PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Ubuntu translation? Microsoft is better.

abcuser
November 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi,
I am wondering what is the point of translating Ubuntu Linux to local languages? According to Lanchpad: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+translations
there is no language that Ubuntu (7.10 or 7.04) is entirely translated into.

I like English and I would never use localized Ubuntu, but my friends like Windows just because it is localized. So I can't recommend Ubuntu to my friends.

Any idea when first localization will be available. It looks like Spanish is the closes to success.

Regards,
Abcuser

PriceChild
November 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
For the most widespread languages, all software in "main" 'should' be translated. The reason you are seeing such a huge amount of translations not finished is because the universe is a BIG place. Whatever your language is... the default install should be well localised. Many later apps should be that you install, but of course there will be gaps.

If you look at that page, you will also see that on some languages there are only a handful of users contributing to some languages. These are most probably all community volunteers. They are not paid to do this.

If you would like to help fix this then please contribute on launchpads translation software.

*thread closed*