PDA

View Full Version : Linux on the way

wvslkr
August 29th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Interesting interview of Warren Woodford, Mepis founder at MadPenguin http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=5000. What you all think?

aysiu
August 29th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Interesting interview of Warren Woodford, Mepis founder at MadPenguin http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=5000. What you all think? I just read that, too. I think it's amazing how far Mepis has come, and I wish it the best. It was the distro that got me into Linux in the first place. I've since "moved on" to Ubuntu, but I believe Mepis is a big help in migrating people over to Linux.

drizek
August 29th, 2005, 06:05 AM
I just read that, too. I think it's amazing how far Mepis has come, and I wish it the best. It was the distro that got me into Linux in the first place. I've since "moved on" to Ubuntu, but I believe Mepis is a big help in migrating people over to Linux.
as i was reading the last answer, it sounded like he was describing ubuntu

poofyhairguy
August 29th, 2005, 08:20 AM
This might be rude but:

Hi, thanks for talking with me. I'm Warren Woodford, and yes, I'm the founder of MEPIS. We're located in Morgantown, West Virginia.

I must ask. If he is living in the US, how is MEPIS able to have all the codecs an Java by default? Does he just ignore the law, or has that stuff been taken out since I last used it?

Kvark
August 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
We also know that we hit number one at DistroWatch last January, despite the fact that Ubuntu has been stacking the deck by directing traffic to Distro Watch.
If that is true then it's a low move by Ubuntu. If it isn't true then it's a low accusation by Mepis.

Brunellus
August 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
If that is true then it's a low move by Ubuntu. If it isn't true then it's a low accusation by Mepis.
How is it a low move, exactly?

It all strikes me as rather childish. "we're REALLY number one!"

Kvark
August 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
How is it a low move, exactly?
How would it not be a low move to mainupulate distrowatch statistics to artificially get higher up in the list there?

Knome_fan
August 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Dear Warren Woodford,

In this interview at Mad Penguin you claim that "We also know that we hit number one at DistroWatch last January, despite the fact that Ubuntu has been stacking the deck by directing traffic to Distro Watch." Well, the forums did follow our rise to #1 and certainly drove it towards that, but since then there has been nary a peep about our position. Hardly a concerted effort.

Also, please talk to Distrowatch themselves. I quote "Secondly, Ubuntu and Canonical have never, to our knowledge, advertised their Linux distribution on any web site. They certainly haven't sponsored DistroWatch in any way and the only reason that Ubuntu tops our popularity charts is through having thousands of satisfied customers and through good old-fashioned word of mouth." from this Distrowatch weekly and "Only one hit per IP address per day is counted." from Distrowatch stats.

So in future, we love your distro but please fact-check before you make claims like that.

Yours,

Corey Burger
http://www.advogato.org/person/Burgundavia/diary.html?start=28

poofyhairguy
August 29th, 2005, 07:12 PM
How would it not be a low move to mainupulate distrowatch statistics to artificially get higher up in the list there?

Because such a fact is impossible to prove. Those distrowatch stats are based on crap.