PDA

View Full Version : Video mp3 player that works in Linux

Aiello
November 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, this is basically the only thing stopping me from making the plunge. I love my Zune, it has great audio and does everything I want it to, but I am tired of the idea of duel booting with Windows. Does any one know of any mp3 players that work with Linux that have the following qualities:

-16gb or more space
-2.4 inch or larger screen
-not too thick(.55 inches or less)
-radio
-nice sound
-video
-in the realm of $250
-not a bloody iPod:mad:

I know these requirements are a bit specific, but any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. I have searched high and low on the internet for something like this with no avail, so I am hoping you guys can come up with something! Thanks!

bruce89
November 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I was getting ready to say that MP3 is only a bad audio codec, not a video one.

pelle.k
November 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't most media players removable usb storage devices with some extra hardware built in to actually play the files on it?

I haven't come across any mp3 player that didn't get mounted with gnome-volume-manager as a regular storage device yet, and i seriously wouldn't recommend any player that had any kind of interface that would require a proprietary/special software to access it's memory bank.

FuturePilot
November 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I haven't come across any mp3 player that didn't get mounted with gnome-volume-manager as a regular storage device yet,

Try plugging in an MTP device.
Just make sure whatever player you get isn't an MTP device.

Aiello
November 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I suppose some audio only are, yes. I probably should have named the thread pmp,(portable media player). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything that has the specifications I want that doesn't need special software.

kanem
November 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Sandisk Sansa View (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1364)-SanDisk_Sansa_View_MP3_Players.aspx). 200 Bucks for 16GB. 2.4" screen, 0.4" thick, radio, microSD slot, No extra software needed, works with Linux and Macs.

_sAm_
November 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I have read that the latest Sandisk players will only work with ms mediaplayer... And perhaps you want the device to work with Amarok, Rythmebox and so on, and not all will. My player will mount as a fat32 storage device, but I cant get it to work with Amarok.

Cowen makes very good players, they support a lot of formats(flac, ogg, mp3 etc.), batteri is very good and even advertise that they work on Linux;
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

So check them out:-)

Aiello
November 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Sandisk Sansa View (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1364)-SanDisk_Sansa_View_MP3_Players.aspx). 200 Bucks for 16GB. 2.4" screen, 0.4" thick, radio, microSD slot, No extra software needed, works with Linux and Macs.

I think sam is right. I haven't seen any good documentation about the View working in Linux. It seems like a nice device, too.
As for the Cowon pmp, it is 22 mm thick! That is just way too big to carry around in my pocket every day. Any other suggestions?

Rapax
November 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Check out the Cowon iAudio series. I had an X5 for years, and while that's getting a bit dated now, they have enough other players (new ones too) that should fit the list you provided.

kanem
November 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I think sam is right. I haven't seen any good documentation about the View working in Linux. It seems like a nice device, too.
As for the Cowon pmp, it is 22 mm thick! That is just way too big to carry around in my pocket every day. Any other suggestions?
Whoops. I could have sworn I had seen somewhere that they worked fine with Linux, but after some searching just now I see I was wrong. Although some did get it to work but only after too much hassle. Oh well.

Aiello
November 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I am looking at the Cowon D2, but I am a bit turned off by its thickness. If someone has this, can you please tell me if it is too thick to keep in your pocket for every day use?

kanem
November 11th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I am looking at the Cowon D2, but I am a bit turned off by its thickness. If someone has this, can you please tell me if it is too thick to keep in your pocket for every day use?
I don't know much about the thickness, but the thing that turns me off about the D2 when it comes to pocketablility is that it has touch screen controls with no tactile feedback. So to do just about anything you have to take it out of your pocket and look at it directly. I like being able to fastforward, rewind, change volume, etc. without taking it out of my pocket, especially in the middle of winter.

But back to the size, you could try going to sizeasy (http://sizeasy.com/) and compare it's size with something you have, like a pack of cards.

Aiello
November 11th, 2007, 02:46 AM
The Cowon D2 does have some controls on the top, but it seems awfully thick. It is even thicken them my Zune, which I lovingly call my "Brick". I just can't seem to find a player that fits all my needs that would work in Linux. Damn, how I wish the Zune 80 would work in Ubuntu!

Aiello
November 11th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Well, I guess since I am do for a new computer in about a year I will look some more then. But, still, if someone wants to suggest something that fits all my requirements, please feel free to do so!

rsambuca
November 11th, 2007, 03:47 AM
If you aren't too attached to the radio, the Archos would work.

