PDA

View Full Version : PHP/MySql issue.

Kadrus
November 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Each time I try to connect and work with a data in a database..I get an error..

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Can someone help me fix this,please?

carlosjuero
November 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
is mysql running? (Don't take that the wrong way, I ran across the same thing after doing a LAMP install.. apparently though I forgot to actually do a full install of MySQL).

Type mysql at the terminal prompt and see what it says, if it enters into the mysql command line then double check to make sure that you are providing the proper host name.

Edit: also make sure that the server is set to allow your host to connect

Kadrus
November 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
is mysql running? (Don't take that the wrong way, I ran across the same thing after doing a LAMP install.. apparently though I forgot to actually do a full install of MySQL).

Type mysql at the terminal prompt and see what it says, if it enters into the mysql command line then double check to make sure that you are providing the proper host name.

Edit: also make sure that the server is set to allow your host to connect
When I type MySql in Terminal I get
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

aks44
November 10th, 2007, 07:41 PM
What does

sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
say?

If it started your MySQL server, can you connect now?

Kadrus
November 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
What does

sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
say?

If it started your MySQL server, can you connect now?
It tells me
Starting MySQL database server mysqld..
and then after a sec or 2..i get [failed]..

aks44
November 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Ouch.

How come so many people seem to have trouble installing MySQL these days? :(

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot this kind of problems.

My best advice would be to apt-get remove --purge mysql (and apache / php / phpmyadmin if you installed them) then use the tasksel utility and select the LAMP stack. This will take care of (almost) everything for you.

Kadrus
November 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Ouch.

How come so many people seem to have trouble installing MySQL these days? :(

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot this kind of problems.

My best advice would be to apt-get remove --purge mysql (and apache / php / phpmyadmin if you installed them) then use the tasksel utility and select the LAMP stack. This will take care of (almost) everything for you.

Thanks for your help..anyway:)

slavik
November 11th, 2007, 06:04 PM
run top and check the memory usage ...
I know a server that I maintain has problems with MySQL when it runs out of all memory (physical and swap, haven't figured out why it runs out of memory)

geirha
November 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Check /var/log/daemon.log for error messages. Try
grep mysql /var/log/daemon.log

Kadrus
November 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Check /var/log/daemon.log for error messages. Try
grep mysql /var/log/daemon.log

When I try it I get a long message..rather a list..
and at the end it says:

/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

So if I am not mistaken and I know for sure that MySql exists..but there seem to be a problem...

geirha
November 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM
That doesn't help much. Could you post a few lines preceding and following that line too?

Does this give any output?
ps -ef | grep [m]ysql

Are you able to login with the root user using this command?
sudo mysql

oniiranen
November 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I'm having a similar issue. When trying to run a cgi script I get the message:

[Sun Nov 18 18:01:34 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Couldn't connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) at /home/catoss/Desktop/catoss.com/swish-e/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/CatossTemplateDefault.pm line 16.

The socket address is the wrong one, but I can't seem to be able to change it. I changed the my.cnf file in /etc so that it has the proper references, but it does not seem to help because even after restart mysql still seems to look in the wrong place.

It is weird, because a .php file in a different directory connects to the mysql database just fine. When I check the system variables via phpmyadmin, phpmyadmin also shows the right socket address.

This problem was caused when I first installed mysql via xammp, and then tried to install mysql again via synaptic. I removed the synaptic installation but now things are a bit messed up.

Any ideas what the problem might be? How come some files connect to the mysql database just fine, but cgi files or command prompt don't work.

Kadrus
November 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I'm having a similar issue. When trying to run a cgi script I get the message:

The socket address is the wrong one, but I can't seem to be able to change it. I changed the my.cnf file in /etc so that it has the proper references, but it does not seem to help because even after restart mysql still seems to look in the wrong place.

It is weird, because a .php file in a different directory connects to the mysql database just fine. When I check the system variables via phpmyadmin, phpmyadmin also shows the right socket address.

This problem was caused when I first installed mysql via xammp, and then tried to install mysql again via synaptic. I removed the synaptic installation but now things are a bit messed up.

Any ideas what the problem might be? How come some files connect to the mysql database just fine, but cgi files or command prompt don't work.
Obviously not me..:lolflag:...