PDA

View Full Version : Tried Kubuntu

Snub_Fighter
November 11th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I'll never try a kde environment again, It kept crashing any time id try to start adept or their IM program mounting didn't work, and to top it off the file manager is horrible one thing I love about pcman that I was hoping for was the quick find part. the part where you can just type and it will find the file with that name in the directory. That was a huge disappointing experince.

LaRoza
November 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM
That is odd, I don't use KDE often, but I have never had trouble with it.

You can install it on Ubuntu with
sudo aptitude install kde-core, it may work better than Kubuntu.

If you want a really good experience, use Fluxbox like me :-)

-grubby
November 11th, 2007, 05:33 AM

I recommend installing it that way too

Xanatos Craven
November 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I'll never try a kde environment again, It kept crashing any time id try to start adept or their IM program mounting didn't work, and to top it off the file manager is horrible one thing I love about pcman that I was hoping for was the quick find part. the part where you can just type and it will find the file with that name in the directory. That was a huge disappointing experince.
Konqueror is an excellent file manager with that feature, and used to be the default in Kubuntu (and still is in other KDE3 distros) until 7.10. You can still set it as default and scrap Dolphin.

Also, don't get the wrong idea about KDE just because of Kubuntu. Canonical only employs one guy to work on Kubuntu and, no matter what they claim, only cares about GNOME, so everyone that uses Kubuntu gets the idea that's the default KDE experience. I recommend using a KDE-centric distro instead like openSuSE or PCLinuxOS, but you could just use kde-core instead and replace adept with synaptic if you want to stick with Ubuntu (even though KDE has no real future in Ubuntu).

stimpack
November 11th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Konqueror can do quick find.... there is not much Konq cannot do.

aks44
November 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM
That was a huge disappointing experince.

If it was Kubuntu 7.10, you're not the only one being disappointed. In my experience Gutsy is really terrible, but Feisty works like a charm so better stick with it until Hardy is released (if they manage to make it decent this time).

Incense
November 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Kubuntu is buggy, but I've never had those problems in it. Maybe do a fresh install and try again. I would also agree though that there are other distros who do a much better job at KDE (OpenSUSE being my choice). KDE really is a good DE, full of amazing apps.

fuscia
November 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
i dumped kubuntu and am now using kde-core on xubuntu.

miggols99
November 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
It's very sad that people use Kubuntu and think "so this is the KDE? I'll never use it again!" because KDE in Kubuntu IMO is horrible. I don't really like PCLOS, because it was very unstable for me..Mandriva is very nice though. I'm using KDEmod with Arch Linux, and it is stable, fast and looks great. For someone like you I'd recommend Mandriva or openSUSE.

Extreme Coder
November 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
IMO, Canonical should just forget about Kubuntu or Xubuntu, and let REAL KDE distros like OpenSUSE or Mandriva do the KDE job ;) Kubuntu is just making people hate KDE.

Incense
November 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
IMO, Canonical should just forget about Kubuntu or Xubuntu, and let REAL KDE distros like OpenSUSE or Mandriva do the KDE job ;) Kubuntu is just making people hate KDE.

I don't know so much about that, Xubuntu is actually really nice.

DoorGunner
November 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Thats kind of funny..... I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu and love it....I have the gusty version and it has worked great..... my webcam worked out of the box..... every program i wanted to install did......

One think i do agree is that PCLINUXOS is not as stable as they claim. It has some nice features. However, Dont ever step outside the box ..... extremely frowned upon there.....

asimon
November 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
IMO, Canonical should just forget about Kubuntu or Xubuntu
Kubuntu is a community project. Canonical can take the name, but it can't kill the project. It's free software, remember?

Canonical just pays J.R., a single developer. Don't ignore the work of all the other contributors. It's very disrespectful to do as if they don't exist.

asimon
November 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I recommend using a KDE-centric distro instead like openSuSE or PCLinuxOS
That sounds as if Kubuntu is not KDE centric.

, but you could just use kde-core instead and replace adept with synaptic if you want to stick with Ubuntu
There is also the 'kde' meta package for a more complete KDE environment.

even though KDE has no real future in Ubuntu.
I disagree. For me Kubuntu is one of the best KDE distros around and it keeps improving.

skoal
November 11th, 2007, 05:23 PM
When changing distros or DEs, most people's experience in a new Toyota comes from driving Fords all their life.

I say, figure out the clutch, and have fun making donuts out in the parking lot.

\\//_

infoseeker
November 11th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have used all the Kubuntus since before Dapper and I haven't had any real issues with any of them. Currently using Ubuntu tho :rolleyes: for no really good reason. Can reboot into Kubuntu if I wanted to at any time. Ubuntu with Ubuntustudio theme looks great.

Incense
November 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM
When changing distros or DEs, most people's experience in a new Toyota comes from driving Fords all their life.

I say, figure out the clutch, and have fun making donuts out in the parking lot.

\\//_

That's a good point. I've always held back my judgement from a new distro or DE until I've used it for at least a week. Pounding on it for an hour or so really does not tell you much.

petersjm
November 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I would also agree though that there are other distros who do a much better job at KDE (OpenSUSE being my choice).

