PDA

View Full Version : alternate web browser

svtfmook
November 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
recommend me a browser. i've been using firefox, and have been for years, i love the interface. however, after the past few upgrades, firefox/swiftfox has become rather buggy for me, not starting, crashing, etc.

anyhow, i installed flock last night, but didn't have much time to mess around with it. not sure if i like everything it has going on (like, a baziilion tabs of useless junk). but again, i haven't really used it yet, so i haven't had time to arrange it how i would like it.

anyhow, knowing that i love(d) firefox, what would others recommend?

aerotheexiled
November 9th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Have you tried Opera?

svtfmook
November 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
i've tried opera on my mobile device, but didn't like it. haven't tried it in ubuntu yet.

ticopelp
November 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I agree, Opera is good. Also, if you like Firefox, you might try Epiphany. It's lighter and faster.

sudo aptitude install epiphany-browser

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Also, if you like Firefox, you might try Epiphany. It's lighter and faster.

sudo aptitude install epiphany-browser

Even better, click here (apt:epiphany-browser) and here (apt:epiphany-extensions).

FuturePilot
November 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Epiphany is very nice.
If you're using KDE Konqueror is an awesome web browser.
Opera is also nice, but watch out for the plugins. I still can't get that Mplayer plugin to work in Opera.:(

ticopelp
November 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Even better, click here (apt:epiphany-browser) and here (apt:epiphany-extensions).

Good on ya.

santiagoward2000
November 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Another vote for Opera! It's really good and lighter than Firefox.

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
To be honest, Epiphany is no faster, but at least it uses a GTK+ interface.

See my signature for my hopes.

Mithrilhall
November 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Lynx
Opera

vexorian
November 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Another vote for Opera! It's really good and lighter than Firefox.
Using opera does no good, it is closed source.

ticopelp
November 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Lynx

Oh dear lord. :lolflag:

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Indeed, I'm suprised at the number of Ubuntuers that use it.

Incidentally, at the UDS, all of the developers used Epiphany. http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/11/07/how-to-install-the-epiphany-browser/

santiagoward2000
November 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yes, I know. I try to use Firefox as much as I can, but it can get really sluggish in my laptop, and freezes constantly. I should try other options. Perhaps SwiftFox? What would you recommend?

Lynx
Opera

:lolflag: How's Lynx like? I use w3m. It's so cool!!

aysiu
November 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'd recommend Galeon.

fuscia
November 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
i tried iceape the other day. it's kind of old fashioned in that it's like driving a tank up a hill. you know it's going to get there...eventually.

perlluver
November 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I also recommend Galeon!

fuscia
November 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
isn't galeon last year's epiphany?

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
isn't galeon last year's epiphany?

Epiphany is technically a fork of Galeon. Epiphany's main goal was HIG compliance.

I heard that Galeon's functionality was to be merged somewhat into Epiphany, but this hasn't happened. Epiphany has had no rather interesting new features since 2.14, when it got tagged bookmarks.

fuscia
November 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
and speaking of webkit and epiphany....when's that going to be available to normal people?

smartboyathome
November 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
and speaking of webkit and epiphany....when's that going to be available to normal people?

It says it will be available on GNOME's 2.22 roadmap, so expect it from Hardy. :)

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Sort of now, if you look at my PPA. It's early days though, and extensions/plugins don't work.

Installing libwebkitgdk0d (apt:libwebkitgdk0d) and running ./usr/lib/WebKit/GdkLauncher is probably the best (rudimentary) way to use it just now.

fuscia
November 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Sort of now, if you look at my PPA. It's early days though, and extensions/plugins don't work.

thanks. i need the plugins, though. should be fun when it's ready to go.

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM
thanks. i need the plugins, though. should be fun when it's ready to go.

Plug-ins in WebKit (http://wayofthemonkey.com/?date=2007-10-19) are on the way though.

svtfmook
November 9th, 2007, 11:52 PM
well, i didn't like epiphany or galeon. i'm undecided on flock, waay too much stuff going on in flock, it's like someone vomited the internet all over my browser. i don't need the whole myplace thing, i don't do flickr or youtube, myspace or any of that garbage that's littered all over flock. then when i remove it all, i end up with firefox with IE icons, lol.

