PDA

View Full Version : How do developers come up with nice names for programs?

akiratheoni
November 10th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I'm just wondering because a lot of the names are cool, like Ubuntu, Fedora, Amarok, GNOME, Samba, things like that. I know Samba was created by using a generator for words that have the letters S M B in order, but I don't know the others. Are there any methods for coming up with really cool names?

samjh
November 10th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Imagination, my friend. ;)

Well, GNOME isn't exactly a cool name. It used to be an abbreviation for GNU Network Object Model Environment.

Fedora is actually a type of hat used for Red Hat's logo.

yatt
November 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I'm just wondering because a lot of the names are cool, like Ubuntu, Fedora, Amarok, GNOME, Samba, things like that. I know Samba was created by using a generator for words that have the letters S M B in order, but I don't know the others. Are there any methods for coming up with really cool names?

Trial and error, really. Allot of projects get renamed, particularly while they are young.

Of course, actually think about just how many there are with bad names. It is quite easy to go without noticing, but the majority of apps have bad names.

akiratheoni
November 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Trial and error, really. Allot of projects get renamed, particularly while they are young.

Of course, actually think about just how many there are with bad names. It is quite easy to go without noticing, but the majority of apps have bad names.

Which does in fact make the good ones stand out :-D

Gremlinzzz
November 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
I don't think Ubuntu is a good name for a system. i am use to now .Slackware is a good name for a Linux system.:guitar:

RussianVodka
November 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Like when KDE got renamed to KDE!
Kool Desktop Environment to K Desktop Environment

akiratheoni
November 10th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I don't think Ubuntu is a good name for a system. i am use to now .Slackware is a good name for a Linux system.:guitar:

I didn't think Ubuntu was a good name either, until I learned the concept behind Ubuntu, or "humanity to others" in a nutshell. Though I do think Slackware is an awesome name too.

DeadSuperHero
November 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
It's really hard to come up with good names. Try reading a lot of poetry, watch some deep movies (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, for one), and look through different thoughts and feelings. Also, some ancient Greek philospohers names might help.

urukrama
November 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Slackware is a good name for a Linux system.:guitar:

I find it a very unattractive name.

Christmas
November 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think the most inspired name is Debian (http://www.debian.org/intro/about), I always liked how it sounds.

Since many people have asked, Debian is pronounced /ˈde.bi.ən/. It comes from the names of the creator of Debian, Ian Murdock, and his wife, Debra.
Now this is quite inspired and nice.

bruce89
November 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
The KDE lot think of a word to describe the function of the program and replace 'C's with 'K'. The GNOME lot stick "gnome-" on the front.

These days, they don't do this as much.

I have to say that Epiphany is a great name for a Web browser, and Evince for a document viewer is rather nice too.

Evince:

To show in a clear manner; to prove beyond any reasonable
doubt; to manifest; to make evident; to bring to light; to
evidence.