PDA

View Full Version : Linux-Compatible Hardware and Custom PC-Building Questions

Ireclan
November 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Hello. I realize this question is probably asked so often some of you are sick of it, but I feel compelled to ask anyway: what hardware is most Linux-compatible? I'm going to build my own computer some day, and I'd like a target to be able to shoot for when saving money. I also have a few questions regarding PC-building as well. Below I have broken down the computer into its basic components.

*CASE*

I plan on buying a case without any bezel, just because I don't want to have to mess with it every time I want to access my hardware. But what I'm wondering is whether Linux gets along well with case-integrated ports. I only plan to have USB ports on mine.

*PSU*

One question I have is what wattage to buy? Other than that, I believe Linux handles most PSUs, correct?

*HARD DRIVE*

I don't plan on having more than a 90-GB hard drive (I don't store large collections of files due to being on dial-up). Will any hard drive do, or should I look out for a specific one?

*OPTICAL DRIVE*

I just need one that writes CDs and DVDs, no fancy next generation high definition stuff (which I see as a waste). Once again, though, I'm in the dark. What kind should I get?

*MOTHERBOARD*

Getting one with Intel integrated graphics is the way to go, I hear. Is this right? I don't need Compiz Fusion. I need a few USB ports and a serial port, but other than that, my needs are met. Besides this general outline, though, I have no idea what to get.

*MOUSE*

I have been told that PS/2 mice, with no more than three buttons, are the best supported. Correct? Other than that, any recommendations?

*KEYBOARD*

This is were I get REALLY picky. I would LIKE a buckling-spring keyboard, similar to the IBM Model-M. At the very least, I don't want a Windows key (yes, I KNOW it has uses in Linux, but it's my personal little victory over Microsoft not to have a computer with any of their filthy branding on it).

*SPEAKERS*
I'm clueless here as well. Do all speakers work equally well with Ubuntu? I know my USB-powerd ones do, but that could be an anomaly.Some guidance would be appreciated.

That's about it. The only other question I have is where to shop. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

p_quarles
November 10th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Hard drive and optical drive shouldn't be a problem. The interfaces are all standardized, and I have honestly never heard of anyone having trouble with either of these items in Linux.

Intel integrated graphics is definitely the most hassle-free way of going. And many of them will do a lot of accelerated 3D stuff. I had Beryl working on mine for awhile. Many OpenGL games work for me as well, but I never was able to get Sauerbraten running.

I'm using a 5-button, USB mouse from HP. Works fine. The extra buttons simply duplicate the middle and right button functions. There are ways of configuring it to do more, but I frankly don't see the need. The questions you see about getting USB mice "working" are usually more about getting the extra buttons to work -- not getting basic functionality.

svtfmook
November 10th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Hello. I realize this question is probably asked so often some of you are sick of it, but I feel compelled to ask anyway: what hardware is most Linux-compatible? I'm going to build my own computer some day, and I'd like a target to be able to shoot for when saving money. I also have a few questions regarding PC-building as well. Below I have broken down the computer into its basic components.

*CASE*

I plan on buying a case without any bezel, just because I don't want to have to mess with it every time I want to access my hardware. But what I'm wondering is whether Linux gets along well with case-integrated ports. I only plan to have USB ports on mine.
you can remove the wires for audio/firewire/usb on most cases. i always remove my audio and firewire because i don't use them. ubuntu works fine with built in card readers in case you get a case with one.

either way, check this out:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006342
$39 and that is an awesome case. can't go wrong with coolermaster cases. sturdy, well-built and easy to work in/with. you will not find a nicer csae under $50.

*PSU*

One question I have is what wattage to buy? Other than that, I believe Linux handles most PSUs, correct?
wattage depends on your hardware. psu doesn't matter in regards to compatibility with ubuntu. it sounds like you are building a low power system. i would suggest a cheap 80+ certified psu, should run you $20 or less.

*HARD DRIVE*

I don't plan on having more than a 90-GB hard drive (I don't store large collections of files due to being on dial-up). Will any hard drive do, or should I look out for a specific one?
i always run western digital for storage and seagate 7200.10's for performance. either way, there's only like a $10 difference between 80GB and 160GB. so you might as well get 160GB drive(s).

*OPTICAL DRIVE*

I just need one that writes CDs and DVDs, no fancy next generation high definition stuff (which I see as a waste). Once again, though, I'm in the dark. What kind should I get?
the price of dvd burners have come waay down. you can get a nice 20x dvd burner for under $30 now. although, chances are, you won't ever buy media over 16x.

also, if you want to keep your insides clean, you can get a SATA optical, they are about $30 as well.