K.Mandla
November 10th, 2007, 01:02 AM
In relatively decreasing order of "weight" ...

Kazehakase (http://packages.ubuntu.com/kazehakase)
Midori (http://software.twotoasts.de/?page=midori)
NetSurf (http://www.netsurf-browser.org/)
hv3 (http://tkhtml.tcl.tk/hv3.html)
Dillo (http://packages.ubuntu.com)
links2 -g (http://packages.ubuntu.com/links2)
elinks (http://packages.ubuntu.com/elinks)

Some are still in alpha, but quite usable. Midori looks promising. NetSurf works for me, but seems a little scant.

And some will require you to use the dreaded CLI to compile them! :shock:

RAV TUX
November 10th, 2007, 01:17 AM
recommend me a browser. i've been using firefox, and have been for years, i love the interface. however, after the past few upgrades, firefox/swiftfox has become rather buggy for me, not starting, crashing, etc.

anyhow, i installed flock last night, but didn't have much time to mess around with it. not sure if i like everything it has going on (like, a baziilion tabs of useless junk). but again, i haven't really used it yet, so i haven't had time to arrange it how i would like it.

apt: opera9.50b (http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?distro=ubuntu&id=30253%2C30252&location=210&sub=++++&x=105&y=11)

apt:konqueror

apt:kazehakase

racoq
November 10th, 2007, 01:44 AM
To be honest, Epiphany is no faster, but at least it uses a GTK+ interface.

See my signature for my hopes.

Agreed.. people usually say that epiphany is faster than Firefox, i don't iknow where they base their benchmarchs since it seens as fast as Firefox, and since it uses the gecko engine, and doesn't have as many features as as extensible as firefox, for me is nothing more than a "crippled" Firefox.

So what? I've test it either on Linux and Windows (and is in fact the default browser for me in windows), and it beats the hell of any browser that exist. If it's a good product and it is free (although not open source), i don't see why we have to be "extremist" about a software, and not use it It doesn't make sense to me and to the majority of users.

svtfmook
November 10th, 2007, 01:46 AM
what do i do with:

anyhow, flock seems to take up a little more memory than swiftfox. but it's been going ok for me since i stripped it of all that was supposed to make it so good.

racoq
November 10th, 2007, 01:52 AM
what do i do with:

anyhow, flock seems to take up a little more memory than swiftfox. but it's been going ok for me since i stripped it of all that was supposed to make it so good.

Really svtfmook, try to adjust to Opera, it is really your best chance. I know that the tab behavior is a little different but you can in some cases override its behavior using shortcuts. Besides that, it is the faster browser in existence in web rendering, and for me the lighter browser of the leading browsers,

bruce89
November 10th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Agreed.. people usually say that epiphany is faster than Firefox, i don't iknow where they base their benchmarchs since it seens as fast as Firefox, and since it uses the gecko engine, and doesn't have as many features as as extensible as firefox, for me is nothing more than a "crippled" Firefox.

That's not what I was getting at. I like it because it has no non-free stuff, and is a real part of GNOME. Once WebKit is up and running, it will beat Opera in terms of speed I think.

Darkhack
November 10th, 2007, 02:24 AM
In my opinion, all browsers suck. It's a matter of finding the lesser of the evils. WebKit is the superior rendering engine but the problem is that the GTK+ port is still very immature. I wouldn't expect it to be implemented in Epiphany by 2.22. The Epiphany team is still dedicated to Gecko and I doubt that that WebKit GTK+ port will be mature enough by then. If you've ever tried to compile SVN builds of Epiphany against WebKit, you'll know what I am talking about. It's barely usable. That's not the fault of the Epiphany people of course.

Personally I'm fed up with all the options that are out there. Sorry to make a shameless plug, but I'm actually working on my own browser which I hope to release around April with Hardy Heron; or at the very least, get something usable out. Epiphany's source code is old and has gotten far too large for what it is and the extensions interface isn't adequate, in my opinion.

