple) use the eye-candy as a selling feature.

I 'converted' people into ubuntu JUST by showing them the compiz fusion eye candy, not even the practical ones.

Normal users don't care about their software has that or other invisible feature, they want eye candy. That's why some people still prefer Aero.

DoctorMO
November 11th, 2007, 06:43 AM
That's why some people still prefer Aero.

Blue screens, Red screens, Black screens, security warnings and endless yes/no permission questions. All in eye popping 3D!!

santiagoward2000
November 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Compiz fusion is essential. Most OS vendors (MSFT, Apple) use the eye-candy as a selling feature.

I 'converted' people into ubuntu JUST by showing them the compiz fusion eye candy, not even the practical ones.

Normal users don't care about their software has that or other invisible feature, they want eye candy. That's why some people still prefer Aero.

So... wouldn't this "feature" help you converting people too?

Sunnz
November 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Sometime ago people probably thought big number machines are impractical too, and now, like what, just about everybody is getting a laptop.

It is only impractical to those with out visionary.

n3tfury
November 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Sometime ago people probably thought big number machines are impractical too, and now, like what, just about everybody is getting a laptop.

It is only impractical to those with out visionary.

please explain how something like this is even remotely practical.

mcduck
November 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I've tried numerous 3D user interfaces for computers, and none of them has actually been anywhere close to practical. Things that you do in real life don't always work best done the same way with computers. Most of the time that kind of stuff just makes your work slower, and quickly becomes annoying however cool it may look at first.

As long as we don't have 3D displays, and some gloves or something to control these interfaces they simply don't work. And even with such technology the ways we use computers now are still the best and easiest ways to do things.

I watched that video, and it's a cool piece of animation but has absolutely no practical use unless you belong to those people who like the 'clippy' in Microsoft Office.. And even then it wouldn't be any use, just fun.