PDA

View Full Version : Novell and MS extend their marriage to "help people with disabilities"

vexorian
November 9th, 2007, 12:35 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/nov07/11-07MSNovell1YearPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases

Well, this is my guess, they are going to defacto-standardize this whole accesibility framework (that's obviously gonna require you to pay an MS tax) so then only distros sold out to MS will be able to say that they are truly accessible.

It disgusts me that Microsoft doesn't have issues when using people with disabilities to improve their FUD (That happened before with OOXML vs. ODF) But now Novell as well? So, my conclussion is that you don't really need better ethics than MS' to be a Linux distributor...

I guess gnome and KDE need to react in advance to this silly attempt and make their own 'accessibility framework' and rules to improve the environments in this regards before Novell and MS get into making a (needlessly) proprietary software-dependent platform just for this...

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM
What's wrong with AT-SPI? Everyone uses this these days.

As long as stuff is under a free licence, I don't really mind.

ODF isn't the be all and end all, most people will end up using OOXML, people need to realise this.

karellen
November 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
another one of those threads...

vexorian
November 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM

ODF isn't the be all and end all, most people will end up using OOXML, people need to realise this.
It doesn't really make sense to welcome OOXML just because people are assumed to use it. Even if it was true, I choose to fight the idea of standarizing monopoly. It's better than just seeing it happen. Even If it barely just delays the dominance of a royalty dependant standard, it would be worth it, after all if we just show no resistance to it MS will just make worse and worse things.

Well, from what I saw neither novell or MS are fans or free licenses.

another one of those threads...
don't contribute to them posting.

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Well, from what I saw neither novell or MS are fans or free licenses.

Most of the things from Novell are GPL or LGPL.

I'm not saying they are brilliant, but people get all excited about it.

Anyway, software patents are useless here.

bash
November 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM
So people with a disability won't have to learn every system from the ground up again but can use the same tools on different plattforms. No offence but that doesn't sound to bad to me. MS is a corperation. And especially in the US, due to its main focus on a very liberal economy, the main goal of a corporation is to make itself "better" aka make a lot of money. So in the strive for the greatest share holder value corporations try to seek competetive advantage. Best way to get competetive advantage is a monopoly. Normally here comes the government to step in when the normal competetive market failes. But well this a whole different story. Long story short MS is far from morally perfect, but its not like they are the only ones.

I mean take a look at Google. Their CEO or founder said to the press it is the goal of Google ("their mission") to get to a point where they can tell each user what can of job they should get, what offers to decline, basically what to do, what not to do. The whole thing didn't sound like service if the user wants it, but more like we know whats good for the people. They are known for harvesting insane amounts of data. And hearings such statement doesn't really make you believe that those informations are treated with a whole lot of privacy. Well you could write pages more of problems related to google. Yet and that is my main point people in FOSS community seem to love Google above all. You get the feeling that company could do whatever they want and the FOSS community would still adore them. And why? Because they use Linux, release, endorse and sponsor quite a bit of Opensource related things (SoC and so on).

But I think its a bit simple to just divide the world up in good or bad based on (formulated a bit provocativly) if the release code GPL'ed or not. I have to say I see both as big of an evil and as big of a "good" company. I prefer Linux over Windows and think something should be done against the MS monopoly. Yet I still by MS Office because its a good product. I prefer the Google search engine over any other one because for me it gets the best result in the shortest time. Yet I still think something should be done about the never ending want for personal data.

Hmm got quite a long post. But this has been nagging me for a while. Oh and just in case you get it wrong, this was by no means an attack on the original poster. Just something that bothers me in general.

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Yeh but OOXML is a **** standard...
come on its open in name only

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Yeh but OOXML is a **** standard...
come on its open in name only

Well, have fun convincing real people to use ODF.

I use LaTeX these days anyway.

SunnyRabbiera
November 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Well, have fun convincing real people to use ODF.

I use LaTeX these days anyway.

well its obvious we have to let people know that OOXML is only good for one company... Microsoft.
or else things will never change

bruce89
November 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
well its obvious we have to let people know that OOXML is only good for one company... Microsoft.
or else things will never change

GNOME and OOXML (http://lwn.net/Articles/256428)