Until then (because I know you'll all be anxiously awaiting my awesome browser *ego boost*), I recommend Firefox if you can't live without extensions, Konqueror for KDE people, and Epiphany for GNOME.

racoq
November 10th, 2007, 02:31 AM
That's not what I was getting at. I like it because it has no non-free stuff, and is a real part of GNOME. Once WebKit is up and running, it will beat Opera in terms of speed I think.

I doubt that, opera beats the living crap of the other browsers, and the next version will be even faster.

The following link is one of the few reliable benchmarks i have ever seen about browser speed, and it compares with safary (who uses webkit), guess who wins ;)

http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/ (http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/)

bruce89
November 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I doubt that, opera beats the living crap of the other browsers, and the next version will be even faster.

The following link is one of the few reliable benchmarks i have ever seen about browser speed, and it compares with safary (who uses webkit), guess who wins ;)

I don't care for speed, I want something light and free. Gecko is hopeless as it is memory hungry and doesn't render widgets natively (yet).

Also, tests are unfair, as they are completely fake, and don't deal with real world performance.

racoq
November 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I don't care for speed, I want something light and free.

Also, tests are unfair, as they are completely fake, and don't deal with real world performance.

Opera is light and it is free, although not open source. Personally i don't care about this last point, since i'm no programmer i care about speed and stability.

Perhaps you can provide me with more "real" benchmarks?

bruce89
November 10th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Opera is light and it is free, although not open source. Personally i don't care about this last point, since i'm no programmer i care about speed and stability.

Perhaps you can provide me with more "real" benchmarks?

There are no such things.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3584224&postcount=19 anyway. It suggests Epiphany/Webkit is about 2, Opera 8.50 is about 5 seconds.

Anyway, I'd rather have a GTK+ browser than a non-free QT one.

racoq
November 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Glad you edited your post to provide me with a benckmark ;)

Epiphany with webkit in terms of speed its interesting, However epiphany with or without webkit, is not as extensible as Firefox, or even Opera.

I don't like "crippled" browsers

Seisen
November 10th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I have to say try out Kazahakase like K. Mandla and RavTux recommended. I like it better than Firefox myself.

smartboyathome
November 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM

Epiphany with webkit in terms of speed its interesting, However epiphany with or without webkit, is not as extensible as Firefox, or even Opera.

Epiphany is already is extensible, it just doesn't have the big audiences like Opera and Firefox. :(

lisc998
November 13th, 2007, 02:29 PM
It seems that nothing is perfect, and everything is always going to be better. How many times have I rebuilt my PC with different distro, switched to Dillo or Lynx or Konqueror or iceape. I just want the PC to be a tool, so I've moved all three of my systems to Ubuntu, and I will just use Firefox, I'm sure I would have got around to using it again anyway!

undine
November 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM

1. On my system at least, Epiphany is always ahead on the benchmarks over FF2 -- FF3 has an edge, though.

2. It is far, far more stable than Firefox for me. I could set my watch by the regularity with which Firefox crashes.

3. Like many applications in the GNOME suite, Epiphany might not have all the features of some of its more bloated cousins, but I would submit that it has all the needful ones. Minimalist? Yes. Cripped? No. Although I can fully appreciate why some people might prefer Firefox because of certain features it has available through add-ons and whatnot (I myself, am rather fond of download helper and Flashblock).

koleoptero
November 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Am I the only person whose firefox never crashes? :confused:

Mazza558
November 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM
It's a real shame in terms of Linux browsers - they all crash! The one that crashes least is probably Opera, which is only every half hour, and that's not bad. Firefox crashes (with no addons) after opening 3 or more tabs, or if I try and scroll the page before it's loaded. This is on both my PCs, and I have no crashes at all XP. I suspect it's the grahpics drivers for both ATi and Nvidia.

Takmadeus
November 13th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I reommend you use links2

fastest strongest uncluttered browser around

bruce89
November 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Yes. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/) 646 opened bugs.