I'm downloading OpenSuSE now to give the LiveCD a whirl... Does it use all the same konsole (terminal) terminology like sudo and aptitude etc? Don't want to have to learn new commands! :D

tubasoldier
November 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm downloading OpenSuSE now to give the LiveCD a whirl... Does it use all the same konsole (terminal) terminology like sudo and aptitude etc? Don't want to have to learn new commands! :D

Linux is Linux. Bash is Bash. KDE is KDE. Gnome is Gnome. 98% of commands are the same. However, you will find that the terminal is not necessary in OpenSuse. Some may disagree. I still use the terminal myself, but never used it for system configuration.

blithen
November 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Fluxbox=beautiful!

cyclefiend2000
November 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
i have kubuntu 7.04 installed. i dont have any major problems with it. however, there are some things that just dont seem to work right, but i figured it was just me. i tried compiz-fusion, installed it 3 or 4 times. it never worked right.

i just installed fluxbox, and i am liking it so far. i was actually thinking about nuking kubuntu and installing fluxbuntu instead.

Incense
November 11th, 2007, 09:44 PM

OpenSUSE has a root account, so you would use

su

for root access, though you can setup SUDO if you really want it. SUSE does not use APT, it uses YaST for package managment, or zypper for the CLI. Installing from the command line involves

zypper install package name

Anyway, if you have questions hit the openSUSE section of the other OS. I don't want to take over this thread.

Back on topic, I have never been able to get Compiz working under Kubuntu. I thought it was just me too! Kubuntu 7.10 does feel a lot better this go around. It feels like they actually put some thought into this realease (kubuntu-restricted-extras, dolphin, the kde tracker...uh...stregi?) so they are getting there, but it feels like kubuntu is moving in slow motion while ubuntu is flying forward with every release. It will be interesting to see what 8.10 looks like with KDE 4.

zenwhen
November 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I just installed kde-core again just to see if I could use it for a day or two to understand it better in case I need to help someone with it. I cannot use KDE for more than ten minutes without logging out so I can get back into gnome. I hate pretty much everything about KDE, unfortunately.

petersjm
November 11th, 2007, 10:26 PM
OpenSUSE has a root account, so you would use

su

for root access...Back on topic...

Thanks for that. I DL'ed suse but it wasn't the Live version so didn't install it just for a test drive.

But like you said, back on topic... I too have been using Kubuntu for quite a while now. Had problems in the last release with Adept, but everything seems to be working fine in 7.10. (Even if I did try OpenSuSE, I'd probably stick with Kubuntu as it's what I know...)

I've got Compiz Fusion working flawlessly in 7.10 and Beryl in 7.04 before that. It was the 6.x series that Desktop Effects wouldn't work for me. So all in all, I'd say I'm happy with Kubuntu; seems to be going in the right direction (though I had to drop Dolphin as filemanager and continue to use Konqueror - much nicer).

Xanatos Craven
November 11th, 2007, 11:39 PM
That sounds as if Kubuntu is not KDE centric.
I was clearly referring to the Ubuntu brand as a whole. Which brings up one of my pet peeves... I really wish that Kubuntu and Xubuntu weren't treated as separate distros, and instead Ubuntu gave users a choice of KDE, GNOME, XFCE or a window manager upon install. And less this-toolkit-only and more of a the-best-tool-for-the-job philosophy for default packages (within reason) would do Ubuntu as a whole some good. Firefox isn't part of GNOME either, you know...

I wish, at minimum, that we at least had a choice between "Kubuntu" and a "Ubuntu KDE", if Kubuntu has to keep existing. Even a metapackage for that would be better than nothing.

I disagree. For me Kubuntu is one of the best KDE distros around and it keeps improving.
I'm not sure I can agree with you completely, but you are correct that it does keep improving. Otherwise, there would be little point in officially supporting it at all.

I've got Compiz Fusion working flawlessly in 7.10 and Beryl in 7.04 before that. It was the 6.x series that Desktop Effects wouldn't work for me. So all in all, I'd say I'm happy with Kubuntu; seems to be going in the right direction (though I had to drop Dolphin as filemanager and continue to use Konqueror - much nicer).
Interesting you mention that. Compiz Fusion was very buggy for me in Kubuntu... kept on crashing (especially when changing themes), screwed up my desktop pager, displaced system tray icons (namely adept-notifier) and didn't show names for windows when task-switching.

LaRoza
November 11th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I just installed kde-core again just to see if I could use it for a day or two to understand it better in case I need to help someone with it. I cannot use KDE for more than ten minutes without logging out so I can get back into gnome. I hate pretty much everything about KDE, unfortunately.

What do you dislike about KDE? I am asking because I am not a fan, but have not found any issues hate worthy on it. (I use Fluxbox, and don't prefer GNOME or KDE)

cyclefiend2000
November 12th, 2007, 04:49 AM
displaced system tray icons (namely adept-notifier)

this was one of the problems i was having with compiz-fusion. really annoying. i couldnt get the "cube" to work either. overall compiz was way too buggy for me to use.