PDA

View Full Version : Porsche goes green...100 years ago

Sporkman
November 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Very interesting gallery/writeup of the hybrid auto Porsche sold in the early 1900s...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0711/gallery.porsche_first_hybrid/index.html

n3tfury
November 8th, 2007, 05:52 PM
that's incredible! makes me love Porsche that much more.

thx11381974
November 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Very cool it looks like something uncle Fester would sport.

-grubby
November 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
in the early days of cars most were electric

D-EJ915
November 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM
in the early days of cars most were electric
Actually the original ones were steam, since they burned something to make the steam they were just as bad if not worse than the cumbustion engine.

Lostincyberspace
November 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Don't dis the combustion engine it was originaly designed to be used with "biofuels".

ltk5
November 9th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Wow Incredible!!

thx11381974
November 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Don't dis the combustion engine it was originaly designed to be used with "biofuels".

I don't know if that's true for gasoline engines, but it is for diesel. Rudolph Diesel designed his engine originally to run on vegetable oil it was then adapted to run on diesel which is a bi product of gasoline production. None of this matters as human caused global warming is complete bull sh*t. Global warming is occurring on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Triton, Neptune, Pluto and probably every other body in the solar system with an atmosphere. As far as I know there are no human carbon emissions in any of those places.

aimran
November 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
First I heard of mars warming up!

stinger30au
November 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
electric cars have been round for years. if your interesed you want to watch a documentary called "who killed the electric car" (http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/electric.html)

bluedragon436
November 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM
It is actually pretty interesting to see the history of electric cars, I will always be a bigger fan of the muscle cars and the newer sports cars, but I did research the history of the electric car a few years back and remember seeing this car....they were actually very advanced for the time....although Porsche has always been a little ahead...

Sporkman
November 9th, 2007, 03:35 PM
None of this matters as human caused global warming is complete bull sh*t. Global warming is occurring on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Triton, Neptune, Pluto and probably every other body in the solar system with an atmosphere. As far as I know there are no human carbon emissions in any of those places.

CO2 absorbs IR radation. More CO2 liberated from under the earth = more radiation absorbed = less radiated out into space.

linuxlizard
November 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Back in the 1980s, my high school history teach explained how the oil companies killed electric cars way back in the early 1900s. Prior to that, you had fast advances being made in electric cars and electric mass transportation (streetcars- sort of like metros).

Yes mars is experiencing global warming- keep digging and you will learn other planets in our solar system are experiencing it as well. It's not just earth and mars.

bobbocanfly
November 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM

It was on Slashdot a few months ago. Though i cant see human carbon emissions helping the plantes atmosphere. Global warming was created by Huamns and Nature

thx11381974
November 9th, 2007, 06:29 PM
CO2 absorbs IR radation. More CO2 liberated from under the earth = more radiation absorbed = less radiated out into space.

All that's correct, but the amount of co2 humans putout just isn't enough to make any difference. You should bittorrent "The Great Global Warming Swindle" it makes some good arguments & they give the scientist names and credentials. You may notice global warming activist never name the scientist who's theories they promote.

Hybrids are an interesting technology, though I'm not sure their benefits out weigh their cost. I read that you have to drive 200,000 miles to make up difference in price. Also I wonder how long the batteries last & what they cost to replace. Also their nowhere near as efficient as a diesel. I drive a 1981 diesel Mercedes & run it on vegetable oil all the time. It can be a little hard to start in the morning on veggie oil other than that it runs great

Sporkman
November 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
All that's correct, but the amount of co2 humans putout just isn't enough to make any difference. You should bittorrent "The Great Global Warming Swindle" it makes some good arguments & they give the scientist names and credentials. You may notice global warming activist never name the scientist who's theories they promote.

That is incorrect, humans liberate many many tons of carbon by buring fossil fuel deposits. "The Great Global Warming Swindle" is a propaganda piece to spread FUD, so as to diminish public support for emissions regulation.

Simple physics, my friend. No amount of GOP, AEI, or American Petroleum Institute dollars can change it. :)

thx11381974
November 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
No you have to do better than that most of the scientist in the documentary are well known & well respected people. Just google their names & read for your self. While your at it heres another 19,000

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p1845.htm

linuxlizard
November 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hybrids crack me up!
I bought a sweet little diahatsu charade in 1992 that got 50 mpg on the highway and 45 around town when it was new. It also goes up mountains no problem unless you have more than 2 people in the car, then it slows down some, but not terribly. It is no hybrid- gas only 3 cylinder engine. It handles really well on snow and ice too- have driven up ice hills and driven through storms past 4 wheel drives stuck on the side of the road. Dihatsu stopped selling cars in america around that time, so are no longer available here, which is an extreme pity. The thing has been rock solid reliable- still runs great all these years later (was a couple years old already when I bought it) though gas milage is not as good now- still over 40 mpg. It cost me 3000 used, was $7000 new. Now you tell me, who's getting ripped off buying hybrids nowadays that get the same or worse gas milege than my rock solid reliable dihatsu that's 17 or 18 years old now? Hybrids are a scam... I heard that the dihatsu not selling here anymore was something political years ago- seems a stupid move and stupid american companies don't copy the design. Of course they couldn't charge outragous amounts like they can for hybrids...