PDA

View Full Version : Getting the girlfriend to love Ubuntu!

afderrick
November 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
So I am trying to get Ubuntu and make it permanent. My girlfriend is being fun and at least giving it a try. I have a few questions for you that have come up.

Right now I am using Gnome with Ubuntu, should I try out KDE? Do you think she would like this more?

She was replying to an e-mail (Hotmail account) using Firefox (we use this in windows) and it added lots of >>>> to the reply e-mail text, where she typed was fine but the old text had it. This has never happened I tried to tell her it was firefox but it is a potential show stopper for her. Does anyone know where I can change a setting to fix this or should we start a new browser which might upset her?

Any other suggestions / help will be GREATLY appreciated!

DoctorMO
November 9th, 2007, 11:05 PM
That is nothing to do with firefox, ubuntu or anything else; that's just how quoting is done in emails.

My message
> Last personal message
>> Two replies ago
>>> ect ect...

Unless I misunderstood you.

rsambuca
November 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I would just stick with Gnome since you already have exposed her to it.

p_quarles
November 9th, 2007, 11:09 PM
It's impossible to know what someone I don't know would prefer, but I suggest installing both Gnome and KDE, and showing her how to switch between them. On the other hand, if you think she'll be relying on you for tech support, it might be best to go with whatever you know best.

As for the Hotmail issue, I doubt that's Firefox's fault. To make sure, though, you could try a couple other browsers that use different rendering engines. Namely, Opera and Konqueror.

afderrick
November 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I will try that. The problem came up when she has never seen these characters anytime before when using a windows box or windows version of firefox.

rsambuca
November 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM
It's impossible to know what someone I don't know would prefer, but I suggest installing both Gnome and KDE, and showing her how to switch between them. On the other hand, if you think she'll be relying on you for tech support, it might be best to go with whatever you know best.

As for the Hotmail issue, I doubt that's Firefox's fault. To make sure, though, you could try a couple other browsers that use different rendering engines. Namely, Opera and Konqueror.

I honestly don't think you should install them both yet. Let her get used to using linux first. Then after her comfort level has improved, let her experiment with different Desktop Environents. Otherwise, you my overwhelm her with too many changes at once. Also, installing both DE's really clutters up your menus, further confusing things.

afderrick
November 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Check, I had just read somewhere that sometimes KDE is an easier step to take as far as the menus go, I love the simplistic layout of gnome. I am also trying to get used to it but boot into windows less and less.

afderrick
November 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I'm not that bent on using Ubuntu, I can still dual boot with xp, just trying to stay away from Vista.

el mariachi
November 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Something really stupid was here.

lol great argument there xD

Editing out the moronic comment, thanks for your comprehension. -- HTL