Aiello
November 11th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Unfortunately, I am. I need to listen to my talk shows while walking to school! I guess I could go with the D2, but it is so thick and it has only 8gb of memory. Since I don't need anything right this minute, I might just wait a few months and see what else comes out.
Thanks for all who helped me, though!

magret55
November 19th, 2007, 04:25 AM
After a few hours of frustration and reading lots and lots of posts on lots of forums...

The Sansa View (first fw version anyway- I haven't updated) will switch to MSC mode if you press and hold the left button and switch into hold mode and then (still holding) connect it to your computer.

I hope that soon there will be a way to connect in mtp mode, because I was looking for the same thing that you are, and I really hope that I have finally found it.

inversekinetix
November 19th, 2007, 04:54 AM
get yourself a gp2x, you wont be disappointed. check out the homebrew apps for it too.

little_penguin
November 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I recently bought the Cowon iAudio 7 - it plays various audio formats including ogg, flac, mp3, and is linux-compatible. It has a mini video screen, a radio, and is very light (60g), small and pocketable, excellent sound. If the screen isn't too small for you, maybe that might be an option.

kanem
November 20th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I recently bought the Cowon iAudio 7 - it plays various audio formats including ogg, flac, mp3, and is linux-compatible. It has a mini video screen, a radio, and is very light (60g), small and pocketable, excellent sound. If the screen isn't too small for you, maybe that might be an option.
Ooh, that one's on my shortlist. How easy is it to control the player without looking at it, as in when it's in your pocket? Nothing too complicated, just skipping to next song, pausing or changing the volume? Thanks.

little_penguin
November 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'd find it a bit awkward from in my pocket because it's a touch/slide type control. The controls can be tapped with the finger to go from one song to another but you have to know you're tapping in the right place ;). It's best if you look at it in a store, take hold of it, plug in your earphones, check out the controls and see if you like it. You don't have to buy it there, you can always order off the net if you decide you want it.

kanem
November 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'd find it a bit awkward from in my pocket because it's a touch/slide type control. The controls can be tapped with the finger to go from one song to another but you have to know you're tapping in the right place ;). It's best if you look at it in a store, take hold of it, plug in your earphones, check out the controls and see if you like it. You don't have to buy it there, you can always order off the net if you decide you want it.
Thanks for the info. I've actually never seen it in a store, but from your description, I think I'll pass. That was the main thing concerning me. Operating it without taking it out of my pocket is essential in Canadian winters. I got a bit of frostnip on one hand one winter solely from taking my mp3 player out and my glove off so I could control it.

colnizster
November 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
i have a creative zen vision m. it has a 30gb drive, fm radio (crystal clear; why don't all mp3 players have this?), video, good sound, isn't a bloody ipod, and costs less than 250. it is around half an inch thick, possibly a tad more, but that's the only qualification in question. and, it can output video/audio!!! to any device with RCA jacks! that's a real selling point for me at least. i can quickly and easily manage files on it using gnomad2 (very small, simple, unobtrusive program) in ubuntu.

Blutack
November 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I love my 4 year old Archos gmini xs202
Its survived everything from washing to high speed downhill crashes, is STILL smaller than any other 20gb mp3 player, uses standard usb cables and stuff. And the ID3 tag updator is built into the firmware, it is mass storage.
Drag and drop into the music folder and then it scans it, takes ~2 min for a 15gig collection and after that it only scans new files. They do bigger ones with video support. Hell, some of em even run linux!

Robertjm
November 23rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
What's your take on the View vs. the e280? The latter is definately a lot cheaper, but the View seems to be the latest and greatest.

And for those having problems connecting one, you have to set it to the setting other than MTP (which I forget as I'm typing this) and it will work great with Amarok, or so a whole bunch of threads I've seen claim.

Robert

corney91
November 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
What's your take on the View vs. the e280? The latter is definately a lot cheaper, but the View seems to be the latest and greatest.

And for those having problems connecting one, you have to set it to the setting other than MTP (which I forget as I'm typing this) and it will work great with Amarok, or so a whole bunch of threads I've seen claim.

Robert

I'm wondering this as well. So far I'm probably going with the e280 as it seems 'safer' to choose as it can be set to UMS.
Also, anyone know how the view works with a MicroSD if it's in MTP?

kanem
November 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
I don't actually have any evidence that the Sandisk View works with Linux. I thought it did but I've since been proven wrong.

