PDA

View Full Version : Bash script: move mouse automatically

hazica
November 10th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Hello.

I configured my infra-red remote control to power off my monitor using this little script I found somewhere

#!/bin/bash

STATUS=`xset -q | grep "Monitor is" | awk '{print $3}'`

if [ "${STATUS}" = "On" ]
then
xset dpms force off
else
xset dpms force on
fi
exit 0

It works just swell if I want to turn the monitor off . If I press the power button on my remote again, the monitor turns on (it returns from sleep mode) but remains blank. In order to see my desktop again, I have to either move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard.

So I was thinking of writing a script that automatically moves the mouse just a tiny little bit and running this script right after xset dpms force on, in the else branch. The problem is that I am clueless when it comes to writing scripts that simulate mouse movements.

Bottom line: I'm either looking for a script that can move the mouse or some alternative(less goofy) solution to my problem.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

stylishpants
November 10th, 2007, 01:46 AM
It would be easier to send a button press event.

xsendkeys Shift_L

hazica
November 10th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Thanks for your simple solution, mate!

Works like a charm.

dwhitney67
November 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the post... it gave me a good chuckle.

It would be awesome to write some code that could move the mouse! I knew what you meant... the mouse "pointer" or "cursor", but to physically move the mouse, that would have been something to see.

Anyhow, I'm glad you resolved your little problem.

hazica
November 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Actually, the idea for moving the mouse pointer/cursor in order to keep the monitor on, comes from an older xkcd comic:

http://xkcd.com/196/

fatalerr
May 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
if anyone's interested

xte 'mousermove 1 1'

omrsafetyo
May 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
What do you need installed for the xte and xsendkeys?

y-lee
May 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
What do you need installed for the xte and xsendkeys?

xte is found in the xautomation package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/xautomation)

And I am not sure but I think xsendkeys is found in the lineakd package (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/lineakd).

debbuntu
September 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
This is quite wonderful. Thanks guys. :-)

lodp
October 26th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I'd like to use this xte thing to combat a screen saver that resists all attempts to be switched off. And it works from the terminal - the mouse moves one pixel to the right and one down. But on a cronjob the mouse pointer won't move.

Here's the crontab line, with an additional command for debugging:

*/1 * * * * /usr/bin/xte 'mousermove 1 1' && echo 'mouse wiggled!' >> /tmp/mousecron.log

The cronjob's working, I get the log entry every minute, but the mouse won't move like it does when entering the command in a terminal. Tried root crontab too, to no avail. Anyone?

erind
October 26th, 2011, 05:07 AM
The cronjob's working, I get the log entry every minute, but the mouse won't move like it does when entering the command in a terminal. Tried root crontab too, to no avail. Anyone?
That's because cron doesn't have a tty assigned, try this instead:

*/1 * * * * export DISPLAY=:0 && /usr/bin/xte 'mousermove 1 1' && echo 'mouse wiggled!' >> /tmp/mousecron.log Also, an infinite loop with xte command inside, can be used and placed in the Startup Applications for the same purpose.

lodp
October 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
thanks so much erind, works like a charm now. I'm going to stick to the cronjob until I've figured out how to turn off screen blanking.