Whiffle
November 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I happen to be a fan of konqueror as a browser. The only thing I miss from firefox are some of the extensions, but konqueror has everything i need and more. The adblock feature works nice, web shortcuts are awesome, and its fast as hell. Not to mention, it does way more than just browse. Right now I have 3 web pages, 3 pdf files (one tab of which is doing a split view...nothing like looking at the answer key and the questions at the same time), I'm ftp'd into my school webspace and my home folder has its own tab. It also controls Amarok from the sidebar. Did I mention its freakishly fast too?

Rotarychainsaw
November 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Woah, Galeon needs a better marketing department. I thought it just switched names to epiphany. I'm trying out Galeon and I like it a lot, seems to fix the little problems I felt were there with Epiphany. Epiphany feels a little faster though.

Also it looks like Galeon and Epiphany handle colors a little differently. Interesting.

Oh wait, wikipedia says development stopped around 2005? Maybe Galeon is using an older gecko and thats why it feels slower.

bruce89
November 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Woah, Galeon needs a better marketing department. I thought it just switched names to epiphany. I'm trying out Galeon and I like it a lot, seems to fix the little problems I felt were there with Epiphany. Epiphany feels a little faster though.

Also it looks like Galeon and Epiphany handle colors a little differently. Interesting.

Epiphany is essentially a fork of Galeon. The Epiphany people wanted something more GNOMEy, but the other Galeon people didn't.

I thought Galeon was supposed to merge back with Epiphany.

koleoptero
November 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yes. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/) 646 opened bugs.

Well it's probably because of that, that firefox works fine with me. If it was stable I wouldn't be able to even run it :lolflag:

Opera is the best of all browsers imho, but it looks like s*** in gnome.

silviur
November 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Mine never crashed so far on Ubuntu, but it did a lot on XP! :)

SomeGuyDude
November 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Swiftweasel has been just delicious for me. I like Opera, but until I can figure out how to get some of my Greasemonkey scripts to work in it (I'm looking at you Homestar Runner script...), I just can't make the switch.

Incense
November 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM

On Ubuntu my firefox crashed all the time, but it's stable and fast on openSUSE. Don't really know why.

Konqueror has my vote for an alternative.Does everything I need.

bruce89
November 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
On Ubuntu my firefox crashed all the time, but it's stable and fast on openSUSE. Don't really know why.

All these crashes are most like due to bad extensions.

Opera is the best of all browsers imho, but it looks like s*** in gnome.

What do you expect of a QT browser in a GTK+ environment.

Konqueror's engine is very good, and was forked to become WebKit. People are preparing WebKit to be the GNOME engine.

sports fan Matt
November 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
is there a fast and easy way to install swiftweasel? Im not sure what package i need but I do know i have between 382-384 memory and a celeron processor..just want to try it out..Thanks

Scruffynerf
November 14th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Kazahakase ++
ELynx +
Epiphany

Takmadeus
November 14th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Links2 is the best browser... when you load iut in graphics mode it looks so good, and runs so fast....

Tabbed browsing and extensions did not exist in the past, and still everyone was happy... we are growing accustomed to things that bloat the browsers...

Just my 2 cents

yatt
November 14th, 2007, 06:54 AM
and speaking of webkit and epiphany....when's that going to be available to normal people?Long time. Debian has it in its repos (experimental IIRC, but it may be sid).It is not ready yet. At all. You need to render the page in epiphany-gecko in order to get it to render in epiphany-webkit. Otherwise, it will just display the text on the page. I must admit, I have not used it in a bit as it is broken right now. It is looking in a library for a symbol that does not exist.

It is on the Gnome 2.22 release wishlist, I hope it is ready, but doubt it will be.

yatt
November 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Konqueror has my vote for an alternative.Does everything I need.Really? Ubuntu has had one of the best Firefoxes I have tried. Debian's is decent, but memleaks quicker. Most others are bad.

TeaSwigger
November 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've been trying Opera and find it the fastest full featured browser I've ever used (I'm running Kubuntu and suppose things may be different in Gnome). However I'm not completely comfortable with the closed source point, so will eventually give the other open source options another shake. Konqueror is an easy second to me (again, on Kubuntu).