But you know who is a lot more open nowadays? Sony. Which is a surprise because they used to be the king of closed formats. I used to really want one of their players for their elegance and battery life, but their proprietary hang-ups kept me away. Recently they've got rid of SonicStage and are now just MTP devices. Meaning that they are just as well supported in Linux as Creative or Apple. So not drag and drop, but still doable in Rhythmbox or Amarok.

Dapreview (http://dapreview.net/p/content/content.php?content.345) has a recent review of Sony's newest player (with a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHnz8UhxEE)) and they report that the model they got their hands on is true mass storage class, so even better than MTP. They even have a screenshot of them using it with Ubuntu.

It's up to 8GB now. I may wait for them to bring out a 16GB because, from what I've seen, I'd rather have this one than anything else out there (but I already have an 8GB ipod).

Keith_Beef
December 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM

I have read that the latest Sandisk players will only work with ms mediaplayer... And perhaps you want the device to work with Amarok, Rythmebox and so on, and not all will. My player will mount as a fat32 storage device, but I cant get it to work with Amarok.

Cowen makes very good players, they support a lot of formats(flac, ogg, mp3 etc.), batteri is very good and even advertise that they work on Linux;
http://www.cowonglobal.com/

So check them out:-)

I have had three SanDisk players. The most recent being the c140 and c200. These are audio only, but they show up as external drives on my Linux box.

The c200 has a microSD slot. Surely you can put the microSD card into an adapter, then a normal SD card reader and copy files to it?

Beef.

phyzik
February 18th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I'm searching for an mp3 player with similar options you're looking for

-16gb or more space
-2.4 inch or larger screen
-not too thick(.55 inches or less)
-radio
-nice sound
-video
-in the realm of $250
-not a bloody iPod:mad:

with the main differences being:
- I don't care about the thickness
- I can live with 8GB if it's expandable (preferably SD/SDHC slot)
- decent battery life (30+ hours for audio)

Unfortunately, not many players fit in:

- Cowon iAudio D2 (great battery, up to 16gb SDHC with good integration, works great in linux) - unfortunately, on this side of the Pond, the price is almost double the one in the US (215€ compared to 180$)

- Creative ZEN (up to 32gb base memory, very cheap, SD/SDHC slot, but very poorly integrated, works on linux if you're lucky) - that last thing kills it for me :(

- SanDisk Sansa View (nice battery life, 16gb integrated, microSD slot) - not sure whether it works in linux, would prefer classic SD slot

- Sony NWZ-A818 (nice battery, supposedly works in linux) - unfortunately, only 8gb, non-expandable

So I'm stuck to D2 - the only one that is sure to work in Ubuntu, has SD slot (up to 16gb), 52-hour battery life and a nice 3" screen - I just have to decide whether to buy it here or find a way to get it from the States...

p.s. 22mm is not that bad, esp. considering the entire player is smaller than a credit card (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41a9Dvi-EnL._SS400_.jpg)

kanem
February 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
- Sony NWZ-A818 (nice battery, supposedly works in linux) - unfortunately, only 8gb, non-expandable
Sony is rumoured to be upping the storage of their players to 16GB in the next month or so.
Linky (http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.4219)

corney91
February 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
- SanDisk Sansa View (nice battery life, 16gb integrated, microSD slot) - not sure whether it works in linux, would prefer classic SD slot

The view's predecessor, the e200 series, works in linux. Can't confirm on the view though...

Robertjm
February 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Be VERY careful if you get one of those (e200 series) as there are two versions. The first version works fine, however, the v2 is a no-go with linux. I gave up after trying to use it for a week, or so.

As was pointed out, you've got some really tough requirements there that knock most players out.

The one I didn't see on your list was the iRiver Clix2. I've heard lots of great things about it. It doesn't have 16mb of memory, only 8mb, and I'm not exactly sure whether its expandable. There have been some questions on the libMTP board about it charging through linux, but since I don't own one I haven't been following them thoroughly. On the plus side, video is supposed to scream with the screen technology they use and sound quality is up there too. Its got the built-in radio, which is supposed to be able to be used in Europe and the Far East too. (They have the same frequencies so I don't see why ANY FM-equipped player wouldn't work).

I have a Sony NWZ-s618 and am generally very happy with it. I wish it was expandable. And there seems to be issues where Amarok stores files in individual folders, rather than one folder for one compilation, though there might be something I'm missing to resolve that issue. The radio is pretty good, though you have to make sure you stretch out the earphone cord because its the antenna. If Sony does make a 16mb player, and it works in linux, that'd be pretty sweet!

Later,

Robert

The view's predecessor, the e200 series, works in linux. Can't confirm on the view though...