*MOTHERBOARD*

Getting one with Intel integrated graphics is the way to go, I hear. Is this right? I don't need Compiz Fusion. I need a few USB ports and a serial port, but other than that, my needs are met. Besides this general outline, though, I have no idea what to get.
well, that depends. integrated video eats up RAM. so it depends on what you want to do with the system.

*MOUSE*

I have been told that PS/2 mice, with no more than three buttons, are the best supported. Correct? Other than that, any recommendations?
USB are fine to. logitech makes nice input devices.

*KEYBOARD*

This is were I get REALLY picky. I would LIKE a buckling-spring keyboard, similar to the IBM Model-M. At the very least, I don't want a Windows key (yes, I KNOW it has uses in Linux, but it's my personal little victory over Microsoft not to have a computer with any of their filthy branding on it).
see reply to "mouse"

That's about it. The only other question I have is where to shop. Thanks in advance for any advice! :)
www.newegg.com
best service, great prices, huuge selection

Presto123
November 10th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Lol @ NewEgg. That's exactly where I would have told him. Also, check out www.tigerdirect.com. They had what I was looking for at a good price.

But, I would normally go with NewEgg because they have treated me right. The place I work for shops with them, too and I don't think they ever have problems with them.

Prices there are SUPER good.:)

Also, Logitech IS excellent! I have a rollerball mouse that I couldn't live without. Well, I could, but uncomfortably.

Ireclan
November 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I was hoping for more responses before my topic got buried under pages of other topics, as not all of my questions have been answered. For example, what brand of motherboard should I get? Also, though I have heard that Intel Integrated graphics are good, I HAVE heard of problems with the "i915" chipset.

NOTE: I have also added a new section, "*SPEAKERS*".

p_quarles
November 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Well, like I said, I've been very happy with my current mobo/integrated graphics controller, so I'm happy to give more specific details:

Mobo: Asustek Leucite3
Graphics: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller

My secondary computer (laptop) uses the i915 chipset, and it also works fine after installing the resolution patch, but it doesn't seem as friendly with 3D rendering.

RTSnLV
November 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Lol @ NewEgg. That's exactly where I would have told him. Also, check out www.tigerdirect.com. They had what I was looking for at a good price.

But, I would normally go with NewEgg because they have treated me right. The place I work for shops with them, too and I don't think they ever have problems with them.

Prices there are SUPER good.:)

Also, Logitech IS excellent! I have a rollerball mouse that I couldn't live without. Well, I could, but uncomfortably.

Newegg is great because of their cheap/free shipping as well

gn2
November 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I HAVE heard of problems with the "i915" chipset.
NOTE: I have also added a new section, "*SPEAKERS*".

You'll struggle to find a 915 chipped motherboard these days.
The problems were fixed a while ago anyway.

A good case and PSU is the foundation of any succesful PC build.

Brands to look for are Antec for cases and Seasonic for PSU's

The Antec NSK range of cases are a good choice, or if you have more to spend an Antec Solo teamed with a Seasonic S-12 II PSU, if you don't plan using an add-in graphics card the 330w model will be plenty.

Look for a motherboard with solid Japanese made capacitors, Gigabyte is a good choice.

CPU, if you can stretch to it an E6750 is an outstanding CPU, any Core 2 Duo or the new Pentium Duo would be good.
If budget is a stretch you can pick up AMD CPU's for very low prices.

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T20's and T40's are very good.

Anthony M
November 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Not to steal the thread, but considering Linux compatible mobos how does the Intel 3 series stack up. I am considering a new build using the G33 chipset. Anybody have any experience with it?

Fred_E _krugar
November 11th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Here is a wish list I made for ya .
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/TemporaryWishList.asp

samb0057
November 11th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Check out www.ubuntuhcl.org.

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2007, 12:48 AM
for the main hard drive I have found seagate to be quite linux friendly.
I am not expert on building computers but I do know components that have seemed to serve me well.
a intel motherboard seems to also work well, but I also have an asus in this one that seems to work fairly well.
for the processor, personally if you can afford it go intel, otherwise use a non 64 AMD or simular.
and yeh even if its not nvidia if you need a semi decent video intel will do...
like I said I am not an expert but I know most of my stuff.

samb0057
November 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Also, i've had good experiences with gigabyte motherboards

Presto123
November 12th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Here's my current config that may get you some ideas: MSI mobo, AMD 64 x2, HP DVD740 (R/W), 450w power supply (I forget the brand), 2 gig PQI (Decent and cheap) RAM, Maxtor 160gig IDE (I've heard of some probs with Maxtor, but I never have had any), 320 gig Westgate external, Nvidia geForce 6200 256mb (Blah, I had better performance from my 128mb Nvidia), and of course the Logitech TrackMan wheel mouse (Left the screws out of the bottom, b/c it needs constant cleaning).

Basically, I had to go on the cheap for everything, even the Mobo/Processor (Course, I wanted something up-to-date).