Mine never crashed so far on Ubuntu, but it did a lot on XP! :)

+1. Firefox (Swiftfox, to be precise) hasn't once crashed on me in Linux yet, but did crash on me with some regularity in XP. Unfortunately it seems to be riddled with memory leaks and tends to be a bit sluggish on my system, rather more like what I'd expect from the big Mozilla suite, not what its initial premise asserted.

TeaSwigger
November 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
is there a fast and easy way to install swiftweasel? Im not sure what package i need but I do know i have between 382-384 memory and a celeron processor..just want to try it out..Thanks

Swiftfox or IceWeasel? ;) Assuming Swiftfox. Which Celeron; PC or laptop, and if PC how old is the PC? Yeah doesn't everything get complicated... but once that's figured it's easy. Grab the right .deb here:
http://getswiftfox.com/debian.htm
and install as they describe. Then you can remove it with Synaptic if you want to later.

SomeGuyDude
November 14th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Links2 is the best browser... when you load iut in graphics mode it looks so good, and runs so fast....

Tabbed browsing and extensions did not exist in the past, and still everyone was happy... we are growing accustomed to things that bloat the browsers...

Just my 2 cents

GUI's and such bloat OS's yet you're not gonna find too many of us scrapping those. There's a reason Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro.

I did a little experiment. I installed Epiphany and only used one tab at a time. I was quickly reminded why I leapt at Firefox and why IE7 was forced to have tabs: I sometimes look at more than one thing. You know how we avoided tabs in the past? We opened up new instances. I'd have six or seven browser windows open and that was just HELL to organize. It's why I used Neoplanet back in ~1999.

Everyone has a threshold of responsiveness to functionality. Firefox is reaching that point for me, but then... it's customizable. I only put on as many as I want. So I try to limit myself to <10 tabs and only have a handful of extensions.

gh23l
November 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I use the epiphany-gecko package form debian-sid and it works really well. Furthermore you don't need to have firefox installed. There's also an epihany-webkit available, but unfortunately it's kind of buggy, crushes very often, doesn't support back and forward moves and doesn't support Return/Enter-key (at least on my ubuntu-gutsy-system). On the other side the speed is impressive and I'm sure it will win every benchmark-test. And the font-rendering looks beautiful as well. So, I can't wait for further improvements on the epiphany-webkit-package!

RAV TUX
November 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM

apt: opera9.50b (http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?distro=ubuntu&id=30253%2C30252&location=210&sub=++++&x=105&y=11)

apt:konqueror

Did you try any of the 3 I suggested?...if so what did you think of them?

n3tfury
November 18th, 2007, 06:53 PM
another vote for opera.

SM0k3
November 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I using Opera right now it's definitely faster than firefox, but the flash plugin is really unstable in this broswer for some reason. I had the same problem with Firefox causing me to have to force kill the process like every 10 minutes.

John_5
November 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Opera is possibly the best internet browser. Ever.

artvds2708
November 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
IceApe

Malcolm
November 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Ever since I moved to Epiphany I haven't looked back. Every time I try a different browser, I really miss the bookmarks system (including "smart bookmarks") I use in Epiphany, it's really great.
It has its defects, and I wish it was a little more configurable; but its interface is very clean and polished, and it integrates perfectly in Gnome.

Mateo
November 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Ever since I moved to Epiphany I haven't looked back. Every time I try a different browser, I really miss the bookmarks system (including "smart bookmarks") I use in Epiphany, it's really great.
It has its defects, and I wish it was a little more configurable; but its interface is very clean and polished, and it integrates perfectly in Gnome.

same opinion here (although i wish bookmarks could be arranged to your liking).

crimesaucer
November 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I keep trying to give Epiphany a chance, but I like Swiftfox so much better.

daynah
November 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
It's a real shame in terms of Linux browsers - they all crash! The one that crashes least is probably Opera, which is only every half hour, and that's not bad. Firefox crashes (with no addons) after opening 3 or more tabs, or if I try and scroll the page before it's loaded. This is on both my PCs, and I have no crashes at all XP. I suspect it's the grahpics drivers for both ATi and Nvidia.

Yeah... I would suspect that's a problem with your computer. When "we" are talking about browers crashing, I don't think any of us mean that ALL of them crash and the best times we get is 30 minutes. How... How are you surfing the internet?

About Opera: I live and die by Opera. But this new beta just aint ready for the linux world yet. Under Construction. Let them work on it, the Opera Devs always put out finished, professional products. But this beta crashes on me maybe every two hours. Grr.

Onyros
November 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah... I would suspect that's a problem with your computer. When "we" are talking about browers crashing, I don't think any of us mean that ALL of them crash and the best times we get is 30 minutes. How... How are you surfing the internet?

About Opera: I live and die by Opera. But this new beta just aint ready for the linux world yet. Under Construction. Let them work on it, the Opera Devs always put out finished, professional products. But this beta crashes on me maybe every two hours. Grr.Couldn't agree more, Daynah. I had wondered if I was the only one having problems with the 9.5 beta, which to me is still unusable.

But this one's supposed to take a little longer to come out, at least according to Opera's (incredible) quality standards, what with the new rendering engine and all.

And if one's going to believe reports regarding Kestrel and the improvements on performance, it's gonna be one helluva release. Imagine the good old Opera we love... but even better. It's gonna take a lot for Firefox to catch up with it, if it ever does.

Mateo
November 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM
why do people use Lynx instead of Elinks? They are essentially the same, except Elinks has a few better features (like tabbed browsing). The only advantage that Lynx has is a GUI browser, but if you really want a low-memory GUI browser you'd use Dillo.

bruce89
November 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
same opinion here (although i wish bookmarks could be arranged to your liking).

That's the point in it. You don't have to customise the layout if you choose the correct topics.

Il semble que la perfection soit atteinte non quand il n'y a plus rien à
ajouter, mais quand il n'y a plus rien à retrancher.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Mateo
November 26th, 2007, 12:48 AM
That's the point in it. You don't have to customise the layout if you choose the correct topics.

No, I meant arrange the order. I have a folder "Links" that i use on my toolbar. However, the links inside that folder aren't in the order I'd like them to be. And there's no way to control that.

bruce89
November 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM
No, I meant arrange the order. I have a folder "Links" that i use on my toolbar. However, the links inside that folder aren't in the order I'd like them to be. And there's no way to control that.

I see, it's alphabetical I assume, and you want something else.

EmilyRose
November 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Another Opera fan here... been usinf it for years... Firefox and the rest are just SO slow... I know it doesnt show up on broadband near as much but you can really tell on dial up!!

And I love, love, love the cpntent blocker! I always forget how many ads there are generally on the web untill I go somewhere and ise IE/ /firefox...

kodak
November 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Epiphany plans to use the Webkit engine in Gnome 2.22. March 2008 release.

crimesaucer
November 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I'm brand new to Netscape 9.0.0.3 and so far it's been really nice.

I had been using Swiftfox on Archlinux xfce4 and it was very fast, I also had Swiftfox and Swiftweasel on xubuntu before that and it was very fast, plus I've tried Opera and Epiphany on xubuntu.

Then, recently on Arch, I've been giving Epiphany more of a try because I want to see if I could get used to it, but I still can't get over some of the things I miss from Firefox/Swiftfox. Then I tested the Firefox 3 alphas and beta 1 some, but it's not ready yet.

But last night I installed Netscape 9.0.0.3, and I have found that it is faster than Swiftfox was, has enough of my important Firefox add-ons available, and is as easy to customize with userChrome.css as Firefox is.

I also think the pages load faster than Opera and Epiphany, with that same solid, stable feeling that Opera and Epiphany have when opening and loading pages. Java, adobe-reader, and Flash, as well as all mplayer plug-ins worked directly after install. So far, Netscape feels like my new browser until the stable Firefox/Swiftfox 3 versions are ready.

tehkain
November 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Epiphany plans to use the Webkit engine in Gnome 2.22. March 2008 release.

I cant wait a working beta/alpha. I have it on my debian box and its nice but very early(no working buttons). Webkit really is a very fine platform.